Anyone use their F12 as a daily driver? | FerrariChat

Anyone use their F12 as a daily driver?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Scudtimes, Oct 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scudtimes

Scudtimes Karting

Jun 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mr JWW
    Hey guys,

Anyone here use their F12 as a daily driver? I'm using mine more and more lately and it's practically becoming a daily! Wondered if anyone has longer term experience of this because
    I'm really enjoying it and it could lead to me selling my R8 if it continues!

ryalex likes this.
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes, I drive mine every day, to the local post office around the corner or 400 miles to Maranello, etc.
    Zero problems whatsoever.

Marcel Massini

3. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    yup, i don't drive every day but i bought my F12 to be a DD, its great for that.

Patricia2020 likes this.
  4. Scudtimes

Scudtimes Karting

Jun 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mr JWW
    Awesome, great to hear thanks 👍🏻

Patricia2020 likes this.
  5. Scudtimes

Scudtimes Karting

Jun 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mr JWW
    Perfect - screw it I might just take the plunge and DD the thing! 😃

Patricia2020 likes this.
  6. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Why waste time driving anything else if you can drive an f12:D?

7. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    If you don't have to carry more than 2 person, do you have/can you think of something better to drive every day?

I have winter tires on both my F12 and FF, I will take the F12 most of the time year round if my wife didn't take it first, and if that's the case I take the FF.

Well but that was before I got my RS. Right now I have my F12 parked elsewhere while my wife takes the FF and I take the RS. Until temperature drops more and the tires on the RS won't bite anymore, then I will swap the F12 back.

8. Scudtimes

Scudtimes Karting

Jun 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mr JWW
    AWESOME! Let's do this! Thanks for posting - always great to hear from someone so enthusiastic 😃

9. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The F12 is the easiest car to drive on a regular basis.

This time around Ferrari really nailed the proportions and the everyday usability.

forstephan likes this.
  10. AutobahnAndTrack

AutobahnAndTrack Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan G
    DD my F12 bringing my 3yrs old to the Kindergarten in the morning. The baby seat is a perfect fit in the race seats. He always cheers me up downshifting and reving the V12.

A couple of times a week I ride an open 4 lane Autobahn which means most of the time doing 200mph+, often 210+.

Besides mpg which means refueling up to 3 times a day (track day with a longer commute) it is the perfect DD.

11. Scudtimes

Scudtimes Karting

Jun 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mr JWW
    Fantastic, thanks a lot for sharing - I'll post updates of my daily experience. I'm excited now! Thanks again

12. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric

thats the truth, i go 200+ in my friends in Munich almost every time we take it out. in america that would be suicide on our crumbling roads....

Avia11 likes this.
  13. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    I'm only 1 month and 1,200 miles in, but the F12 is the most versatile sports car I've owned. Very impressive as a DD. The FF is the 12 month answer, but with other trade offs.

Avia11 likes this.
  14. Scudtimes

Scudtimes Karting

Jun 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mr JWW
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Greatly appreciated. F12 is booked in for full car Xpel paint protection this week then I'll get some proper use out of her!

15. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Every time I drive it I say I wish I could DD this thing.

16. AutobahnAndTrack

Dec 31, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan G
    Did like 200mls to the Formula 1 Track in Spa Franchorchamps, emptied 3 times the fuel on the track and went the 200 mls back home. Amazing days.

There was a funny uphill long straight on the Autobahn. I had like 200mph on top of the hill where it went downwards again. A bit like trying to lift - off a plane. ;)

Only downside is tires looking completely destroyed after a track day. Need to try Michelin Cup 2.
    On the other hand you fly by the GT3s on the straights like doing a slalom. Very funny.

17. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    As i have recently become an FF owner (first Ferrari), I am interested to know how you F12 owners get on with them in the winter. Here in the UK with temperatures already down to single digits centigrade and 0 degrees C mornings probably only weeks away I know that i will be able to use my FF without problems.

I test drove the F12 before i bought my FF and i thought it was a truly amazing car but thought that come winter it just wouldn't get any real use for about 4 to 6 months as at these temperatures there would be traction issues.

However, I am keen to hear if any F12 owners have put Winter or All Season tyres on their F12's and what difference that has made? Also if you drive it in WET Manettino mode in cold conditions is it more forgiving and easier to keep traction? In other words with the right tyres and settings could it be used all winter?

18. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    We had few threads where owners shared their impressions regarding driving F12 (with proper tires) during winter. When reading those threads I got impression that driving F12 during winter is doable, but its not enjoyable. On other hand you have reports where people drive their FF`s like crazy during winter. As conclusion, I would say you picked right car if you plan to use it through whole year and all weather conditions :)

How many miles you put on clock daily when you must refuel up to 3 times just for one day?

19. AutobahnAndTrack

Dec 31, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan G
    400mls commute plus 150mls on track make 550mls with ~70gal of finest fuel :)

20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I more or less use my F12 as a daily driver ie to work and back and misc driving .. To the store etc

21. LV Eric

LV Eric Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2006
    LA & LV
    Full Name:
    eric
    I've had my f12 for about 3 months, was gone for around 2 months. Of the month I've been home I haven't drove anything else once. I don't leave the house every day. I've drove it one tank of gas, how ever far that is.

I'll probably drive it 80% of the time if I had to guess, what I intended when I bought it. It's not a flashy f12 & in LA it goes unnoticed, which is what I wanted. A healthy Los profile car. Granted if I lived in Vegas that wouldn't be the case(I moved from there to la full time 4-5 years back.

It's very easy to drive, only issue in my turn signals dont seem to work right since I got home 2 weeks ago.

Best
    Eric

22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I know it isn't simple to do, but can you comment/articulate how much more comfortable the FF is compared to the F12 as far as daily driving? is the F12 twitchy compared to the FF?

23. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC

Hmm, the suspension on the FF is softer than the F12, so it soaks up bumps a bit better, not that it was bad in the F12, even in the normal setting, not the bumpy road setting.

I have standard seats for both, so it's basically a toss up for seat comfort.

The F12 is actually pretty tame, even in Race mode, if one doesn't boot the throttle hard at low speed. At speed, say on the highway cutting up mountain roads, the F12 drives fantastic. The FF is not that far behind. There is a noticeable difference though. The extra body roll is there and the slight deficit of power make itself known. Not saying it's slow. The FF is a unbelievable highway eating machine, acceleration to passing speed is great. It is rightfully fast and capable by itself but in my case it was too bad that it had to be measured against the F12.

24. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    got ya - thanks!

25. 2tall4economy

2tall4economy Karting

Oct 26, 2014
    Western Suburbs of Chicago (for now)
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Picked up my 360 manual last week and now Considering trading my Bentley gt for a f12.

Didn’t take long.

However I live in Chicagoland and snow is a thing. I don’t care at all about the value impact but want to be reasonably safe. I’m thinking winter tires and call it a day. But not seeing much on that topic in the boards... not sure if it’s just because of the small sample size or because they are horrible in snow...

ryalex likes this.