Zach Mayne does a youtube tribute to my Euro 308 and EFI | FerrariChat

Zach Mayne does a youtube tribute to my Euro 308 and EFI

Discussion in '308/328' started by cavallo_nero, Sep 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Hi folks, this is a 10 minute video that Zach put together on my car. It was a fun day of filming, all footage was recorded in Deer Creek Canyon , Colorado, the street i live on, what a blast. I have a true dual exhaust tucked up in the euro chassis, it sounds much better in person, but you can get the idea from the Vid.
    I have done lots of mods in the last 21 years. Enjoy

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Albert-LP, Pero, Rosey and 6 others like this.
  2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Bellisimo, !!! One thing I did not agree with ,was the comment about not getting this car to slide, the truth is , the 3x8s are the best and most fun cars to slide !!! I wish my 328 had that sound !! Tubi is cool, but that EFI with the carb sound is fantastic !!

Thank you

3. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    That 308 sounds spectacular! Nicely done, bravo.

cavallo_nero likes this.
  4. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    I totally agree, and i am very good at flcking the car into the corners. much better than a 911, contrary to Zachs statement. Car sounds better than in the video, true dual exhaust and TBs add to that.

5. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Your car is incredible! Love that EFI setup... really so cool. I also noticed the hood looks like it's from a later model, did you do that for cooling?

cavallo_nero likes this.
  6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That is a thing of beauty

cavallo_nero likes this.
  7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I think I am going to put my deep front air dam back on now

Dinzo22, cavallo_nero and 48969 like this.
  8. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Nice vid.

He took some vids of my car after its 3.6L upgrade, but i haven't seen the finished production yet.

Doug

cavallo_nero likes this.
  9. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven
    What brand of ITBs did you go with? Does Holley make them?

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    cavallo_nero likes this.
  11. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thanks Gordon. Good point, let’s hear more about that exhaust!

cavallo_nero likes this.
  12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I don’t really like GTSs...but have always really, really liked yours...

Maybe it’s the black (I have two black GTBs) or the GTB quarter window treatment...whatever it is, well done!

cavallo_nero likes this.
  13. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Thanks everyone, Ive been upgrading this car since day one, 20 years ago. The hood is my 78 hood cut the rectangle out and put an OEM later 308 vents. The hood from later models with the vents wont fit a GTS or GTB. I have a custom aluminum radiator up front too. Sure helps with teh cooling at this altitude.
    The ITBs from Borla are amazing, The linkage is spot on, i was their prototype/test mule for updating the linkage.
    The side louvers on the quarter windows being cut out look less 'dated' than the silver louvers. I made that split rear bumper from scratch.
    Then theres the exhaust, since i have the euro car with shallower trunk, I was able to tuck 2 magnaflows up there. The sound and performance are awesome, I like that i painted them a matte black, it really comes together from the rear view, and its a much cleaner look, so hard to capture in pics.
    I doubt a dual setup like mine can fit on the US cars.
    The car runs fantastic, i average 20MPG, and my foot is in it to 7000 rpms most of the time of course.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    How did you go about making the rear bumper?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    i have a whole thread on that bumper fab here on fchat. not sure how to find that, it was like 15 years ago.

16. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I love that split bumper. I’d like to do that on my US steel 77 GTB and fill in the license plate depression like the on the VRs then drop the license plate down. I have all the euro bumpers, brackets, Carello front markers, and front grill, as well as a pair of Cibie airports to put up front as DRLs. Amber pop ups will round out a nice tribute GTB on shallow coffin spokes.

cavallo_nero likes this.
  17. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Questions on your EFI:

Did you tap off each TB port, below the throttle plate,and tie them all togetehr into one small "plenum" to get an average on MAP? (manifold absolute pressure, for you non-efi guys).

I know from using vacuum gauge, you get tremendous pulsing, and not stead vac, unless you use very small orifice to allow the pulses to smooth out, which will give consistent reading, but also adds lag time for response. How did you handle getting stable, responsive MAP reading?

Those extra hoses to the airbox on the left side: Did you determine through MAP readings inside the airbox at WOT that the normal RH inlet is too small? Or did it just seem like a good idea?

Reason i ask that, is my calcs show the RH air inlet can support at least 350 HP, at 6000 RPM based on inlet cross section, but that does not account for any potential turbulence losses from air lowing around the outsides of the air filter, to get to all the square inches of filter area so there is minimal delta P loss across the air filter element (6" H20 max allowable delta P across filter).

Thanks,
    Doug

18. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    hi Doug, yes, i tapped into each TB for MAP and collected them all together for a steadier signal. Its been working great!
    The airbox mod just seemed like a good idea. seems to be working as that side of the air filter always shows dirtier now, whereas it would normally be clean on that side.

19. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    It's barely shown, but did you modify the center AC vents also?

I've been toying with doing that, interested if you've already gone down this path.

20. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Yes, no A/C in the car, meaning you can remove the flap on each of the air intake controls by the spare tire under each front fender to let in so much more air to the cabin (i think i have a thread on that procedure on here). and in place of the radio, i have an aluminum bezel that houses an A/F meter and a pyrometer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Brian Harper likes this.