Warbirds for sale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Warbirds for sale

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by F1tommy, Mar 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I always enjoy reading your posts.

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I got to thinking about all of the PT's and I think that my favorite for easy flying was the PT-23 for being crisp, stabile, and nice to fly. Of course, it is impossible not to like the Stearman for smoothness, strength and predictability. I learned a lot of flying maneuvers on my own in a Stearman because it always came out of whatever contortion you put it in and it wanted to fly as much as you did. The Ryan was not for someone with low flying hours. The swept back wings made it dangerous at low speeds if you got it a little sideways. It was the fastest and hardest snap rolling airplane I ever flew and spins were quick and tight. Altitude and airspeed were your best friends with this airplane.

showme1946 and tomkatf like this.
  3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    You sir have one F-chat.

Coolest thing I have seen on this site WOW

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Jacob Potts likes this.
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Jacob Potts likes this.
  7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

HOLY MOLY!

They have a spare Griffon for 150K Pounds!

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
  10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James

11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    What about boneyards ? It seems like some of these aircraft could be sold to collectors, instead of being chopped up for scrap.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Remember Walter Soplata? He had his own warbird boneyard, and it's where that XP-82 came from. His son has written a book about the enterprise:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

kylec and F1tommy like this.
  13. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Saw it at Oshkosh last summer...gorgeous plane...

zygomatic likes this.
  14. Tim Wells

Tim Wells Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Full Name:
    Tim Wells
    A PT-22 is not difficult to maintain and fly as long as you fly it the way it was designed to fly. Meaning, don't go out and buy one and expect to fly it like a cub because it will bite your arse. They're nimble, noisy, a hoot to fly (my personal favorite) and smooth on the controls. They land smooth as well with the type gear they have. You just never want to find yourself low, slow, and uncoordinated, that is where that bite I mentioned before comes in.

You'll putt around about 105 mph at about 1625rpm and 14gph grinnin' all the while. It won't break the bank in maintenance as there's not much to em'. Keep in mind that they came with a few variants of the Kinner, some with grease fittings for the rockers and those with an oil system to lube that area. The pump isn't the best and often the top cylinders don't get the oil they should. If you buy one, DO a pre-buy and pull the rocker covers and check the rocker shafts for rust, especially the top 3, if they sit around a lot, that is a trouble spot. Make sure the engine is sound, check the cylinder base nuts with their Pal nuts, the studs like to loosen up. They only have 165HP new so plan ahead on all your maneuvering. Of the 400 odd hours in warbird trainers, this was my favorite to fly even over the Stearman, just something sexy and nostalgic about it I guess.

These particular trainers are getting more rare as time goes by due to attrition so if you've never flown one, get some training by someone who is well acquainted with that model and maybe some time in a PA-20 Pacer, that'll keep your feet busy.

Attached Files:

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #40 F1tommy, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    With Paul Allen's collection up for sale including a rare FW189 and an original Zero fighter I thought I would bring up a few links. So you can have a Bearcat in good flyable condition for under $3 Million. Still think they are a better buy then classic Ferrari's, Maserati's and Alfa's, although very expensive to keep but rare as hell. Unlike cars the military scraps almost everything. Zero is sold.

Fighters | Platinum Fighter Sales | United States

Unique Focke-Wulf Fw 189 Offered For Sale (warbirdsnews.com)

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  17. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I gotta ask. What held you back from paying the full 1.4M? Something about the plane wasn't exactly what you wanted?
    Assuming that if you could afford 1.2 you could afford 1.4 :)
    P-38s for sale can't happen very frequently, but of course at the right price just about everything is "for sale".

18. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Would of been pushing my limits to afford half, The offer was with a partner. I had just bought the Corsair. To pay for it I sold a T-34, L-2 and a Testarossa and refinanced some other assets. I remember when P-38's were 250K and few wanted them due to maintenance costs. Of course in hindsight I wish I would of made it happen.

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mike- Affirmative, the good old days. You could buy a brand-new P-38L from Lockheed for $1200 in 1945. Considering the government was paying $97,147 for one in 1944, not a bad deal. The earlier ones were even more, as much as $163K before economies of scale brought the price down.

20. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Thanks for the reply Mike.
    Has the market for P-51s similarly ~quadrupled in 10 years? Moonbeam McSwine supposedly sold for ~$1.5M in 2012: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/p-51d-moonbeam-mcswine-bidding-adieu-to-the-usa.393176/

Your post on Corsair vs P-51 is a great read: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/141987331/
    Have you ever flown (pilot or passenger) a P-38? That would be a very interersting comparison vs the other two apex-predator US WWII fighters (plus the P-47).
    I haven't found anything on google directly comparing performance of the 4: climb rate, max speed, ceiling, turn/roll rate, etc. Complicated by different versions but would be very cool to see a head-to-head flying comparison like car mags do supercars :)

This P-38 was listed for $6.5M in 2015, claimed to be "the finest P-38 restoration to date."
    https://www.warhistoryonline.com/military-vehicle-news/p-38-lightning-for-sale-6-5-million.html?chrome=1&D4c=1&D_4_6cALL=1&D_4_6_10cALL=1&A1c=1

This EAA article says one buyer scooped up FORTY EIGHT of them at that bargain basement price! https://www.eaa.org/eaa-museum/museum-collection/aircraft-collection-folder/lockheed-p-38l-lightning---n3800l

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is a book I read many years ago written by a famous British pilot of the period (his name escapes me) Tested every fighter of consequence of all parties of WW2. Including jets and as I recall unpowered flights in a Komet. Very interesting book. I remember he was particularly taken by BMW powered FW190s.

22. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Wings on my Sleeve by Eric Brown?

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am almost certain it was Eric Brown but do not remember the title.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The other person who could tell us is Steve Hinton.

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The P-47 and P-51 were both faster than the P-38, but the P-38L could outclimb both. Initial roll rate for the P-38 was much slower than for the other fighters and German pilots used a quick roll and split S to escape from P-38s if they saw them. Later P-38s with hydraulic aileron boost had better roll rates, but still slower than fighters with all their mass around the fuselage centerline. At relatively slow speeds (~250 mph), P-38s with maneuvering flaps could turn tighter than just about all contemporary fighters, including the Spitfire. It took the P-38 longer to get to whatever bank angle needed to start the turn, though, and airspeed was life in an aerial engagement. The P-38's parallel gun and cannon fire was an advantage in combat. Other fighters had their wing armament set to converge at some fixed distance, usually around 300 yards. Short or long of that, dispersion was an issue.