MFH 1/12 Wire Wheels Assembly | FerrariChat

MFH 1/12 Wire Wheels Assembly

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by daynyc, Oct 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    I have owned a 1985 308 QV for about a year. Before I bought my full-scale Ferrari, I started building a Model Factory Hiro 1/12 scale 1962 GTO. The model is 98% complete and looks absolutely beautiful. However, I stopped working on it when it came to the wheels. I found building the rest of the model challenging, but not beyond my capabilities. Building the spoke wheels is just incredibly tedious and I stopped work because I build models for fun, not to torture myself. One expert model builder estimated that it takes him approximately 2 1/2 hours to build a wheel. If I could stick with it, I think one wheel would take me about 8 hours of excruciating concentration. I have no problem with the instructions. I am used to working with jewelers' magnifying lenses. I have been using CA glue, assuming I would reinforce with epoxy once a wheel is completed. Am I missing something? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    No, you aren't missing anything; building an MFh model is akin to sticking yourself in the eye while dropping an anvil on your foot at the same timer; but if you can endure that the completed model should be very satisfying. I have built four of them, but don't have any more patience left to build another.

Rosey likes this.
  3. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    Thanks. I knew it would be challenging and, up until the wheels, I was enjoying and meeting the challenges. Perhaps I will have to wait to see if I get really, really bored sometime this winter. But, even at a very healthy 72 years of age, I'm just wondering if life is too short to struggle with four of these things. I'm actually surprised that some enterprising masochist does not sell them, assembled, on eBay. I could be tempted.

4. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    Fernando Pinto (look on Facebook) doe do some 1/12 wheel sets, as well as other scales. Not sure if they are MFH compatible, but it might be worth a look.

5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Fernando's 1:12 wheels will not work for the GTO. They are only for 1930s Bentley's & Alfa's. Completely different.

amerikalei likes this.
  6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

Fernando also has made a batch of Ferrari 250 GTO wire wheels in 1/12th scale now. Ask him if he has anymore on his ebay account crazycar.

Lusso123 likes this.
  7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Ah ha!! I stand corrected. Thanks for that info Tom, I did not know about those new wheels from FP.

8. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    Fernando does make his own 1/12 GTO wheels, but not the MFH ones. It looks like I will have to tough it out. Thanks for your suggestions.