F430 Round HVAC Vent Broken Tabs | FerrariChat

F430 Round HVAC Vent Broken Tabs

Discussion in '360/430' started by Fv81587, Oct 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
    I realized today that my far RH (passenger side) side HVAC vent was disconnected from the dash and had come unsnapped. I tried to snap it back in place but realized that there is only 1 tab remaining on the vent. I've never had it out before so I can't say how the tabs broke or where they are but does anyone have any good ideas how to repair the vent tabs? Of course I'd rather repair it instead of paying $100's of dollars for a new vent with tabs? Thank you for any ideas you may have.
    Frank

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Email me some pics of what you have going on, I may have something here to help.

3. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
  4. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
  5. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I have EXACT same issue on the same vent. Scud vents have black inner trim ring instead of silver so a bit harder to come by. Would love to hear of a “fix”

6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    As a temporary measure you could try some black buytl cord to keep it seated.

7. 66ss427

66ss427 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2017
    N. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    It seems to be a common problem. Originally I was cleaning the sticky junk off. Broke a couple of tabs learning how to take them out. See picture of spring pullers. More recently I sent all 10 of the vents I had to get one set of 5 refinished at StickyRX. I used a good double sided stick tape to help the tabs. It worked fine. Now they’re all out. I will probably use the double sided tape again. Unfortunately the tabs are very flimsy. AND the foam inside is a joke too. Anyone ever try to replace the foam in the flaps ??? I’m going to see if maybe replacing it with leather or something is possible ‍♂️
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
    I felt around in the air vent hole in the dash without the vent in place and found one of the original broken tabs and then found some similar shape and size plastic tabs from an old cable box which I cut off. I used some Hardman brand flexible epoxy, tape and some toothpicks for spacing to reattach the broken and replacement tabs. After curing overnight I reinstalled the air vent and it snapped in perfectly and the tabs did not rebreak. I think the key was the flexible epoxy which allowed the tabs to bend slightly during install and then hold tight once installed. Sorry I only took one picture during the epoxy process. Only the two toothpicks that are touching the tab are needed the other one is not doing anything.
    Frank
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

armedferret likes this.