Most pointless drives in your toy? | FerrariChat

Most pointless drives in your toy?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by cwall, Sep 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    I just drove 10miles (16KM) each way to go to Lowes, 3 times. I was purchasing two hooks that will be hidden under a table and changed my mind on the color of the invisible hook 3 times. Best time I've had all week.

stavura, Alcav5, Tim Ryan and 8 others like this.
  2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have been known to drive 25 miles to Total Wine to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner (passing about a half dozen other wine stores along the way). :)

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Drove 60 miles round trip in the Cali to pick up a turnip - yes, a single turnip - at the grocery store for a soup that I was making for dinner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I could have gone to a closer store, done without the turnip, taken the truck, etc. but where would be the fun in that?
    T

timjen88, stavura, otakki and 9 others like this.
  4. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I dropped my 458 off at my buddy's shop today to have some upgrades done to it but I forgot the black signals hes going to install. When I got back home I jumped in my F12 to drop the signals back off even though I have to go back down tomorrow to pick up one of my trucks. If it's not raining, I look for any excuse to jump in one of the F cars. Everyone I sent the pic to was like "Who drove the other one down?!?!?!?" :cool:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Alexcle, Andynyc, cwall and 5 others like this.
  5. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    I take my 488 to get groceries on a regular basis.

6. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    home depot! costco! Then I realized how dumb I was with home depot drive what if there is a nail in the parking lot? gosh I was dumb. Costco though was good for FF, GT3 and 458. The frunks of gt3 and 458 are not as small as my wife assumed. lol

cwall likes this.
  7. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Awesome pair “Chadly”

MDS

Chadly likes this.
  8. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Went 30 km out to the hardware store although I knew it would most probably be closed by the time I get there. I could have probably checked their website, but what's the fun in that!

Yes, they were closed.

9. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    It can be fairly argued that no drive in the Ferrari is "pointless." The point is the drive.

10. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    One can argue my occasional use as a DD to and from work in bumper to bumper traffic is pointless but since COVID-19 with lighter traffic in the N.Y. area the morning drive in has been a blast.
    Recently the traffic has worsened again and alas I have decided to retire the 812 to weekend use only for now

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Patricia2020 and cwall like this.
  11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    love this thread!

Patricia2020 and cwall like this.
  12. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Needed gas for a drive the next morning, so I drove it a little over 100 miles to the gas station down the street.

13. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Not totally pointless run but every sunday evening I have to get out the trash cans of my carwash as the truck comes early monday morning and no employee on sunday.
    So nice time for me to choose wich car will go!
    And the Ferrari comes to the trash cans...

(I bought this carwash because of the car passion!)

cwall and Patricia2020 like this.
  14. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    Parked head first into the garage and decided to back in instead. As soon as I pulled out, I went for a 10 mile random drive for no reason. Once you get into the seat, you have to drive it.

Boots, cwall and Patricia2020 like this.
  15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    10 miles enough to get the engine and internals sufficiently warmed up? I'm gonna recommend a 25 mile excursion next time this happens!
    T

cwall and Patricia2020 like this.
  16. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    Driving 2.5 hours each way to the dealer to get annual service and wait when I could have just transported it and have it shipped back and maybe get some work done.

17. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    drove 200 km to the mountains and back just to charge the battery and did a 330kmh in between.

That was the most pointless i drove, but also the most fun.

cwall, Patricia2020 and tomc like this.
  18. sandstrs

sandstrs Rookie

Mar 4, 2016
    Well, after reading this thread the other day, drove the FF to the dealer to look at other Ferraris, then, Audi, then Porsche, BMW, et al ... drove back home. seemed like the logical thing to do. Great drive!

cwall, Patricia2020 and ForeverCar like this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I must say I don't really understand most of what I am reading. I completely fail to see what is pointless. These are indeed "toys". They are meant to be used and enjoyed, so unlike doing a 2 minute drive in a Mercedes, all these drives are anything but pointless.

Here's what would be pointless.

Owning a Ferrari and having the opportunity to drive it 2.5 hours back and forth but choosing to ship it instead. That would be a waste of an opportunity.

Owning a Ferrari and choosing to put it on a charger rather than going for a nice drive.

Not taking your Ferrari for a drive if you feel like going for a drive.

I can go for 4-6 hours just with no goal or destination, just driving. I like to drive and use the car, so nothing fits the actual definition of pointless. The only pointless thing would be to own a Ferrari if one feels that one has to justify the desire to take the car out. Back in the "good ol'e days" of living, people went for a drive just for fun or adventure - a nice Sunday drive or what ever you fancied. What other purpose do you need than just wanting to? None.

Now if someone let it absorb ones life to a degree which meant that you lost your family, friends and business etc. then it is not pointless, then it is senseless, reckless and irresponsible. Cancelling an important meeting or the like, just because you feel like driving would be idiotic, but not pointless.

It would be pointless to purchase a Ferrari and not enjoy it. That is pointless by definition.

Driving for the sake of driving, is at the core of why we are here on these boards.

20. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Well put!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  21. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I went to pick up a sandwich at a deli, 5 min away.

Took the Speciale.

There was a line... 1 person. I didn't wait and drove to another deli (based on Yelp reviews) that was 45 min away. There was a line, 2 people and they did not have jalapenos.

I drove back to the first deli and then I drove home.

Boots, stavura, SeattleStew and 3 others like this.
  22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Saturday drove 60 miles intending just to get gas at the station 0.5 miles away and then never did get gas. I'll try again this weekend.

stavura, SeattleStew, j09333 and 2 others like this.
  23. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    My 8 mile drive every Saturday to Starbucks drive thru.

tomc likes this.