348 Challenge /98818 (1 of 32 factory?) | FerrariChat

348 Challenge /98818 (1 of 32 factory?)

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Jasonberkeley, Oct 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
  2. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Thanks. Interesting indeed but, as noted, little information on this specific car- as opposed to general information on the model in general.

3. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    To me, the most interesting part was that it bid up to $110k with no sale for a car with no history, and seemingly none of the challenge parts.

A strong number, and surprised it was a no sale. Wondering what the expectation for a number would hgave been...

4. juandiegocalle

Jun 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Juan Diego Calle
    Unfortunately there are few historical data points on the 348 Challenge cars specifically. We do have an additional data point which is a "1992 348 TB Challenge", presumably a unit retained by the factory and used to promote the Challenge series. Not sure if that car should be considered a "real" 348 Challenge, or if its some kind of one-off. Any feedback appreciated: https://www.classic.com/m/ferrari/348/challenge/

5. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    This was our former car. Unique 348 that was ordered new as a "Challenge" car. Documented on the build sheet and window sticker, welded roll cage points, unique suspension, etc. Oddly enough, the car was never raced and the balance of the kit was never installed on the car.

6. foresterguy

foresterguy Rookie

May 22, 2015
    Full Name:
    Steve M.
    That car was sold by M. Brandon Motorcars of Houston several years ago (2015 I think). It's one of the 13 TS Factory Challenge cars. Don't think it ever had a 'Challenge Plate' inside the passenger door (not unusual) but it may be the number 4 of 13 TS Factory Challenge car . The mileage claimed (20,772) is not correct. The speedometer was replaced. It actually has over 49k miles. More info and pics from several years ago can be found here:
    https://mbrandonmotorcars.com/1994-ferrari-348ts-challenge/

7. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Thanks John and Steve for additional info!

8. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    This is NOT the same car. Our car was a TB and had Nero interior. FYI.

9. foresterguy

foresterguy Rookie

May 22, 2015
    Full Name:
    Steve M.
    My post was about the car being auctioned that Jason referenced at the beginning of the thread, ZFFRG35A5R0098818.

10. foresterguy

foresterguy Rookie

May 22, 2015
    Full Name:
    Steve M.
    I must be dyslexic. John Temerian (wearecurated) is correct. The car sold by wearecurated is definitely not the car I had in mind and posted about. For some reason I looked at the wrong VIN in my factory Challenge car files. The car sold by MBrandonMotorsports back in 2015 is VIN ZFFRG35A0R0098188 and NOT the car that wearecurated sold back in 2016 (ZFFRG35A5R0098818). Sorry to all for the confusion.

11. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    WOW! Those VINs are almost identical. Too funny.

Jasonberkeley likes this.