Red wine | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Red wine

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by schwoo, Feb 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    NürScud likes this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
  4. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
  5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    ok...we all are wondering...where are those pics taken? Beautiful...

tomc likes this.
  6. Lolwut

Lolwut Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2019
    They are at my home, in western Canada.

Jo Sta7, arizonaitalian and tomc like this.
  7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Lolwut and tomc like this.
  8. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Surprisingly good, aged Bordeaux from the 2000 vintage. Even the minor wines were great from that vintage, and this little half bottle was obviously well stored. Great cedar and cigar box in this balanced, nicely fruited St. Emilion.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The lockdown (although it's easing now) has been terrible for my wine cabinet... and to make matters worse, it prevented the traditional wine fairs to happen, so I'll have to figure out how to make back some stock...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

spirot, Monopole and Lolwut like this.
  10. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    SCFerrari and wax like this.
  11. Slick64

Slick64 Rookie

Nov 20, 2011
    Where's the Northern Rhones? Not one La-La here.

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Opus One is a good wine. perhaps overpriced but its consistently good, and Mondavi/ Rothschild has gone to great lengths to produce very high-quality wine. No need to throw sand in someone's face about it.

Tempranillo grape vs. Cab... not much of a comparison, very different. Amarone v. Barbera,v Barolo .. .they are all so different depending on the vintner's style so if you like Opus - and that is your pallet, they moving to tempranillo or Rioja or really any Spanish wine is not the next level.. it's a different grape type and flavor profile. If you really like wine sure take a course experience all the varietals learn about the grapes and how the wines are made - then you'll be able to identify the characteristics that you like.

for the guy who likes Opus - I would say - stay in Napa and go for big Cabs, that are lightly blended. if you want to move to France - stay in either Bordeaux or over to Rhone - Neuf du Pape or maybe even down into Luberon or Bandol... Burgundies are likely not going to thrill you. Italy - Barbaresco, and Barolo... some Amarone from the northeast...

to me - the most important thing is to know what you like in wine. there is a lot to taste, not every $400 bottle is great and not ever $15 bottle is a bargain. From my experience - I've had lots of wine over the years... some of it extraordinary bottles ... if you stay with good producers usually the cost & quality are pretty well matched. Not every bottle of Petrus is perfect - and once in a while you can get a fantastic tasting $10 bottle of Cabernet... or a village wine is spectacular... but usually you get what you pay for. My cellar is about 250 bottles ... with about 20 collector quality richebourg, laffite, yquem, Clos de Bez, Margaux, Krug-CdM... the rest is for drinking ... for dinner I like Ferrari Carano Cab... smooth and tasty... $30

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Excellent wine. Montrachet- pullingy, chassange -are the white ones... Cote de Beaune:
    • Les Champs Gain
    • Les Combards
    • Chassagne
    • Chassagne du Clos St-Jean
    • Les Baudines
    • Les Embrazées
    I like Jadot wines or Drouhin.... Corton is the next level ... with Corton Charlemagne ( in my opinion ) the best white wine made... if ya'll like buttery vanilla hint of wood, with smooth velvet dry finish Corton Charlemagne .... Montrachet also makes lots of Red - Domaine La Romanee Conti - DRC ... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ so beware Burgandy has gone up in prices big time lately...

Monopole likes this.
  14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Big fan of Phelps Insignia. Thoughts on similar profile?

15. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Mine is on the way!

16. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Similar new world wines to Insignia:
    - Continuum
    - Shafer Hillside Select
    - Caymus Special Select
    - Pahlmeyer
    - Bryant
    - Dominus
    - Dalle Valle
    - Chappallet
    - Buoncristiani
    - Col Solare
    - Dunn
    - Lewis

And then the really special ones:
    - Harlan
    - Schrader
    - Bond
    - and almost anything with Beckstoffer To Kalon fruit...

17. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Nice list, let’s add, Scarecrow, Kinsman, Ovid, Colvin, Blankiet., to the list....

dustman likes this.
  18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thank you. Several new ones for me to try.

19. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Perhaps my favorite wines in the world...(iirc Robert Parker once said la mouline would be his "desert island wine").

I had and drank a fair bit of the 88-91 La La's back in the day...sadly these wines are well-beyond the upper limit of my wine bottle budget nowadays.

20. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    No brag, but I live in the Bay Area with a serious cellar, if you ever need more recommendations let me know...
    You seem to have a serious taste bud!....life is too short to drink not so good wines...

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Always appreciated...I researched and tagged every wine reco above that was available to purchase (and not over $1k/btl).
    I look forward to trying them!

22. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    I would recommend signing up for MacDonald vineyards. The wait list is long but believe all the hype. It's all about the grapes. Tgee mentioned Blankiet where Graeme MacDonald is the winemaker. The MacDonald brothers produce MacDonald wines.

If you ever plan to go to Yountville, set up appt to visit Blankiet. The Italian home is spectacular. Blankiet wines are very good, too. I am not on the list anymore since I have to much CA. Buying BDX now and planning trip to Tuscany in 2021.

23. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    LVP488, Scudmsl and tomc like this.