Check engine light wont go off until i start the car!? | FerrariChat

Check engine light wont go off until i start the car!?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 1995F512M, Oct 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1995F512M

1995F512M Rookie

Nov 20, 2014
    I have a 08 430 scuderia, and before i would normally wait for the check engine light to go off and the beeping sound to go off before i start. during a track day, and after a track session. the next time i start the car, the check engine light would not go off and when i start the car the car hunts for idle rpm. then after about 1/2 minute the check engine light would go off and the car is fine. i asked the service tech at the ferrari service and they said it's normal just don't give gas at the start up. but i don't usually give gas at the start up.
    any suggestions?
    i have read some post saying it's a dead cell in the battery so when the alternator kicks in it will run fine, how do i test for that?
    i normally plug the battery to the factory tender all the time.
    some other post suggested spark plugs too.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Just check the battery voltage without the tender plugged in (and car not running). I have a cigarette lighter voltmeter as it's a pain to access the battery or fuses on my car. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/392968717231?

Be sure that your cigarette lighter works with the ignition off (not all Ferrari lighters do). There are more sophisticated bluetooth devices which monitor the battery long term, but of course, they come at extra cost.

https://electronsupply.com/12v-car-battery-monitor-via-bluetooth-app-voltage-meter-tester-w-auto-alarm/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9oSisoCn7AIVzBErCh0ENwAREAQYBiABEgJcdfD_BwE

3. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Mine does the same thing and my battery is fine. I don't start it frequently so I attribute it to that.

4. 1995F512M

1995F512M Rookie

Nov 20, 2014
    mine use to be fine until last month and i don't drive it often too that's the scary part, because it maybe something i don't see and the ferrari dealer doesn't see. until something more major happen....that's worrying

5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The check engine light is supposed to stay on until you start. Do you mean the CHECK OK message?

6. vmule

vmule Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Vito M
    I confirm, same behavior on my car, it switch off only a few seconds after I start the engine.
    I've been told my many owners and technicians that it's supposed to be this way.