458 - F430 vs 458 | FerrariChat

458 F430 vs 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by migo, Oct 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. migo

migo Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Migo
    Hallo iedereen, ik ben nieuw op dit forum en misschien zijn hier al discussies over geweest.
    Ik bezit een prachtige 328gts met 17k km op de teller, waar ik te weinig mee rijd.
    Stilaan ben ik aan het kijken voor iets moderner.

Is er iemand van jullie die een 458 bezit en daar een f430 voor heeft opgeofferd?
    Hoe ervaren jullie De verschillen in rijgedrag etc. ?

Bij voorbaat dank
    M I G O

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Kauf 458.

3. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Try English. You’re more likely to get a response.

TomatoMan and migo like this.
  4. migo

migo Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Migo
    I’m sorry.
    I didn’t realize I am on an english forum. I thought belgium/holland part. My mistake
    Question is:

I would like to know the difference in owning and driving a F430 vs 458.
    I’m owning a 328gts but looking for a more modern F. Can’t decide between f430 or 458.
    Is the 458 really worth the extra money?

It’s nice to hear it from someone who had them

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Yes. The 458 was light years better than my 430. It’s definitely worth the extra money for sure. Drive both and see for yourself. Best , Kirk.

Gh21631, Mikael-F360, rob5819 and 3 others like this.
  6. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Owned a F430 long time ago, now owning 430 Scuderia and 458 Italia.
    Completely different cars, F430 much more difficult to drive fast compared to 458, understeers much more, meanwhile you have a planted front end on the 458. 458 feels lighter and nimble, F430 feels more "old school".
    Try 430 Scuderia instead of a F430, Scuderia will put a big smile on your face, you'll love it.

Try both and buy the one you like most.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Chadly, xfrgtr and Texas Forever like this.
  7. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I have an f430 spider. Couldn’t be happier… Love the looks, and love the old-school F1 tranny. Very much a visceral car

If you don’t live near mountains or mountain passes where u can drive north of 100 miles an hour, I dont think you will appreciate the 458

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

migo likes this.
  8. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Fwiw , there are no mountain passes in Florida and the speed limit is still 70 in the interstate. I was still able to appreciate my 458 spider especially between 0-60 which was much quicker than my 430. Both cars are great choices. Best , Kirk.

Gh21631 and migo like this.
  9. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Curious....what did you change to post-458?

10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I went to the 488 spider and have an F8 spider coming ~6 months. Best , Kirk.

migo likes this.
  11. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    wow...that is one heck of a nice paper trail.....I am envious! for now, sticking with my F430 spider, and when prices come down a bit, was going to consider a 488 spider. Since you have had all three, any insight as to whether the 458 or 488 spider would be a better upgrade? I know its all "personal" of course, but your perspective would be helpful. I am 54, and this is my first ferrari. I def plan to drive any F-car that I purchase (no garage queens here), but likely would only be on weekends, occasional to work, etc...no track time at all. And, you already know that I live in FL. thanks in advance.

migo likes this.
  12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Cole , my feeling is the difference between the 430 and the 458 was more significant than the move from the 458 to the 488 . Funny part is I bought my first Ferrari at around your age and I’m 62 now. I figure I’m in the 4th quarter so I best get on with driving now as long as I can. Also , I never track my cars either. Ps. I have about 11k miles on my 488 that were put on all by me. All the best , Kirk.

migo likes this.
  13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I've owned a F430 for two years and a 458 for two years. Its hard to go wrong. The 458 is definitely more car. What did it for me is the difference between the F1 transmission and dual clutch. I loved the F430 though and the exhaust note is really hard to beat if sound matters to you.

migo and Cigarzman like this.
  14. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thanks for the quick feedback and sorry to have hijacked the OP's thread..(tho hopefully this is all interesting info to him as well). I do so love the "sound" of 430, as I eliminated the cats (not required here in FL), and have vales open with the capristo remote (never turn them off... :) As for the transmission, I kind of love the F1...also, I have "heard," and read some threads that while of course the DCT is smoother, its prone to more issues of failure, and $$ expense. Whereas mine, thus far (22K miles, 4k put on my me in last year), has had not one issue at all. Sometimes better to know the devil you do as opposed to the one you don't. Anyway, seems from this thread, one really can't go wrong...what would really do it for me is the true "hard top," versus the ragtop on the F430. However, maybe its just me, but I honestly think I would miss the huge window over the motor...that giant view just never gets old to me.

thanks!

migo and Cigarzman like this.
  15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I guess it's definitely a good suggestion to add the 430 Scuderia as an alternative - probably the Scud is now more expensive than a 458 in Europe, but not by much. Whereas the F430 is cheaper but definitely not as good as the 458 (because the newer car is typically better, that's progress), the Scuderia is a different proposition and is not just the previous generation car.
    Testing the three cars and then selecting the best for you is the way to go...

16. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I went from 360 to 430 to 458.
    I have no regrets. However, there are some caveats and observations that may or may not help you.
    I have to assume you are speaking of a 430 F1 not a manual car. If not true, sorry.
    First, there is a significant difference between dual clutch and single clutch gearboxes. Speed of shift, sensation of shift, etc. I prefer the faster action of the DSG. Some people find the nuances of throttle changes to smooth the F1 gearbox upshifts to be a more involving experience.
    The 458 has a direct injected motor. The first in the V8 series. As such, you do get a different motor/exhaust sound. For me the 430 was louder. BUT, if you hit the throttle in the 430 below 3k with any gusto, there was a loud moaning sound from the intake. I found it very unappealing.
    In regards to tractability, the 458 has vastly more torque. Especially at lower RPM than the 430. It makes the car more effortless to drive IMO. Or, more importantly, the car feels much more eager to run.
    I will say that my 458 Italia was more "refined" than the 360 or 430. This led to my sensation of many drives being less of an "event" at times than the 430. My 458 spider despite its warts, brings back some of the visceral nature of the car. Open air, increased sound, increased feel (both good and bad) through the wheel make the car feel special if not perfect.
    To sum up, think more power/torque as you go from 360-430-458. Think less NVH as you go up through the evolution.
    Lastly, parts get harder to come by at the 20 year mark. 360 is almost there and 430 is not far behind. May not be an issue in the short term. Plus long term I try not to predict. But, this issue is out there for owners of 308s/355s per my dealer.
    Best
    Randy

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The 458 and a Scud are in a similar price range, I think I would go scud if that was an option.

migo likes this.
  18. migo

migo Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Migo
    So, if I read all of this I'll probably go and drive the F430 and the 458.
    Probably the spider version is funnier but in case of the 430 I don't like the shape of the cabriolet version.
    it's also very helpful to know that the 430 sounds better than the 458, as (original factory exhaust NO AFTERMARKET) sound is important to me.

@kirk, I like your attitude, very cool you just bought a F8 so quick after owning the 488.

What are you guys thinking about the prices, the f430's are probably at their lowest but what about the 458?

Cigarzman likes this.
  19. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Hi,
    I never had, nor had riven, a F430, as I opted (two times) for a 458 Spider, after having deeply considered the F430 Spider (a 16M the second time).
    I trust the 458 is a "better" overall car in a pure technical perspective, but for me the main issue with it was losing the engine glass window! I went for it and never regretted or looked back.
    Then a number of other subjective factors come into play, and not necessarily everybody picks a 458 in the end, even if numbers say it is a better car on paper.
    I am not a market expert in any business, but I personally believe both cars are about their bottom price, so I would assume you (we) are not losing too much money down the road; some say you will actually make money... I think too many factors interact in determining the actual selling (not asking) prices to say something positive about this.

migo, Cigarzman and Gh21631 like this.
  20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Have had 16M and 458S....let the 16M go, very tough decision.
    The 458S is essentially a 430 Scud on steroids...does everything a bit tighter, faster and better.
    The great thing about the 458 DCT is that you can still feel the “shifts” and it is so nimble and agile.
    Haven’t followed 430 market, assume it’s been stable... but the 458 market in the US has been stable and even rising currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

migo likes this.