How to keep vent window from closing at higher speeds | FerrariChat

How to keep vent window from closing at higher speeds

Discussion in '206/246' started by Ferdinand Mayr, Oct 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferdinand Mayr

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ferdinand Mayr-Melnhof
    Does anyone have a solution for keeping the vent windows of the Dino from closing due to wind at higher speeds?

The vent windows will not remain open if I go faster than 80 km/h...

2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I believe there is a quarter window support bracket below the window with a plate spring that adds some friction to the the windows turning shaft (See item 32 below). Perhaps you lost the spring plate or it has become loose? Anyhow, you most likely need to dismantle the door to gain access to the support. I have added a picture of the window frame shaft from my L-series for your information.

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    As per Peter,s reply.. this is from a late 1973 GT. could be a number of issues, from lose screw in the clamp, possibly weak or failed spring above the clamp, and or significant corrosion. The pivot at the top of the quarter light into the door frame may also be loose/ worn ( these often ware) , although I suspect the lower assembly as per photo.
    Kevin

4. Ferdinand Mayr

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ferdinand Mayr-Melnhof
    Thanks! If it‘s the clamp then my worst fears have come true...It‘s impossible to reach the clamp screw without removing the entire frame out of the door. It‘s almost as if the guys in Maranello did it on purpose to mess with us .

I‘m seriously considering to drill a hole just big enough to fit a screwdriver through it so I can easily retighten the screw now and then (see picture).

5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    The joy of Dino ownership. The hole I think you will regret. Could be more than a loose screw. This bracket is exposed to water and corrosion / collapse could be playing a role as well. Either live with it or dismantle the door and fix every other issues while your in there. Doors on Dino's are fragile and needs a lot of proper attention every 30 to 40 years....:D

Best, Peter

6. Ferdinand Mayr

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ferdinand Mayr-Melnhof
    Thanks for your reply Peter. Unfortunately my power drill was quicker than your answer :)...But it worked like a charm: I can now reach through the hole with a srew driver and I tightened the clamp. The window momentum is 10 times tighter now! Should be enough for Autobahn speeds!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I like quick decisions;) Very small hole and very well centered and not much harm done. Glad you made it more stabile. BTW your bracket appears completely rust free.

Best, Peter

8. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Out of curiosity, how hard is it to remove that chrome framing?

Are there just screws holding it in (ignoring all the disassembly need to get to said screws, etc...)?

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    You basically need to disassemble most of the door. The sliding glass, a couple of bracket bolts and +-3 small self tapping screws must be removed. The window frame is then a tight fit into the outer steel frame.

Best, Peter

10. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks for the insight.

My car is not a Dino, but of similar construction. I need to pull that frame at some point, and am actually glad to hear that it is not more involved than what you described... :)

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Alex, if you're referring to Daytona, while similar, it is somewhat different due to removable upper door/window frames, but the vent window frames can be removed/re-installed without complete removal of everything else, although most pieces may have to be disconnected/loosened and in some cases, dislodged and placed aside inside the door to get vent frame out.
    And if your car suffers from typical vent glass poorly fitting/tight closure issues, that would be the time sort it all out.

12. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi Timo,

Thanks for the extra insights; yes, you caught me, I'm worried about diving into my Daytona's doors...

Realize that they are different, but I figured the basic construction methods were probably the same.

Am *very* glad to here that Ferrari was not fond of welding such things into the doors... :)

I'll probably take the opportunity to remove the doors and address everything that I can; right down to the door-pins (some of which were replaced with plain rods at some point in the car's history...:eek:).

Cheers,
    Alex

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    And I assume you are aware of the reproduction hinge pins with “correct” grease fittings and other details I reproduce, available in both standard and oversize diameter (latter for in case the hinge bores are excessively worn). ;)

14. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Actually, I was not aware.

With so many parts to investigate availability about, those pins have never managed to warrant my attention.

If you felt the need to make them, however, I guess they are not as generic as one might have hoped.

I'll drop you a PM when I get around to addressing the issues with the doors.

Thanks!

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Correct.
    There were and might still be some that are "sort of " like them, but...
    ... I decided to loose money by making accurate* reproductions instead. :eek:

* Although, not sure if Factory or Scaglietti ever offered "oversize". :rolleyes:

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Two screws and two bolts on a GTS, not sure about a GT

Two machine screws on the forward door edge that attach through the chrome trim piece to the window frame tab and two bolts inside the door holding the vertical stay at two separate spots. It goes without saying, do not loose the forward machine screws as they are period correct low profile slotted pan head and in a visible location, sorry for the blurry pic

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Slightly off topic, apologies -
    if your wing windows are too tight when shut, then you can drill out the two rivets that attach the black plastic striker and shave the backside down with a grinder then rivet back on and you have more clearance

18. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I also wish to apologize for veering slightly off OPs topic.

Adjusting/setting vent windows for easy/non-binding operation on a 365 GTB/4 can be achieved, but will require much more involved efforts and based on my experience, ideal to do during major coach work restoration and/or repaint.

Re-aligning/-fitting drop glass for easy/smooth operation would be advisable at that time also.

Both above “issues” are commonly known problems on Daytonas and IMO, something never adequately addressed at the time of their original construction.

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you need a good rubber lubricant to assist in closing the wing windows then try "Gummi Pflege" that lubricates automotive weather seals