Strange 430 Scuderia taillight question | FerrariChat

Strange 430 Scuderia taillight question

Discussion in '360/430' started by SCIronMike, Oct 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCIronMike

SCIronMike Rookie

Dec 4, 2010
    I have an odd question about the taillights on a 430 Scuderia. Mine have been rewired several times due to a recurrent taillight problem. When using the turn signal, what lights up? The labeled yellow area or the labeled blue area?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
  3. SCIronMike

SCIronMike Rookie

Dec 4, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I suspected that was the answer, but when I hit the turn signal, the blue part blinks.

When I bought my Scud, the previous owner provided records that showed that he had a PPI done prior to his purchase from Ilusso in Costa Mesa that found the right taillight was “out”. He had this repaired while getting serviced at European Exotic Center in Clearwater, FL. I was told that this is a really good shop. They found that there no voltage going to the taillight. Per the repair records, they found poor connections in the wiring from a previous repair. It shows “repair, resauder (sic), reconnect wiring”. Everything was recorded to be functioning afterwards.

When I had the car PPI’d at Eibell Performance in Tampa, FL, I made sure they looked at the taillights. All were functioning. When I went to look at the car, all taillights were functioning. However the turn signal on both sides always lit up the outer ring of the inner taillight. I did not realize this is the wrong light pattern.

Shortly after I purchased the car, the right inner taillight stopped lighting entirely. No light for position, braking, or blinker. I took it to EF1 Motorsports in Signal Hill, CA. They serviced the car but found zero voltage to the taillight and could not figure it out. I took the car to Enzo Motors in Anaheim on the recommendation of a good friend. Bill there said the wiring was a mess. He showed me pics of him re-wiring the taillights. When I got the car back, the taillights were all working again. However, as before, the blinker would light up the outer ring of the inner taillight (blue label above).

That last repair was 7/2019. Yesterday I noticed the right sided turn signal blinker was going really fast. The right half of the outer ring is not lighting up. Again this is on the right side. The same taillight. I’m hoping it is a bulb, but I’m not optimistic. When I was looking in the owners manual on bulb replacement size, I saw that the blinker should be the center of the outside taillight.

My problem now is that Bill at Enzo Motors retired at the end of 2020. Great guy. He had been fixing Ferraris at that location for over 40 years. Wish I could go back to him with this. Given the situation with COVID19 down here in So Cal and working as a physician with COVID19 patients, I have not prioritized finding a new mechanic. When I needed a service this year, I took it to my long time Audi R8 mechanic and he did a good job. I don’t think he’ll be able to handle this taillight problem though.

Not sure if this is something I should take to one of the local recommended shops like Fast Cars, RMT, Raging Bull, etc. Or if this is something that I should just take to the dealership in Newport Beach (I am in Huntington Beach). Would appreciate any advice.

4. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Yellow area in Europe

Blue area in North America

f355spider and armedferret like this.
  5. SCIronMike

SCIronMike Rookie

Dec 4, 2010
  6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Apologies - I wasn't aware.

7. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
  8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Your tail lights are wired correctly for North America. The only issue I see is the bulb is out on the right turn signal. That is why it blinks faster on that side.

1995F512M likes this.
  9. SCIronMike

SCIronMike Rookie

Dec 4, 2010
    Thanks. Turns out it is not the bulb though. I tried changing the bulb today, and the bulb is completely fine. The voltage is 12v on the left socket and only 6v on the right. Not sure if I should take it back to an independent mechanic or take it to the dealership.

Attached Files: