Nice sighting... | FerrariChat

Nice sighting...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by TTR, Oct 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nice. Who else has flown on a DC-3 as a regularly scheduled airliner? Bob, I would imagine, but there have to be others. My last flight was from Love to Roswell in 1965.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yes, Frontier DC-3 in the 50's. ABQ. Was a kid.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    yes, Taz, I flew several times on C-47's and also C-60's and B-34's in the service. Then with West Coast when I was traveling intra-state for Boeing. Then, I was fortunate to fly one from Felts Field to Pasco-Kennewick (spl) to an air show where the airplane was going to offer rides. The airplane was registered as a short hall airliner and had "stews" aboard. It was the biggest twin that I ever flew but it was a docile bird and a pleasant experience. I may have mentioned it before but after I got the airplane trimmed , the nose started to come up. I re-trimmed and then had to trim again. I no sooner got things stabile when I had to re-trim, not so much the second time. The pilot and owner, Bruce S., asked if I was having trouble and I said that I seem to have a little problem chasing things and he said, " That first time was Jerry going aft to the can, the second time was Tracy....she's lighter than Jerry." My son was in a T-6 waiting for us to arrive at Pasco and he flew along side us taking pictures as we approached. The "stews" went nuts when the T-6 came in close and one said, "I can see even his beard!" Something that they had never experienced in mid air, close formation with another airplane.
    After we landed and partook in the show, my son arranged to give a flight in an open cockpit PT-23 to Jerry and she had to remove her antique earrings so that they wouldn't be blown away. So, I took them and put them in a safe place....on my ears. I attempted to walk over to the DC-3 when I was stopped by a typical fat-bellied sheriff's deputy that told me that I couldn't approach the airplane . I told him that I was part of the crew but he obviously didn't;t believe me with those beautiful earrings on and he turned beet red when I began a very believable performance as a gay. My younger son who's there, also, almost wet his pants at my performance accusing the deputy of being the same old "Pot bellied BIG MAN who threw his weight around and harassed people ". He never did allow me to get to the airplane. The was one of the most enjoyable air shows. I had fun flying and playing a little game, getting and open cockpit ride to a nice gal, and watching Delmar Benjamin perform in his Gee Bee. The flight back was just as enjoyable flying at 1500 feet, cracking up the owner when I hand signaled a right turn at the Ritzville traffic light to pick up I-90 to Spokane. Can't get much better than this. Memories like this always neutralize the bad things that are going on now and my wife always knows when "I'm back there" or somewhere else flying or having fun with something or someone. Some treasures aren't laced with jewels or gold. Seek one or two, no matter how small. You can keep them in a place in which no one can violate.

5. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I did from Miami toFort Myers in early 1970's when ft Myers airport was one room

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Your flight was more interesting than my Love Field one. I did fly from Oslo to Wiesbaden in a C-47 with Dad as the pilot and me sitting in a sort of jump seat. The Russians tried to meacon us, but Dad had seen that trick before, so just ignored it and switched radio aids.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I flew on one in Costa Rica in the early 1980s.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Good experience there, Taz, flying with your Dad as pilot.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I flew one in the early 80's, Comair in South Africa. It was from JHB to Londolozi near the kruger park, the plane landed on a bumpy dirt strip.
    The inetrior was more or less modern airliner for the time.

Also flew in a JU52 for a ride. That plane few slow and felt like it slowly levitated.

DC3 was generations ahead.

10. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I flew in a Convair C-131 Samaritan.

On take off it sounded just like a WW II movie with hard-rock concert loudspeakers.

really kewl.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The C-131/T-29 was powered by PW R2800s, just like a P-47, Hellcat, Corsair, etc. Leaked oil just like them, too. I have about 200 hours in T-29s from nav school in the early 70s.

12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Early 1980's; San Juan P.R. to Tortola BVI. Live freight first, then pax. :D

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not DC-3, but I have flown on a Ford Tri-Motor in regularly scheduled airline service, circa 1967.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I last flew into San Juan around 2003 or so, and there were still quite a few DC-3s across the ramp.

Also a few Convairs that were probably ex-Caribair. Those aircraft had been delivered in the '60s with R-2800s, and were then converted to Dart turboprops while I was still living there. I understand that when they left Caribair service, the Darts were removed and they went back to the recips!

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Might that have been Island Airways in the great lakes area?

jcurry likes this.
  16. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I love flying into Flabob. It’s a challenging airport and has a grass strip.

17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I imagine that the "Tin Goose" was not much different than the "Tin Donkey". Slow, noisy, and not much more than 105 in speed. I got a right seat ride in Harrah's Ford tri-motor and what a difference between that and the DC-3.

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Due to cloudy/drizzly/windy weather (i.e. no crowds), had a chance to exercise (hiking up-&-down) Mt. Rubidoux yesterday and looked like Flabob was hosting at least 6 (maybe 7 ?) DC-3s/C-47s.
    Unfortunately, I didn't have a way to capture photo(s).

19. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    My dad owned a DC-3.

I never got to fly it but I did sit at the controls and pretend. :)

tritone, TTR and Boomhauer like this.
  20. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My neighbor's husband flew for General Airways in the late 1950s and early 1960s. I actually started out my flying career as his copilot in the 1980s-- sadly, he's passed on now but I still remember hearing his stories about flying the DC-3 in the pacific northwest. He felt the Turbo Commander we were flying at the time was a huge improvement!

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    :)

I've probably told the story somewhere here before, but I and a friend "almost" bought one about +/-35 years ago, although didn't know at the time that the "sealed" bid we were considering submitting would've been highest, but likely wouldn't had landed the plane (pun intended) for us anyway, since the "winning"(?) bidder probably had a "fix in" (as I found out 5-6 years later). :(

Island Time likes this.
  22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Are you aware that Flabob is now the new home of the American Aviation Historical Society? I've been a member of AAHS since 1977 and they put out a gorgeous Journal four times a year, and have a large collection of slides that you can order prints from. Anyone here who has an interest in historical American aviation should be a member! (It's much cheaper than the Ferrari Club!)

23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I did not know that, but will look into it.
    Thanks.

24. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Flew ( as a passenger ) in DC3's in New Zealand and Fiji in 1968 :)

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Glad to see there are lots of old farts like me who flew scheduled airline DC-3s.

Bob Parks likes this.