F430 Challenge Headers | FerrariChat

F430 Challenge Headers

Discussion in '360/430' started by Blackfspider, Oct 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blackfspider

Blackfspider Rookie

Dec 6, 2019
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    D
    Has anyone tried the 430 Challenge headers on the F430 F1?

Contemplating aftermarket headers as well, but concerned re. Overall sound levels with valves open. Currently have OEM sports exhaust on a 2006 coupe.

2. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Yes, I've got them with the rest of the system stock. They have no pre-cats in them. I would say volume is up 10-15% No drone with valves in play. Any aftermarket header would have a similar volume increase. Got the cat code CEL straight away. O2 extenders fixed it, years ago.

3. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    Are the challenge headers the same as those on the Scuderia?

4. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Almost. Only difference is Scud headers have air rails to clean up the cold start emissions to compensate for the lack of pre-cats.

350MH83 and tfos750 like this.
  5. Blackfspider

Blackfspider Rookie

Dec 6, 2019
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    D
    thanks. So similar volumes to capristo et al?

Any idea if the manufacturing and materials is equivalent to mk1 or mk2 ?

6. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    Thanks.

I've read recently that the heat generated by the air injection after startup can contribute to Scuderia manifold flange warping. Is removal of that air injection an option to avoid the warping?

tfos750 likes this.
  7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Yes similar volumes. No idea on manufacturing and materials. Mine have been on for a few years now without issue, but without the lower exhaust brackets.

8. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I have read that too and I would say yes. My challenge headers have not warped. The extra O2 is like an afterburner, just like a cat, to heat things up and burn off any unburnt fuel, so take it away and things will cool down somewhat. But it will add the CEL which is no big deal to sort.

9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don't tun the air injection on my car. I had it coded out.

10. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    mwstewart: Do you have a Scuderia? If so what do you mean by coded out?
    Thanks

11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes, when I had my car remapped (tuned) I asked for the secondary cat o2 sensors and the secondary air pump configuration to be removed from ECU code. This prevents the warning lights.

I'm in England and used DMS, but in the states a company like Mase Engineering can likely help.

ShineKen likes this.
  12. 430driver

430driver Rookie

Feb 5, 2017
    LONDON
    Full Name:
    Chris Tomas
    hi

i have fitted these to my f430 with no pre cats, the sound is deeper on startup and much more exotic on full throttle, all should have bee made this way, rest of the exhaust is standard, extra bhp due to no pre cats around 500 bhp and looks totally standard

13. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    How many miles do you have on the Challenge manifolds since you put them on, and do you have the stock exhaust brackets or something else?

14. 430driver

430driver Rookie

Feb 5, 2017
    LONDON
    Full Name:
    Chris Tomas
    about 2k since fitted all on standard brackets

henley1 likes this.
  15. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    Thank you!

16. Zeroh

Zeroh Rookie

Jun 27, 2014
    London
    Yep i'd say the challenge manifolds are a good 20% louder... pitch is like stock but deeper and louder - love them !

The other advantage is no messing around with ceramic coatings or capristo style bags on top of them.

17. Blackfspider

Blackfspider Rookie

Dec 6, 2019
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    D
    Thanks all for responses.

Last q.... any issues on reliability? are these equivalent to the MK1 or the MK2 OEM headers?

18. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Not sure if challenge came out during mk1 or mk2 era. But they are identical except the housing for the pre-cat is empty.

19. Q Catcher

Q Catcher Rookie

Nov 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    David Harrold
    I've got Challenge headers on my car, too. They were professionally fitted, so I don't know which brackets were used, but nothing was mentioned about them, so I presume they are standard. The sound isn't too loud (I'm unusual in that I prefer my cars not to be loud), they look good, as in they look genuine, with heat shields, etc; and the only issue was the engine light, which yielded codes P420 and P430, left- and right-hand cat banks, which was corrected by fitting spacers on the lambda sensors.

20. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Hey Guys,
    Phil here from Fabspeed.

The one issue with the challenge headers is that with the heat shields they can still crack and although you are not going to get the pre-cat material back into the engine you will still get a cel for the leak. It is not as prevalent as the coupe or spider it can still happen.

The only way to make sure that doesn't happen is to go aftermarket. The factory heat shields were a good idea if they didn't cook the headers but they do.

We do have the headers in stock and ready to go. I do suggest the blankets though.

21. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    thanks Phil and your headers don't give a CEL ?

22. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    No, We have a set of O2 spacers that go on the post o2 cat to handle the CEL.

23. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    thks so can you explain why OEM Challenge headers with heat shields are more likely to crack than Fabspeed headers with blankets, and can you quote some examples of cracked Challenge headers please ?

24. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    The Ferrari heat shields being welded onto the headers actually act as an oven and do not release heat the way they were intended. The challenge are better than the spider and coup because there is no pre-cat in the header so they do not get as hot. They do still very very hot especially when run very hard when this happens the heat has nowhere to go. When you pair the hot and cold cycles with the vibration on the Ferrari eventually they crack. Through our research, development, and engineering we noticed that not welding the heat shield directly to the header helps the heat escape better into the blankets which dissipates the heat instead of holding it in.

Stealthssfc likes this.
  25. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I pulled the heat shields off my original header to find the crack, which I found. I could have weld repaired but I fitted challenge headers instead. I can tell you the heat shields are in no way welded to the headers. The 2 halves of the heat shield are spot welded together and clamp snugly on the heat insulation material.