F430 F1 Gearbox: as bad as all that? | FerrariChat

F430 F1 Gearbox: as bad as all that?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Chicane5, Sep 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chicane5

Chicane5 Rookie

Aug 13, 2020
    Hey all - new member here looking for some solid advice as I research making a first Ferrari purchase.

I have owned numerous Porsches over the years, with the current being a heavily optioned '07 911 C4S Cabrio with 6MT stick. This has been my DD for the last two years and I intend to keep hold of it. 6MT can sometimes be a pain in Los Angeles traffic - but great for weekends on the PCH with the soft top down.

As I look to realise this goal of F Car ownership I have contemplated several options as a complement to the 911. At first I was considering the California30, but have obviously read the infinite opinions on not getting the "true" F experience and drive feel, also as a drop top GT it may just be too similar to the 911 to warrant the purchase.

I am now leaning to 360/430 coupe with a strong pull toward the 430, but have picked up on comments on the F1 gearbox with adjectives like "nightmare", "horrible", "money pit" etc. How true are these opinions in reality - and how much of a generational thing is it, as implemented on the 360 vs the 430? MT 430s are clearly super rare, and with already owning a manual 911 I would prefer the auto box. Any mid production revisions that made a difference/improved reliability?

Appreciate any input - newcomer to the brand so my intimate knowledge on the model specific detail is nowhere near that of my Porsche knowledge.

Cheers!

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I bought my first Ferrari in February, a 2009 F430 with the F1 transmission. I had the remaining clutch checked when I bought it and was told 78% remaining with 12,000 miles on the car.
    Over the last several months I have been doing the maintenance on it myself. I changed the gearbox oil and put a new screen/filter in, just because. The gear oil was fairly clean, but the filter had small pieces of white plastic on it. Apparently this is common. I also changed/bled the F1 fluid using my Launch X431. The car has been flawless for the last 1000 miles that I have driven it. I love shifting the car with the paddles.

I had a 2015 Boxster S with the 6MT and I got tired of always having to shift.

If you get a PPI on the car before you buy it, that should put your mind at ease with your purchase. The 430 is a reliable car, but it has to be maintained, just like anything.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

VAF84 and Apollo 11 like this.
  3. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Almost forgot, the newer the model 430, the better off you are. There were a ton of changes/updates from 2005 to 2009, on the entire car.

f355spider likes this.
  4. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    F1 works really well, no issues at 76,000 miles,

the only time it acts a little odd is when it sits for 3-4 weeks, frequent use is the key,

much faster than a stick, excellent down down shifts, no complaints,

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    They were appropriate at the time they were built, but seem slow now...the only single clutch version I personally would buy is the Superfast version on a Scuderia.

I have not heard alot of issues with reliability, but like any modern automatic there are some big repair $ stuff if you get unlucky. If you have a hard time stomaching a 5 figure potential bill you may need a Plan B.

6. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Consider dct for DD use. I respectfully disagree on the transmission. Single clutch can be more engaging and eventful than the later options. The 599 transmission is the pinnacle.

I have had several versions. Daily a Lusso which is a different animal. Cali T is a great option for LA. 430 IMHO not as much.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skidkid likes this.
  7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

if you are talking about the gear changing speed. aren't 430 scuderia the same as 599 GTO's shifting speed?

8. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    15k miles with mine and no issues at all. First clutch change at 30k miles. Clutch worn around 15% in 15k miles. However i would not pick the F1 for heavy traffic.

9. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I personally find the F1 more engaging and rewarding then dual clutch. The kick and feedback is satisfying. It is significantly less expensive to repair over dual clutch systems.

Make sure it is properly maintained. Scudinc F1 relay also provides best possible shifting actuation with alarm in case there's a problem in the system.

It is important to take note it is a robotized manual and to understand proper technique to extend clutch life

10. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    The first time you start the car going uphill after it's been sitting long enough to get cold, you'll ask yourself (probably out loud) why you got the F1.

The first time you do a lap at the racetrack (or a very assertive drive in a canyon) you'll know EXACTLY why you got the F1. There really is no comparison.

Sure, I get that the 3 pedal will hold its value.... 'cuz those who ordered this car wanted the better transmission so ordered it that way, meaning fewer 3 pedals (the inferior choice) are now available. And yes, I get that part of the experience is shnicking through the gated gears. But if you opt for the 3 pedal, you'll be missing one of the absolute best parts of the F430 driving experience.

That's my own vaguely-humble opinion.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

sparetireless, grtoz and lewishou like this.
  11. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Probably one of the best cars I have ever owned

NMNMNMN likes this.
  12. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    It's an all round awesome driving experience.
    So much fun, and the kick you get with the gear changes is as addictive as the boost once was on my manual 997 Turbo.
    This is next level fun.

13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I was in exactly the same place you are now three years ago. I had a bunch of 911s and had been (and still am) a PCA member for over 40 years . I never owned anything but sticks in the 911s. The shifting was precise and tight and I could shift on the track with the best of them. Then I wanted to move into something else just for kicks. So I bought my first Ferrari, a 2003 360 F1. I drove a 3 pedal 360 and was sorely disappointed with the long throws and it felt very clunky navigating the gate after my years in my 911s.

My 360 F1 had the clutch replaced right before I bought it (by the seller) at 21K miles. Now at 26K + miles no issues and the shifts are a blast. The latest TCU is the best with hard shifts, matching revs for the downshifts and is much friendlier, and for me enjoyable, to drive around town (where I could envision the gated shifter becoming quite tedious) as well as on when I want to really open it up. And for me, a guy who is not a big fan of tech, I can say I'm certainly a big fan of the F1.

Like most here have said. The key is to drive the car at least once a week. Which is probably good advice for any car but the F1 issues are probably more of letting the car sit than driving it hard.
    The F1 gets vilified quite often by those who do not own one. I don't believe it is as problematic as many say. But of course there are outliers where folks have had nothing but problems. But it is certainly hard to qualify without knowing the history of the car they are having the issues with, how it was driven, and how it was maintained through the years.

Overall even with issues the pump is now at a reasonable price to replace, the accumulator and valves can be rebuilt, and most issues are well known and can be remedied for a "reasonable" amount of money-- especially if you can do a lot of this kind of repair yourself. Which most "car guys" can.

Of course the clutch wear is more on an F1 than a manual. Same trans but more slippage on take off with no control over the engagement without a third pedal. But with that said I learned how to read the car and get it to shift on take off and between gears in normal driving to minimize slippage. If you have been on the forum for a while you will see folks who have made an F1 clutch last for over 40K miles. No issues.

One last point. I tend to believe that the 3 pedal F-cars are driven hard. Primarily the reason folks covet them. The one I looked at and drove in PA was represented by a McLaren dealer and it was driven to death. Not pretty at 20K some miles on it.

I love the F1 in my 360. Can it have issues? sure. But the last 360 made in 04 or 05 will soon be a 20 year old car. Mileage is one thing but age can take its toll too.

Apollo 11 and imahorse like this.
  14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    so you’re on your original clutch? If so, impressive.

15. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    #15 catdog, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Loved the F1 in my 2007 F430 and really enjoyed every aspect of the transmission. It's really excellent for a single clutch and very entertaining and engaging. The shifting speed can be modulated by throttle, load, rpm etc. and excellent downshifts. I think it fits the car perfectly and complements the engine characteristics.

Problem is it slips a lot when cold or when reversing do you have to watch it to maximize clutch life. If you do get one make sure you know an independent who knows its ins and outs and has the right tools and experience.

Mine started acting up after six months of ownership with random gearbox F1 failure light on; spent a few weeks at Ferrari dealer who couldn't diagnose issue. They did recalibration etc. I finally lost my patience and had it converted to manual 6-speed. The car is quite different in character and I no longer have to worry about that aspect of reliability. Although I'm very happy with decision, the car has a very different personality now. I love it but I also miss the F1; it's an amazing gearbox when it's in working order except for high cost of clutch replacement. It's not great for traffic stop and go but is excellent everywhere else. Definitely more emotional and fun than dual clutch.

16. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I have a Porsche, 360 and a Benz GLE Coupe on my driveway. I also previously owned a 400+ Audi. I still visit their Forums from time to time.
    I can guarantee you that any car with 400+ HP be it an Aston, AMG, Maser, F, Porsche, Lambo; all come with the same problems. Frequent repairs, bill$, etc.

First get a solid PPI. Then, even though you're still taking your chances (parts can fail at any time) the key to joy is proper maintenance and exercising the thing.
    If you're buying a garage queen then you're into some hurt down the road. Whether the car came with a maintenance history or not you start your own history.
    Give it the love it deserves and you will be rewarded with great driving experiences whether 360 or 430. Personally, I would go with the newest 430 you can afford.

Good luck!

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Not sure if he is but 50K is not uncommon.

armedferret likes this.
  18. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If you track a lot, go with the 430 (the extra 80+ hp makes a difference). F1 is fun and at home at the tract. I’ve had my 360 for >6 yrs and zero F1 issue.

Skidkid and Apollo 11 like this.
  19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Agreed but on the street, the 360 is more than enough. If you really want power get a V12. Those are amazing cars.

Ron328 likes this.
  20. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Unless it is a Ford or Chevy. Have had and still have some with over 500 hp. On the factory high hp ones I have enjoyed zero drivetrain issues.

21. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Lucky you.
    Ford, Chevy & Chrysler also make 600+ HP cars that are reliable.

22. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well, minus the whole "transmission exploding in spectacular fashion at any time" feature included at no charge on late model chryslers. ;)

23. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I have driven many Porsche’s , several AMG’s as daily drivers, and a few M 3’s. I finally got my first Ferrari last year. F4 30 spider 2007. Just love it. Not one complaint and not one problem with the F1 transmission 23,000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Apollo 11 and armedferret like this.
  24. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    2nd clutch, the key is to let it hook up in first before getting on it.

Apollo 11 and nickorette like this.
  25. Sickracer

Sickracer Rookie

Aug 23, 2022
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dominic Tommasone
    I read evert post. Great stuff people. I want to buy an F430 but want the year with the best improvements to the F1 trans. Is there such a thing or are they all the same? What year should I look for? Dom