f355 gts fan problem | FerrariChat

f355 gts fan problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by johnpilan, Mar 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnpilan

johnpilan Rookie

May 17, 2006
    hi, i had a problem with ovearheating in my 355, and i saw the right fan doesn´t work, i buyied a new one and it still not working , i saw the fuses and they are ok, i switched the relay´s and nothing. the left still working well, has this car a special control unit for the fans only? tomorrow i´m going to see if there´s any problem with the wires. can anyone give me some idea? thanxx

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The right side fan is controlled by the Motronic ECU. It gets the signal from the water temp sender located by the oil filter. Has a gray or blue Amp connector plug. BUT, if that water temp sender is not working, you should be getting a "check engine" light as the Motronic should detect a problem if the sender is bad. You may want to replace it anyway, as they are not terribly expensive, perhaps $25 from the dealer.

Check the back of the fuse panel, it is not unheard of to have issues with the fans (as they age) drawing excessive current causing not only the fuses to blow all the time, but also damage to the fuse panel itself.

Qavion likes this.
  3. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    @f355spider :

Thank you for your fantastic post about the SPAL fan replacements. I just purchased a 1995 F355 Spider, and I believe that the RH (Passenger) side fan is not working. I check the fuses, and I found that the previous owner had installed 40A fuses -- likely due to the higher amperage draw per your fan thread. Both fuses appear fine... I'm going to go ahead and order some SPAL '50 fans to replace the OE '13 versions, and hope that solves the issue, but do you think that the problem could be tied to the water temp sender? I am not getting any "check engine " lights, but wasn't sure if it's related to the car being 2.7 vs 5.2.

Thank you for any input your could provide.

4. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Left and right fans operate independently. If right side is not working, you need to check the fuse, relay, fan motor and temp sensor. Are you getting power to the right fan at all? That would be my first diagnostic step after checking the fuse and relay.

Good idea to swap fans and get 30amp fuses back in there. Not unheard of to damage your fuse box from the 40amp current draw melting things.

5. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. The only thing I have done so far is check the fuse - have not swapped the relays. I figured I would change the fans either way and go with the sealed units. I don't like the idea of using higher amperage fuses.

I may be mistaken, but it seems like the SPAL 30102050 fans may be discontinued. I can find the '49 version, but no one sees to have the '50.

Thank you for your reply.

6. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Call SPAL USA tomorrow morning and report back
    https://www.spalusa.com/customer_service
    (800) 454-7725 tech support

If they are not available, it is not a huge deal to splice the plug from your old fans onto the new. Just an extra 15 minutes of work to solder the wires and heatshink tubing/insulation for each. That is what I did, as I was unaware at the time the version with the correct plug was offered.

7. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    As stated earlier, the first step should be to see if there is power to the fan.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Looking at the temperature Vs resistance chart in the workshop manual, I believe a 100 ohm resistor placed across the pins of the right hand temperature sensor electrical connector should trigger the fan. I use the word "sensor" as the term "sender" usually refers to the device which is used for the gauge. Spending a few *cents* on a resistor is a good investment as it can be used in faultfinding on a number of different systems.

You can inspect things like fan motor bushes and rings with the fan in-situ. Just remove the respective wheel and plastic wheel arch liners and then the plastic motor cover.

I don't know if temperature sensor faults are monitored or not, but you may not be getting a check engine light because the sensor is just out of tolerance, not completely broken.

f355spider and Suffyk like this.
  9. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    Just an update on SPAL 30102050 fans. They are still available, but custom order from SPAL. Apparently they are made for John Deere tractors.

I just order a set from "the-fan-man", and paid $117 / piece!

Qavion and f355spider like this.