Well Boys and girls, let’s see how well this works. (CPlay2air) | FerrariChat

Well Boys and girls, let’s see how well this works. (CPlay2air)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by russellmcg, Oct 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    whatheheck likes this.
  2. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    There was a previous thread in this. I have one in my Porto and it works, mostly. It takes a minute to connect so some patience is required. Sometimes I get an error on startup but unplugging and replugging fixes it. Glad I got it even though it’s not perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  3. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Mine keeps telling me “Apple car play is connecting” and then after a bit “Connection to your CarPlay device has failed please disconnect and re-try again”.

Any tips?

4. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I can’t think of anything offhand, have you looked to make sure you’ve got Bluetooth on on your phone and that the device is showing up on your phone?

5. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I can’t get it to show up on Bluetooth on my phone when I plug it in. Really weird.

6. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    You know it will show up as “FERRAR-xxxx,” where the x’s are a four digit number, right? It won’t show up as “car2play” or anything like that.

7. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Yeah. Here is what I am doing, I think it's correct. I make sure my wifi on my phone is not connected and click forget the Bluetooth connection on my phone for Ferrari.

I then, plug in the dongle to the CarPlay slot and give it a few seconds. It tends to pop up my AppleCarPlay at that time saying connecting, and then says it can't connect.

I click on pair phone on the car dash and search for it on my phone. It shows up just "Ferrari" with no numbers after it. This makes me think that it is connecting to the default head unit and not the dongle.

It connects and just has regular Bluetooth on it.

Is that how you do it?

8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    First thing to do is update it using the little barcode type thing you scan. But I seem to remember someone else trying and it not working on the California T. If there is a separate UBS slot on the car, try that instead of the Carplay one.

I have one for my Alfa Romeo, which works but it's more of a pain in the neck than anything else, half the time it won't reconnect, it also tends to lock up the touch screen on the Alfa. I finally said the hell with it and just plug the phone in via the cable.

Don't bother to try to return it, they charge a restocking fee and by the time you pay to ship it to China, you're better off sticking it up on eBay.

9. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    No, it comes up with full CarPlay. Do you have a Porto or a Cali or something else? I know people with a Cali have had more problems.

10. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I have a California which looks like the problem. Guess I really should stop buying things late at night when I am drinking.

whatheheck, AD211 and mlcor like this.
  11. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I think it's quite dependent on the car, too (even if they say the car is supported). It's more reliable in my Mercedes than in the Porto. Maybe it doesn't like Italian cars as much (like your Alfa, too). ;)

russellmcg likes this.
  12. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    The simple fix is to trade your Cali in for a Porto.

russellmcg and AD211 like this.
  13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    McG...You might want to wait until late at night and you're drinking, then just hit the "Buy me now!" button on a sweet new Porto!
    Or, just go spec a Roma!
    T

CCallaud, mlcor and russellmcg like this.
  14. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Would be an 912 if anything. Hands down my dream car.

15. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    812. Fat fingered it on my phone.

16. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    You could send me an 812 and I could verify that it works before you get your own.

russellmcg likes this.
  17. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Wireless CarPlay Adapter Carlinkit 2.0 Wired to Wireless CarPlay/Compatible with Factory Carplay Cars Audi/Porsche/Volvo/Volkswagen etc, Wireless Carp
    I just installed this and it works flawlessly with my 2017 Cali T. I originally had ordered this for my 911 and tried it in the Cali. It worked so then just ordered another for the California T. As I stated before it works flawlessly. Here is the amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FG2XRBP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

whatheheck likes this.
  18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I have the CarPlay option on my 2016 Cali T so I will try this soon.

Thanks for sharing!

Dan

19. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    I have the Carlink, and iPod(old version) and a charging pad nicely fit in the center console. Works perfectly. The car connects to the apple play and I simply place the phone on the pad and close the console. I placed a piece of foam under the fast charger to make it level.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files: