C-130/F-35 Mid-air | Page 2 | FerrariChat

C-130/F-35 Mid-air

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by jcurry, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Couldn't pick a better field to set down in.

Of course if you were in a fixed gear Cessna then you absolutely must land parallel to the furrows.

2. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
  3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#28 Tcar, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Yes, Fuel, Left refueling pod was ripped off when it crash landed. You can see right pod still in place outboard of engine #4.

Refueling was taking place on the Right pod.

No drouges on the pods between the engines.

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    yep

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I predict a big payout to the farmer whose crop was damaged by the KC-130.

6. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yep... really lucky it worked out. Some friends were flying the C-130 that crashed in Baghdad ~14 years ago and they also got extremely lucky to put it down in an empty field as that’s a much more built up area. My takeaway is that a decent unprepared spot to set it down is a lot more survivable than trying to stretch and make it to a runway.

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Probably F-84G.

I do not believe the F-86 had a refueling probe.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, an F-86 was modified to refuel with a boom from a KB-29, but production aircraft were never outfitted for AAR.

The swept wing F-84F Thunderstreak did have an AAR capability, and would be easy to confuse with an F-86. Two of them flew non-stop across the US for the first time in a fighter, requiring two KB-29 refuelings each.

Bob Parks likes this.
  9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I DO know the difference between and F-86 and an F-84G.
    Superficial resemblance only.

It was an F-86.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

ralfabco likes this.
  11. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I've refueled H-3 Jolly Green's from HC-130P' and N's. A couple of things here. The 130 had to slow to 110 kts because of rotor stall on the H-3's above 110 kts or so. At around 150,000 lbs you were just wallowing thru the air. Put two H-3's on the drogues and it's a real GF. Pull #1 back a little, pull #4 back a bunch so as to not kick the H-3 off the drogue, and push 2 & 3 up to stay flying. I've also ridden in the H-3 while it was being refueled, and sitting between the pilots in the H-3 you cannot believe how close you are to the 130 refueling hose!

I'm not sure how slow the F-35 can slow to at refueling altitude, what ever that is, but it sounds as though it could be a real goat rope. I also had the opportunity years ago to be in the back of an ANG KC-97 refueling F-100's...talk about an exercise in futility!

Bob Parks, islerodreaming and jcurry like this.
  12. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    It's a typical Marine mission. I did it in the A-6 and F/A-18 in the 80's and 90's. When we did C-130 tanking it was low level, 2,500' IIRC. The A-6 was tough because of the huge nose and the bow wave it created. I had to sneak up to the basket from below, lol. The basket would roll left or right off the nose when I missed. The Hornet was a bit easier but the AOA was high, felt like I was 'hanging on the blades'. The other problem down low over the desert is the wind and the thermals. That basket would bounce around so much I'd have to stabilize it by hitting it and then cob-on power and connect. One problem I saw that may have contributed to the F35 incident was the closure rate when on rendezvous. It's easy to overrun a C-130 down low. The join up has to be slow and steady. Sometimes all you have left is speed brakes cuz you might be at idle for a while. Fortunately we didn't do it much. We mainly played with KC-135's and KC-10's for our transpacs to Asia.

13. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    We used to do DUCK Butts (Rescue Support) for fighter drags across the Pacific. Loved them because we'd always be in HNL at Hickam for a few days because a fighter or two would always "break". Chuck's Steak House and lots of Mai Tai's. Sweet!