348 To Testarossa Comparrison | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 To Testarossa Comparrison

Discussion in '348/355' started by oo7ml, Oct 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Thats All fine. If you guys are offended I offer you my apologies.

The 348 is a beautiful car and anyone having one is fortunate to.

Demuro can make things better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Yo Brian, go take a cold shower. You have been putting up some over caffeinated posts lately in multiple places.

No body is currently pissing in your cornflakes or putting down the 348.

Everyone else Should be staying on the positive side. Thanks and keep enjoying the cars. Always plenty of good things to share and discuss.

Robb

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Again I apologize if I offended anyone. I just stated my personal preference and bias towards the 355 but that never makes the 348 a bad car. It certainly looks better than my ff and drives more fun too;)

4. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Bertil likes this.
  5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not if you love the 355 he can't, as 355 owners definitely don't want to hear what he says at the 15:20 mark.....

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yummy...argento on red. Love it. The color combo of the 348 I almost bought back in 2015..... I just think the 348 looks fantastic in silver. It really brings out the aggressive angles.

Robb and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Oh yeah I’m fully ready for my 355 to be a money pit. I bought a 99 so valve guides shouldn’t be an issue but well who knows. It’s an expensive hobby!

But well so far that 8500rpm music is great!

Ferrarium likes this.
  8. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Every one of these cars is a money pit, doesn't matter which model. The alternative is to buy something new (any brand) and then spend just as much in depreciation, if not more. At least we have the satisfaction of improving and maintaining the cars and then getting our purchase price back on the way out, 9 times out of 10. So to the OP, don't over pay regardless of which model you choose.

FourthAlfa, albert328gts and GTO Joe like this.
  9. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Here we go again. All of this is perceptual except when it comes to facts, like the cost of repairs and parts.

1. Drive - if you prefer the big heavy rooted to the highway feel of the TR, a 348 is going to feel like a darty little go cart. It can be less stable at very high speeds, but that can be remedied with some adjustments. The TR is a big heavy thing with no power steering, making it difficult to control at low speeds. Also, not a very fun autocross experience. It is designed for inter-city commutes on the autobahn, autoroutes and autostradas of Europe. It is also wide and had larger blind spots. If you prefer a responsive sports car that will dominate the twisties, the 348 is the choice. A 355 is a more civilized version of the 348 with power steering, ride control and the F1 SMG. 3 things us 348 purists decry.

2. Sound is subjective. The 348 is higher pitched but there are so many exhaust system options you can customize the note to your preference. The stock TR exhaust note is simply a flat 5 liter V-12 and you cannot argue with that. However, you are more likely to achieve an F1 high rev wail with the 348's smaller V-8. The 355 has the potential to be as much or more. In fact, certain systems render it just painful due to the higher rev range of the 5-valve engine and the bypass system.

3. Reliability - I have not witnessed much on this for better or worse. There are weak spots in each model. I find that the 355 is less reliable than either the TR or 348 due to it's more complex design and OBD II system. The 348 is essentially bullet proof. The TR has mechanical FI, not it's strong point. Unless you know a guy who is an ace with these systems. Check out this board long enough and you will observe the myriad codes that the 355 can throw. There are a few 355 issues that are pretty expensive to fix - valve guides, exhaust manifold cracks, adjustable shock failures, engine heat issues and power top failures for Spiders. Most of these have been sorted out by mindful owners, however.

4. Overall, parts are just cheaper for a 348 than any other model. So many of them are from other models and incorporated by Ferrari. There are a few parts that are scarce or unobtainable, but not too many. This is mostly true for the 355, but less so. The TR, well, you are on your own there. Engine outs on the TR are obviously more costly because it is a flat V-12 and that's how it is. 348 majors are the least costly but by far not cheap. The 355 major is somewhere in the middle.

Whatever you think, you should pick the model that fits your driving style and expectations for a Ferrari. For me, it's the 348. Lots of 355 owners think their cars are the exemplar. TR owners are in a class by themselves. It's only bad if you pick the wrong model for your driving style and expectations. You should neve just get a Ferrari because you want one and it seems cool to own it.

desmomini, Brocco, EDVTEC and 2 others like this.
  10. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    Not all 355s are OBD-2.......

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Still the same more complex design but the early ones sure seem more desirable yes.