The F50 Thread | Page 108 | FerrariChat

The F50 Thread

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by amenasce, Dec 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    This is the ultimate supercar. :p:p:p

joe sackey and 456-boy like this.
  2. Johnny_Bravo

Dec 7, 2012
    Who gives a damn about luggage ?!?

3. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    OA-RS1 is also known to you?

4. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Especially McLaren luggage.

VetroresinaNL likes this.
  5. BtvFerrari

BtvFerrari Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2020
    The Netherlands
    Camelot likes this.
  6. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    I believe they are asking £2.2m (yes that is GBP not USD)

BtvFerrari and joe sackey like this.
  7. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    Well owners do.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

ChipG likes this.
  8. Johnny_Bravo

Dec 7, 2012
    If you're rich enough to buy an F50, you shouldn't. You can just buy an extra car and hire a driver to carry your luggage around.
    The F50 is just meant to be driven and enjoyed, not to be used for trips or for going to shopping.

Modulo_B likes this.
  9. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    The F50 is one of the most accessorised Ferrari's ever made.
    Every single F50 made originally came with the factory supplied Schedoni luggage set, it was never an optional extra.
    It is now very coveted and if missing incredibly rare and hard to find, needless to say very expensive if you are lucky enough to find a set.
    I have seen several deals on F50's fall part because several accessories where missing from the car particularly the luggage.
    I know many collectors that would not entertain a car if the luggage was missing. I know many more that are constantly looking for the luggage to complete their cars!
    Similar story with the Enzo - a factory supplied 3 piece luggage set came with the car (little know fact, Enzo luggage was not made by Schedoni).
    F40 & 288GTO the luggage was an option and was never taken up by many original owners, which is why now-a-days the luggage for these cars commands a very high price and is very rare. I was told by a close contact of the Schedoni family/factory that only 92 pieces of 288GTO luggage were ever made in period.

Simple fact, original luggage is part of the cars originality, desirability and uniqueness.

Achieving this level of perfection is no easy task......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I hope people spend as much time as they do looking for these ancillaries as they do driving the cars.

Modulo_B and Boomhauer like this.
  11. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    it would be nice to think they spend more time driving, the sensation, sound and thrill the car gives you is the greatest factory supplied accessory

Modulo_B and joe sackey like this.
  12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Totally agree. The ancillaries that came with these cars are fascinating, and truly honor the full experience.

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Some drive them a lot, some very little. Some show them, some don't. However they choose to enjoy their property is fine by me. Let's remember that these cars were also designed to be beautiful. They didn't just turn out that way by accident. Hence the reason why millions grew-up with posters of Ferrari's and Lamborghini's all over there bedroom walls. It was because they looked incredible. There's nothing wrong with those who appreciate these cars for their beauty, as much, if not much more, then driving them. As an owner, I spend a lot of time researching every aspect of my cars, acquiring accessories/ancillaries, and showing them at concours. Many enjoy this aspect of ownership.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    If you're rich enough to buy an F50, you buy one with the luggage, it fits in the front compartment & interior, or you can leave it at home in the garage, no need to buy an extra car or hire a driver.

Meanwhile, any F50 can be properly driven and enjoyed on trips, for shopping and many other ways besides.

15. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Agreed

Really sad and kind of gross to see the change in perceived value these cars have sustained since they were built...used to be that an expensive sports car was just an expensive sports car. It lost value, it broke, — just like ever other car. But it was worth it for the thrill. Luggage was just luggage.

Now a 25 year old Ferrari is a piece of history? It’s compared with Renaissance art? It’s luggage sets command (I’m guessing) tens of thousands?

Dear me.

Please just drive these cars until they fall apart.

Boomhauer, simpen and amenasce like this.
  16. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    IMO the F50 was a very Japanese car in spirit, especially for the mid-1990s. High-revving N/A engine, light weight, simple interior controls and aesthetic, great natural driving dynamics.

I think that Japanese modifications to the F50 (there are a lot of modified F50s in Japan) show that they have high regard for it and appreciate its original intent.

Also, remember Best Motoring? IMO, the Japanese can do what they want with any 90s supercar.

Boomhauer likes this.
  17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    God help us. Couldn't disagree more.

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Correct, thankfully.

19. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I agree. So many owners own just to park and own. They accumulate and never really enjoy it. I know there are many ways to enjoy but I'm sorry, driving is the way to enjoy a car. I know many owners who sold bc value was just too much for them to enjoy. They told me, if I put 1000 miles, the value drops by $100k and while these people were well off, they were not that wealthy that they can brush off $100k drop bc they took the car out for a week end. On the other hand, those guys who drive them today have my respect. Either they dont care or they have FU money.

rossocorsa13, Boomhauer and simpen like this.
  21. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  22. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I have no clue, but I'm sure people here can confirm. If that's him, he's for sure a man of taste !

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    @ 350 F50 owners disagree with you, and I feel certain that if you had purchased an F50 a few years ago which had doubled in value, you'd be singing a very different tune ;)

Let's not generalize or typecast the mentality of the F50 owner based on the testimony of a few, or preach about how people should use their cars as if it was a perfect world where everyone should follow the same protocols. The fact is, plenty of F50 owners use their cars quite regularly and really enjoy driving their cars.

Driving is far from the only way to enjoy an F50, after all, these are not just cars whose intent was utilitarian transportation, they're iconic Ferrari Supercars.

At this point, if you've owned an F50 for just a few years years, if I you put on 1,000 miles, it doesn't affect the value at all, they are not that mileage-sensitive, the notion that an F50 drops by $100k if you drive it sounds to me like someone's justification for an excuse to sell anyway. Driving your F50 doesn't mean you don't care about the value or have FU money, it's simply means you have the time to drive your F50.

It gets tiring hearing people (almost always non-owners) bemoan those who seemingly don't use their cars every singe weekend and rack up tens of thousands of miles annually, its not a perfect world, let's remember that many don't use their cars often simply because they have other priorities such as family and business, the latter which affords them the ability to own an F50 in the first place, and often many other cool things besides.

Let's be happy there are people who own these cars, take care of them, give them the respect they deserve, and drive them whenever they can.

24. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Extremely well said! I drive mine wherever possible but work and family ( and other F cars ) dictate fewer miles than I’d like to drive - my F50 is my favourite Ferrari but I drove it less than 500 miles last year ..... I did take her to Maranello a couple of years ago but minimal since . I’ve just been invited by Ferrari to attend the 25th F50 anniversary at the FM ( Ferrari Mondiali ) parade at the Misano track on the 8th of November in Italy - I would have driven the F50 from the UK where I live , but am not able to attend that date for business /family reasons so will not be putting those 2500 miles I otherwise would have ..... F50 owners such as myself enjoy these cars in so many different ways and at different levels - each owners enjoyment is fulfilling enough for them . Whilst im typing this , I’m missing the noise so have just decided to take her out for a nice country blast on Saturday ! I’m going to scare a few hundred cows and sheep!

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Perfectly stated, that's reality.

JagShergill likes this.