F430 F1 Blinking Gear Indicator | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 F1 Blinking Gear Indicator

Discussion in '360/430' started by GeeWhizPilot, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tubi360

tubi360 Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    Thanks for the info. I am a newbie here and first time owner of a F430 and have the same flashing 4th warning. I plan to bring in for service this spring.

2. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Does it just flash or also go into neutral?

"I don't believe in reincarnation, I'm only going to live once. I paid for the car so I might as well use it".

3. tubi360

tubi360 Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    It shifted fine in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. When I shift into 4th, it start flashing 4.
    Sometime and getting more frequent, when I shift into 5th, it goes into neutral. Then it would not shift into 6th, only shift back to 4th.
    I got the F430 last Oct with 14,000 miles and put it 1,200 miles since.
    Last drove it on Christmas and New Year Eve in Boston. Now sitting in the garage withing for spring

4. Michigan430

Michigan430 Rookie

Jun 9, 2015
    Troy, Michigan
    You have any updates to what happened here? Mine started to do the same, and now it shifts from 3rd to Neutral. About to take it apart and look into it myself.

5. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Sounds like you need an actuator alignment. There is a special tool for that. Many repair shops don't have it. I'd bring it in and let them do a check with the SD 3 or Leonardo before you do anything to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

2007 430. 19k miles. I am getting the flashing number “4” while I'm in 4th. Disconnected battery and relearn procedure, stopped blinking for a few. Then back to the blink. Zero other faults. Happened after dealer serviced the regular gear oil, not F1 hydraulic fluid. Anyone resolve the blinking and if so what was it?

Thank You.

7. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Update only seems to happen when drivetrain is hot and shifting from 3-4 at high rpm or down from 5-4 same.

Anyone know what the cure is?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    I know this sounds crazy. That's because it is. These cars have all kinds of monitoring sensors that can cause weird problems. The problems might be caused by something other than the place being monitored. For instance, if a brake or tail light is out the "computer" senses a change in power draw and will cause problems sorta like this with the F1 transmission. I have had problems like this unless I let my 2005 F430 warm up at least 4 minutes before driving. Check all of your lights. Now really crazy. Check your engine oil. They may not have filled properly. Worth a try? Remember engine must be running and hot to check. Could be overfilled? Also, on my car, if you paddle up a gear at low rmp's you might get a flashing gear number.

NMNMNMN likes this.
  9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Normally that's PIS but it can be actuator setup. Unfortunately it's all guesswork without someone knowledgeable being in front of the car with diagnostics.

NMNMNMN likes this.
  10. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    It’s the F1 potentiometers (248095) I had the exact same problem for a year. My local shop diagnosed it as the potentiometers from the codes it was throwing. After I replaced them it has not come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NMNMNMN and armedferret like this.
  11. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Thanks. Mine is only when trans is hot and shifting from 3-4 or 5-4 from higher rpms.
    Shifts flawless and no other issues at all. Going to take it to a guy with some equipment to diagnose/repair and mention all of the input from this thread. Thanks to all of you.

12. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Mine did it yesterday in 95 degree heat on a downshift went to neutral. I think it’s more sensor related than mechanical.

13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Not sure if it’s the same, but my 355 F1 gear indicator was blinking periodically in 4th gear. Research says it was needing to realign the shift rod or actuator. We hooked it up and ran the re-learne program on a Leonardo last week. So far I’ve driven it twice in a very spirited way without any blinking. My car had no codes stored, just the blinking gear indicator. It was telling me to do the re-learn of the shift rod or whatever the process is called. If that’s the only issue you are having, go run this program somewhere. Mine never dropped out of gear or anything like that, just the flashing. The clutch and all related F1 stuff had been changed recently and that didn’t solve it. Once again, this was a 355.

armedferret and NMNMNMN like this.
  14. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it. I will make sure that the Indy shop I am planning on using has a Leonardo system to run the reset.

This forum is the best! Cheers!

15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    You’re welcome. I hope it works.

NMNMNMN likes this.
  16. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    The plot thickens - my car has one of the rear bulbs out. I highly doubt this is affecting the shift or blinking, but will replace and report back.

NMNMNMN and Skippr1999 like this.
  17. Ed1221

Ed1221 Rookie

May 5, 2018
    Would agree with previous comments in the thread. My 430 had exactly the same problem, flashing 4th gear indicator, then recently a couple un-commanded shifts to neutral. Independent shop saw the corresponding error codes, cleared them and did a relearn. That seems to have solved the problem so-far. They have also seen the same issue on other 430s, which turned out to be a malfunctioning potentiometer.

18. Rohry

Rohry Karting

Jun 5, 2015
    Charleston, SC
    I started having this problem A few months ago. After replacing the internal seals (minor improvement) my mechanic sent it off to have the actuator's piston rebuilt in the UK. Probably going to cost $12,000, better than the $25,000 that a brand new one costs.

Qavion likes this.
  19. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Wow I have a perfectly working actuator with only 11k miles on it in the for sale section for 3500

Skippr1999 likes this.
  20. Rohry

Rohry Karting

Jun 5, 2015
    Charleston, SC
    Thanks for the info, too late for me though. It's been rebuilt. I'm not sure my mechanic would have installed a used one anyway. It seems most of these "internal leaks" are a time-related problem, not a miles related issue.

21. Asthenis

Asthenis Karting

Jan 20, 2023
    Thanks, for this thread, I had the same issue in 5th gear, geting stuck in 5 and after I stopped for a while it never appeared again. but I will get my f1 system checked on my 2005. apparently it can also be a gear selector potentiometer issue. the replacement of the F1 pump is 3000$ so not as much as a full F1 system, I might consider it one day as its an older model. thanks!