Speeding ticket today | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Speeding ticket today

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by toomanymodz, Oct 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    In my younger years, I spent a LOT of time in traffic courts across the western states. In MOST cases (not all) I could negotiate something where the points were deferred, in favor of a hefty fine and "surcharge" (usually 80% of the fine!!). Various stipulations applied, including traffic school, defensive driving courses, etc etc. Most places out west have allowed a "Plea in Abeyance", which is essentially what clonmeliw described above: Plead "no contest" and agree to the terms, the sentence (points) are deferred until the terms are met, at which time they are suspended.

I NEVER tried to do these negotiations on a 3-digit ticket without an attorney. Over 99mph, or anytime the infraction includes the words "reckless" or other "enhancements" I wouldn't risk it. that drivers' license means far too much to me.

I've been pulled-over twice in my Ferrari since I got it this April. In both instances I was, in fact, speeding. Neither were barn-burners, but rather "42-in-a-35" sort of thing. In both instances I was polite, even pleasant and appreciative to them of how hard their job must be. In both instances they asked if they could take a picture, and then handed me back my docs and sent me on my way, without even so much as a written warning.

By contrast: the last time I was pulled over in the Porsche, I had been doing 120 moments before I saw him and he clocked me at 98 (I was the only car on the interstate that early morning). I was just as polite and pleasant with him, but he wanted to scream and yell at me for 20 minutes about how unsafe that is. THEN he wrote the ticket. He also mentioned to me that over 99mph that county required him to impound the car.

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As several here have said, it pays to be respectful to the police officer. It may not get you out of the ticket, but being an a hole definitely will not. This is not a speeding ticket, but it escalated because of the idiot in the Ferrari.

3. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer

Well, that was predictable. Attempting to leave the scene of an active traffic stop (or simple parking violation?) is already boneheaded and running over the cop's foot doesn't help matters...he's probably traded a simple ticket for a felony assault on a police office and he's very lucky he didn't get an ass whipping - at a minimum he's cost himself a felony arrest and I'm pretty sure the cop with the limp WILL be coming to court.

4. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    What we witnessed in that video is just embarrassing. All the way around.
    My guess? That was a Ferris Buehler; Dad didn't know he had his Ferrari out, and a parking ticket would've had him busted in a heartbeat. haha But what an idiot to just keep rolling when the cop told him to stop.

And the cop? yeah, what he did there didn't win him any respect-points in the community. I think sweeter revenge would've been to let him drive-away, (rather than fake an injury) and then book him later for "evasion", or even a felony hit-n-run, if he wanted to push the "ran-over-my-foot" thing.

5. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
  6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    When I got a ticket in the Cayenne in 2019, my sweetie (in the passenger seat) decided to ask the officer "if he could be quick because we were going to the airport". Well that got us a sizable ticket... so I got an attorney. Settled, gone, no issues.
    I will NEVER try to fight a traffic ticket again without an attorney...

7. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I doubt anyone on this board has had more tickets than me. Almost all before I was 21.

About a dozen between 21 and 35, since then maybe 1-2.

At one point I had so many on my record I got called into the DMV because they had no idea how I still had my license. They printed out my record and held it up, it unfurled from head high down to the floor (remember green bar paper?)

I went to court on every single one, and *always* either won or got fines reduced, or when I could traffic school.

some cops lost the case all on there own, some didn’t show up (maybe 8%). Most didn’t remember the facts and I had charts and diagrams.

I’ve even had the freeway closed once because they couldn’t catch me (over 20 cop cars). Tyler exit on the 91 fwy. The back story was an off duty cop was effing with me and I asked the 30 or so cops to help me with a citizen’s arrests The prosecutor agreed to 85+ and unsafe lane change.

Nolo press makes a book called “fight your ticket” which I encourage anyone thinking of fighting a ticket buy and read.

as others have said, triple digits gets into serious territory.

lawyer up for this one, and don’t go cheap.

8. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I have to tell one story; in the 80's I was blasting down the 101 in my 928s doing about 120, swung onto the 10 and got lit up. I'm thinking I'm going to jail, cop asked me "you know how fast you were going?", "no officer I'm sorry I was not watching" - well you were doing at least 85 (he didn't see me on the 101, picked me up after I transitioned). Okay so 85 in a 55 driving a Porsche, not a good factual case to fight. So I decided to turn things around, my first question was "is it good to get a Porsche?" - uh, what do you mean? "well, when you get back to the station do you say hey I got another Porsche tonight", this is where the cop blew it - he started lying. "Uh, no, not at all" - judge looks at him funny. then I ask "well when you see a Porsche do you already think they are speeding? "no, no, no, not at all - in fact they are always driving slower than all the other cars", "you sure? I'm driving the 2nd fastest production care in the world and it is your testimony that these cars drive slower than others?" - "yes that is my testimony" at that point the judge was pissed because the officer was obviously lying - even the other cops in the box were shaking their heads or were looking down at the floor. The judge looked at me, asked me how fast I was going, without blinking I said "55" - judge says "it appears there is a problem in the facts presented by the state - case dismissed" and glared the cop right out of the courtroom.

Another thing, cops are generally not good at math, go back and measure distances, figure out a time table of distance vs speed and how long he paced you and where he pulled you over, wright down the makes and color of cars around you at the time, rev-visit the site and take note of landmarks or signs. The more detail you can provide that the cop can't remember the better your case looks. (can you remember the billboard we passed?) They have to be able to testify about facts and have to remember more than just "he was speeding" but it is up to you or your lawyer to bring them up. Measure the courtroom before trial, ask the cop to estimate the length and width, if he is off by more than 30% he obviously cannot judge distance, and time vs speed = distance. I've even done the "guess the speed of the ball I just dropped" trick. And the "what were your tire pressure that night? (tire pressure can throw off the speedometer a few mph)

And whatever you do, don't ever say you were speeding. That would make you guilty, object to the question, the state has to prove their case, you don't have to admit to it (most common mistake in court).

Jdubbya, Andynyc, Thecadster and 2 others like this.
  9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    what is your age and your previous driving record?

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed- got caught during 120mph In a rental Camry... I know... just a ticket and u pay to go to traffic school and voila.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
    I got pulled over a few years ago on 5 North out of LA just after the Grapevine where it flattens out doing 156 mph. I had been doing around 175. I saw the lights go on a CHP at the center abutment of an overpass. I just started slowing down and pulled over down the road when I got slowed down. It seemed like it was 2 minutes or more before he pulled up and I was out of the car leaning on the back bumper. He came running up to me with his radar gun yelling at me asking do I know how fast I was going. I said I really did not know. When he told me he got me at 156 I almost wanted to say it was a good thing I was slowing down. This was around 6:00 am on a Sunday morning and almost no one on the highway. He said he was going to have to load my car up and I was going to jail. He then started asking about the car and if it was stock and how I got it up to that speed. We had a pretty good conversation and I was not being a jackass and was saying I was sorry but it was too easy to go fast in this car. He finally said he was going to write me up for 99 mph and I asked if that was eligible for traffic school. He said no. He also said he was going to inform every CHP between the pull over location and the Bay Area where I was going home that a Yellow Corvette Z06 with yellow wheels was coming through and if I was 5 mph over the limit to pull me over. He also said if I was some ******* in a Ferrari I would have been impounded and go to jail. I was driving a 2008 Z06 coming home from a trip to San Diego. I think it cost me around $400 for the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Lucky boy !

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  13. toomanymodz

toomanymodz Rookie

Aug 18, 2007
    FL
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I appreciate all of the advice. Some great stories too. This was my first ticket since 2008, and my first speeding ticket since 1998. I hired a good attorney and this guy used to be a judge, so he was highly recommended by several of my friends. The secretary took my info and just told me very politely, almost matter-of-fact what to expect. Basically zero points, but I still have to pay the fine of $1000 plus fees. The judge may reduce the fine but probably not. The attorney fee is $250 and I don't have to go to court.

Now I wonder if my insurance will still go up, even with zero points. A friend of mine who works in insurance said that it still may, since the ticket will show up in their system. Even with zero points they may pop it up anyways. Not much though he said, maybe $100 every six months. Stay clean for the next 3 yrs he said.

Thecadster and Texas Forever like this.
  14. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I hope they reduce the speed. Some states look at multiple offenses as more serious so if you get another one it may mean jail time

If you’re like me you still speed, you’ll just be more aware of the cops and where you speed at.

15. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.

Guessing you were doing a bit better than 86 in that 70 zone, otherwise? In NC, I'd have gone with a "prayer for judgement," paid maybe half that price, and there would be no further record.

p.s.: NC is WEIRD - those not familiar might want to google "NC prayer for judgement" - doesn't exist anywhere else.

Thecadster and Texas Forever like this.
  16. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    we got tagged in NC on our 1,200 mile mondial road trip. Hired a local guy who worked it to some faulty equipment speedometer deal. Non-moving violation. Different jurisdictions are certainly........ different. (Like short bus different if you don’t regularly practice there). Just added it to the vacation expense and thanked the Ferrari gods we weren’t caught for everything else we could have on that trip. (Cough-Chesapeake bridge tunnel-cough).

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had to laugh at that. Isn't it true. If the cops only knew what we really did! :D

Of course not any more, I'm an upstanding citizen in my old age. ;)

18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    so sad. a ex judge now worked for only $250 and help somebody got out what he deserved. I wonder what went through this ex judge's head, if he looked at the judge and thought he used to sit in that high chair looking down.

19. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #44 m5shiv, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    The "judge" in traffic court is simply another tax collector. Many are "commissioners" who get paid to say "guilty" all day, please swipe your debit card and be on your way.

Luckily though, here in the US, you have a right to trial in a traffic court. Unlike most of Europe, where a robot just fines you straight to your mailbox, with no recourse.

20. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    OP, glad you found help, best to leave it at that.

21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I see. I really thought a judge is someone of respect within the circle of experienced lawyers. oh well.

22. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    I'd love to hear just one example of an attorney arguing a traffic case. Prosecutor, defense attorney, and "judge" are all members of a card-carrying club, aka "the BAR". As I wrote before -- have your case moved to a judicial hearing, have your attorney file a motion for the judge's oath of office. For starters.

23. USC96

USC96 Rookie

Sep 27, 2020
    We have a municipal charge in SC known as Careless Operation. It is zero points, but high dollar fine. Many times the cop will write you a 2 point ($100) ticket when you are going over 10mph over the speed limit (normally a 4 point ticket), then at court agree to let the cop rewrite the ticket as a Careless Operation so you get zero points (no insurance hit), but the fine get jacked up from $100 to $400. It is a money maker for the municipalities.

If you are an out of state driver who gets ticketed in SC, you have to be careful because 0 point Careless Operation is treated as 6 point Negligent Operation when it shows up on your driving record in states (like NC) that don't have Careless Operation.

24. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Rule #1- delay. If the officer shows up the first time say your legal representation was unavailable and ask for a delay. In NY you can do this twice. If the officer is a no show- plead it down or get it dismissed- deny you were speeding
    Rule#2- get an attorney who does this all the time-many are former DAs or Judges who now work the other side-its worth the money. If you have a clean record they can often plead it down to a no point violation
    Rule#3- review the ticket carefully for factual errors- time, day, name, sex, vehicle info- these all can get you out on a technicality
    Rule#4-Always be courteous, shut off engine and radio, place key on the dash and hands on the wheel , open all windows and turn the interior lights on at night and pull over as far as possible onto the shoulder to make it as safe as possible for the officer. Again be polite- unlikely these things may get you off a triple speed citation which requires a court appearance or more but he may write it for less if you make it easy for him and don’t give him a tough time

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    rule #5. apologize!