488 - First time dragy after Mase Tune | FerrariChat

488 First time dragy after Mase Tune

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by aferrari, Oct 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aferrari

aferrari Rookie

Sep 27, 2020
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    AFerrari
    Hey guys, I'm new here. I come from the Porsche world and new to Ferrari. Got my 488 GTB recently and absolutely love it. One of the first things I did was get the Mase Tune. I only drove my 488 a few times before sending the ECU out. The 488 bone stock before the Mase tune was an absolute beast compared to my 991.2. And after the Mase tune it seems like the shifts give more kick. I really couldn't tell much of a difference, but who can really tell when it's a few tenths of a second.
    I wanted to know if the Mase tune did anything so what I did is go buy a dragy. Got it today, and went for a ride tonight. I was only able to get 1 run but I am very pleased with the results. 60-130 in 6.72 seconds! 0-60 was 3.40 seconds, but I had massive wheel spin when shifting to 2nd. The tires were at 90 degrees but it was 64 degrees outside. 1/4 mile was 10.78 seconds. If I hadn't got wheel spin, wow. I let off the gas when I got wheel spin, and I let off the gas a little at 120 just getting a little nervous. Then let off completely at 135. I was in Race mode with the comfort suspension On, and some of the shifts I did, and some of the shifts the car did on it's own.
    Still, super happy with the dragy results and super happy with the Mase Tune. The dragy confirmed that the Mase Tune kicks ass. I didn't have the dragy before the Mase Tune so I don't have a true before/after, but there are plenty of youtube videos on the dragtimes channel that show what the 488 does bone stock, and according to what we see on dragtimes the 2016-2017 488s don't live up to the performance specs put out by Ferrari. With the Mase Tune, it does perform as it really should and then some, so it was money well spent.
    With regard to the Mase Tune, it was a great pleasure to talk to Steve and it was a quick turn around with the ECU. He is an absolute professional in his work, and very friendly as well. 100% recommended.
    Next I may get some lighter wheels, maybe some HREs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats! Great thing about turbos is there is easy horsepower to be gained.

aferrari likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Interesting that you can't tell a real difference in power. Comparing a 488 and Pista it is pretty evident. What kind of power gains does that Mase tune provide? Also, what kind of fuel do you use? I ask the latter, because some places in the US like California has absolute dogwater for fuel. Even the "quality" 91 is rubbish out there with a low MON. Try putting in some unleaded trackday style 100+ AKI fuel, it might matter a lot with your new tune.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

aferrari likes this.
  4. aferrari

aferrari Rookie

Sep 27, 2020
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    AFerrari
    To be fair, i didnt have enough experience and didnt remember exactly what it felt like before the tune, then I waited 2 days, and drove it again. My butt dyno said it still felt like a rocket. Fuel here is 93 octane.

5. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Impressive 1/4 mile performance and I'll bet you could shave a few tenths off of the 0-60 time.

aferrari likes this.
  6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    The tune might be great. My experience tuning a turbo engine was that it performed worse on a racetrack. Top speed on the back straight of COTA went down after the tune, even though it felt like it had more low end torque around town. My theory is the tune caused the turbos to overheat while lapping.

mdrums likes this.
  7. aferrari

aferrari Rookie

Sep 27, 2020
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    AFerrari
  8. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    Sorry dont want to make you dissapointed but your 60-130 time is not good.
    Look at the leaderboard on dragy.

Stock one guy made it in 6.32 and another in 6.56.

Try LC and measure 60-130.

9. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Yes
    6.32 it’s my stock car at +10 Celsius . It is best time, but I can run 6,5 many times.

If someone want to compare times, he should do his best, in proper mode, without off the gas, with perfect manual shifts etc. But for race mode and auto shifts 6,5 is good time, better then stock.

Good run + good tune = high 5 sec 60-130

10. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    His time was with a tune.

11. aferrari

aferrari Rookie

Sep 27, 2020
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    AFerrari
    Leaderboard for reference. #7 with wheelspin and other mistakes, I'll take it.

The 2019 488 GTB at #9 is stock. 11.15 seconds qtr mile.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. aferrari

aferrari Rookie

Sep 27, 2020
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    AFerrari
    I'll try to get some more 60-130 runs and see what I get. Thanks for letting me know about the leaderboard. I didn't know it existed!

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  13. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    try 60-130 with LC in shifts later when LC is activated.

SVR likes this.
  14. aferrari

aferrari Rookie

Sep 27, 2020
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    AFerrari
    Good weather tonight for being November and I was able to get 2 runs. Race mode, LC. No changes to my car since the last post.

The first run I only did 1/8th mile. It was a pretty good launch, no wheel spin. 0-60 was 3.49, which is nowhere near the 3.0 it's supposed to get. 1/8th mile in 7.14. I let off way too early and didn't get to the 1/4 mile at full speed on the first run.

My second run I had some wheelspin during launch. 0-60 was 3.53s. 1/8th mile in 7.21, 1/4 mile 10.77s at 132.42 mph. 60-130 I got 5.88 which is a big improvement over the 6.72 I got when I first posted. 0-130mph was 9.42s.

Looking at the 1/4 mile chart, I am letting off the gas a bit too early at the end. I would have had a pretty good run. I'll have to try again soon, weather permitting.

@SVR 5.88 60-130 pretty decent for the mase tune?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

kumar75150, SVR, LVP488 and 1 other person like this.
  15. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I do not see what the improvement on this tune is.... 488's stock do 10.6 /10.7 all the time 132mph. Drag times and others have the video's...street and track.

I would think by spending money on a tune you'd get around 10.3 or .4 136+mph in the 1/4 mile.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What tyre temps are you at and what is your pressures at? Temps and pressures have a major impact on those times. Try running with tyres at 60-65 c. and 2.15 bar. The Michelins don't like too high pressures for maximum bite. The 488/F8/Pista with Michelins run really well with hot pressures in the 2.1-2.2 bar squared range.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That's a beautiful 488......!!!

aferrari and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  18. aferrari

aferrari Rookie

Sep 27, 2020
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    AFerrari
    i let off the gas, you can see the chart. 0-130 was in the mid nines. Qtr mile would have been awesome if I didn't let off.

ill do more runs another day and see what it comes down to.Im happy with the results.

mdrums likes this.
  19. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Yes! As I say high 5’s sec. 60-130 it’s a good run for tuned 488.
    Congrats!

kumar75150 and aferrari like this.
  20. aferrari

aferrari Rookie

Sep 27, 2020
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    AFerrari
    This car is incredible. It is worlds better than the 991.2, tho it might not be a fair comparison. Even mid 6's seemed lightning fast for me compared to the 911. Now with the tune, I grab on for dear life when I hold the pedal to the floor. I'm thinking of a high flow cats and light wheels next. :D

21. aferrari

aferrari Rookie

Sep 27, 2020
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    AFerrari
    The tires are about 100 degrees F. 60C = 140F. I don't know how I can get them that hot. We cant really do standing burn outs in these cars, can we? The tire psi are 31psi. Pls let me know if we can do burn outs to warm them up. I'm not aware of how we can.

22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Take it out of race mode...cute all the way off...it will do burn outs, donuts etc

aferrari likes this.
  23. DonJohnson

DonJohnson Rookie

Oct 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Don Johnson
    I recently bought a 488 and installed the Novitec tuning piggyback and there is a big difference in performace. The Novitec I can turn the tune on and off at the Manettino and I have done some 0-100 times with and without and the tune is worth approx 3 tenths. Car can also break the tires loose in 3rd gear with the tune on. I have read that the Mase tune supposedly builds more power then the Novitec so seems like you should really be able to feel the difference. Can Mase analyze some data logs? Your 1/4 mile times and especially trap speeds look way off.

24. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    Have you mesured any times?

25. aferrari

aferrari Rookie

Sep 27, 2020
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    AFerrari
    My 488 was probably doing 11-11.3 quarter miles before the tune. Now doing 10.7.

The reason I couldn't really tell is cause I was coming from a 911, so even a 11 felt like a rocket. I drove it for a couple of days then sent the ecu, then when I got it back I couldn't remember what it felt like other than it was way faster than the 911.

At some point I'll send the ecu back to get restored before taking it in for maintenance. Then send it back to get remapped. Or I may just buy a 2nd ecu so I can swap out when I need it. Once I do that then I'll time it without the tune to be sure.

FYI I know ppl supposedly do 10.7 without a tune in countries outside the USA. I don't know if the 2016 and 2017 were tuned down in the USA. Dragtimes talks about this in the last video on this list.

Here are some videos showing 2016 and 2017 488s in the US doing 11-11.3

Here are some 2018 and 2019 488s in the US doing 10.7-10.8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVkcCTOrrb0

Again, I assume mine would do 11-11.3 without the tune, mine being a 2017. With the tune I do 10.7, so I'm happy.