My 83 QV Resto | FerrariChat

My 83 QV Resto

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by wilkrod, Oct 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
  2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
  3. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
  4. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Sub'd......

5. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    super cool project.

i’m stuck here in California.

can’t do anything,, except pistons and exhaust. ( douh,,,!)

:)

6. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Just cleaning up the shop today, putting parts on shelf, etc. Finished taking the exhaust apart to see whats salvageable, ditching the thermal reactors. Tomorrow will do a leak down on the motor, want to know how far to tear it down. Also wondering about cams, the CIS cams are less than desirable, so looking for suggestions on what would be good replacements. Looking for improved low and mid range torque vs. absolute top end horsepower.
    Thanks
    Jeff

7. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Pressure washed the sub frame today, 37 years of accumulated oil, grease, crud. some of the factory rust proofing material also came off, so I think I will finish striping it down, send out for media blast, and powder coat. Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Finished leak down today, not good. Using 90 P.S.I. the following results:
    #1: 88 P.S.I.
    #2: 76 P.S.I.
    #3: 87 P.S.I.
    #4: 10 P.S.I.
    #5: 88 P.S.I.
    #6: 82 P.S.I.
    #7: 87 P.S.I.
    #8: 10 P.S.I.
    All the low readings were leaking past the intake valves.
    This car has 19,000 miles, but has not run in the past 5 years, I drove it into my shop, and it was running fine at the time. I am wondering if the intakes are just sticking open. I will get out the borescope tomorrow and try and take a look into the intake tracts to see if anything is evident. Also working on the subframe, the freaking rear motor mount bolts are frozen solid, my impact driver won't budge them. ****!
    Regards
    Jeff
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    moysiuan likes this.
  10. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    greg328 likes this.
  11. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Subframe went to blasting/powder coat today, 3 week backlog.
    Pulled the valve train, did leak down on my two dead cylinders, still nada. valve stems all measure same height, so I suspect burnt intake valve. Heads come off tomorrow, hopefully! Have heard many horror stories of stuck heads on these motors so fingers crossed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    So still waiting for my head stud/nut removal tool, should be here Monday. In the meantime, pulled all the bushings from the rear A-arms, rubber was rotted, cracked, etc. I will take the A-arms to the powder coater for refinishing Monday. I will be using split type bushings that I will machine on my lathe from delrin/steel.
    Testa
    Jeff

greg328 and JLF like this.
  13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Check some threads about frame cracks. Might be mostly on Cabs..... don't recall. So before you powder coat it perhaps some prophylactic welds might be in order.
    Looking good!

Edit: want to say it's where the upper A arm connects.... though not 100%

greg328 likes this.
  14. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Wanna see the Lotus!

greg328 likes this.
  15. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Very impressive and inspiring project! I will be curious to see what is the cause of the low compression was on such a low mileage car.

greg328 likes this.
  16. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    So good progress today. Got the front head off! Two studs were corroded, so holding the head on. Used the rope method, loaded cylinders 5, and 8 with rope turned it to TDC, and the head popped off the locating dowels. Wood shims, and much swearing later it came off. Those head stud nuts are a *****, no room whatsoever! I'll take a look at the head later to see why #8 had no compression. Working to get the rear head off.
    Testa
    Jeff
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

moysiuan likes this.
  17. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    So I put plugs in the head, flipped it over and filled the combustion chambers with alcohol, sure enough #8 is leaking thru the inlet valve(s). 5,6,and 7 are tight, so this absolutely confirms the leak-down test! Glad I didn't pull the head for nothing. I will pop those two inlet valves and have a look. I do know for sure the pistons never touched the valves, there is not a mark on the piston crowns. So we will see.
    Rear head is still stuck, will keep trying, it won't pop with 1 & 4 stuffed with rope.
    Testa
    Jeff

moysiuan likes this.
  18. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    So popped out the offending intake valves, looks like there was a piece of crud in one that was preventing it from seating. Put the valves on the lathe to check for run out, and they are well within new spec. The stem seals are toast, so will pull all the valves to clean, re-lap the valves in the seats, put in new seals, and re-assemble in reverse order as they say. Still can't get the rear head off, time for nukes.

moysiuan likes this.
  19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If its been sitting for years the rings might be stuck

20. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    So, the low yield nuclear device I borrowed from Navy when I left was not able to separate the head from the block. Must have been the 1/2" of grease absorbing the neutron flux. Anyway, resorted to redneck engineering, slung the head from the crane, and success! The head has started to separate from the block! I can tell there is still one stud stuck to the head, but now it's just a mater of working it up, down, all around as they say. I am certainly glad I have gotten more patient in my old age.

21. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
  22. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    Fun project and excellent work thus far.
    John (in Conn)

paulchua likes this.
  23. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
  24. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    paulchua likes this.
  25. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Took a break from cleaning off cylinder head gaskets. Measuring cylinder liners to make sure they are still in spec. So far so good, #8 is well within new spec. 7 more to go. I am ordering new high compression pistons (10.5), so need to know if I need new liners also. hopefully not.
    Testa
    Jeff

paulchua likes this.