348 Twin Turbo dyno results | FerrariChat

348 Twin Turbo dyno results

Discussion in '348/355' started by ATSAaron, Oct 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I recently bought a 348 with twin Garrett GT2554 turbos from Bob Norwood. It's fun. I could tell by the Motec data logs that the tune was extremely conservative. So I made time to day to get it on my dyno and work on the tune. We got some great results. The kit is very basic, I would do it over with an intercooler and slightly larger turbos, but it works, and 410whp is nothing to sneeze at. The graph below is a comparison of the turbo 348 versus a stock 348. Same year cars, same dyno. Using the original drivetrain loss percentage we are right at 500 horsepower now.

We've already got another 348 scheduled in January for the same treatment...well plus the bigger turbos, and an intercooler.

Oh, I don't know if any of you know me, but I also have a 800hp (678whp) turbocharged 308. And sold my 550whp Mondial 3.2 earlier this year. Turbocharging Ferrari's is kind of my thing.

Aaron
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    Pics of the engine setup ? Very interesting.

3. Henry Onid

Henry Onid Rookie

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Henry Onid
  4. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    FloridaIsland348 and crinoid like this.
  5. Henry Onid

Henry Onid Rookie

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Henry Onid
    Thank you, that's very interesting, do you have any plans for the future with this build?

6. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I’ll add an intercooler, maybe change the ecu, install larger injectors and set it up for E85. That should easily do 500whp if the turbos can hold boost to redline.

Aaron

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Doesn't look like it would be too hard to build a -sandwich- style air to water under the plenum(s). Could keep most of it as-is that way. 11psi all in at 3700 or?

8. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Will you work on making the hp and tq lines smooth like the original ferrari ones?

9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    He already answered your question in a way. When it's intercooled and IAT's drop 100+ degrees it will take a bit more timing and smooth out the graph.

Nothing abnormal about it as-is, non intercooled/turbocharged.

ATSAaron and Ianjoub like this.
  10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Need some videos of your 308 that has to be a blast!

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Looks like Tial waste gates and oil cooled turbos. Where did you tap into the oil system? We're talking 1.17L per side so small turbos are in order, I assume you used something like a TD04. Problem is always a large enough AR to hold boost but not so big the lag is annoying. Maybe a small twin scroll from a European car? I also do not see the original maf's what replaced them for metering air in? The standalone ecu you used, I assume the original ecu plug was re-pinned to mate to it. Using stock injectors, they are kind of small, did you add an adjustable fpr to compensate?

Non turbo cars with a turbo added can live a good long life as long as one does not start thinking of it as a turbo car. 350 at the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics would be plenty. That's roughly 100 more than stock. I'm sure one can get 8000 hp but for how long is another question.

Awesome man good job, personally I am interested in this topic

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  12. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    No. You really can't with a turbo car like this. The engine "wants" more timing, but the 93 octane fuel cant support that. Plus these are 4th gear, very high resolution pulls. If I showed you third gear it would look smoother. The car feels smooth as glass on the road.

Aaron

13. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Garrett GT2554. They spool FAST. I don't know how much further I can push them.

The ECU is a Motec M84. It uses a GM 2 bar map sensor and a user/tuner defined VE table instead of a MAF sensor. I may swap it out for a Link G4 Storm that supports flex fuel. That way I could run E85 and more boost.

360 injectors. If I go E85/Flex fuel I will swap those out for some 60lb DEKA injectors. Those got me 600whp in my 308 (I have 83lb Deka injectors in the 308 now)

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Did you use an unterminated loom for the M84 and splice it into the existing ecu wiring or did you wire it to a Mortonic plug that mates with the existing engine harness?

Ahh those are water lines, I assume you T'ed off the radiator return somewhere then, the picture looks like a braided line but most of the coolant plumbing is rubber which is why I ask not obvious where you tap in an an fitting unless its new fitting at the radiator itself.

Routing of that pluming worked out great, is the waste gate dumping to atmosphere or into the exhaust?

What is the little breather filter on the back of the intake box?

15. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    The turbo is oil cooled only. Not normally recommended for a Garrett GT turbo, but these are far enough back from the motor and low that heat on the bearings isn't a huge issue.

The harness is a combination of the stock harness and a custom harness.

The turbos have internal wastegates that dump into the exhaust downpipes.

Little breather is a vent for the stock oil sump tank.

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ahh using the oil jacket only hence the steel lines. Where did you tap the turbo oil from, oil filter sandwich plate?

17. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Had you considered a water/methanol injection system? They are relatively cheap.

18. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Most are pretty unreliable long term.

19. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Just tap into the oil filter mount.

20. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Hey man, really nice job on the turbo conversion. Must make it a pretty nice and exciting car to drive now...

I could not recommend the Link ECU enough, I have been using them in my race cars since the 90's.
    They are a nice versatile package, we have tuned many many cars on Link's, the current G4 series are really good....

I assume you'd just use the manifold vacuum/pressure for the fuel map, that's what I've always done with my turbo engines......

Hmmmm food for thought, I was just going to fit a Link to my 348 and tune the best we can, we have very good 98 octane fuel in New Zealand here, so with that we should be able to get some timing into it, was hoping to get another 30-40hp with a decent tune and upgrading to modern 250cc quad spray injectors.
    The original injectors in the 348 are 184cc (which is what mine flowed under test recently) which is pretty light, no wonder they run so much fuel pressure.

What injectors did you change to?

21. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Thanks. Yes, we are Link dealers in the US. Some of our work has even been featured on their webpage. Great product for a good price.

I need to look again, but I think they are Ferrari 360 injectors. Something like 300cc. Not very big.

Aaron

22. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Okay, yes that makes sense re the injectors.....Yeah I guess if you were going to step things up you'd be replacing those, especially for an E85 tune...

You've got me thinking now, my friend is a turbo re-conditioner, he does a lot race car turbo work, I think turboing the 348 might just be the way to go, I think I might start doing some more research into this...I'm keeping my car so not really worried about keeping it original in that respect. Definite food for thought....

Have you got any video of your dyno runs? I'm always a sucker for a dyno run!!

23. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Nice, I'll be looking for a link around new years for a 348 project, will give you a hoot

24. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Agreed. Flex fuel is where it's at.