like a 6000 rpm rev limiter? | FerrariChat

like a 6000 rpm rev limiter?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ClydeM, Oct 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    '95 355. This is new. I normally shift 4-5K. lately I've tried to wind it out, but at 6,000 rpm (ish) it seems as if the car is hitting the rev limiter. same behavior. sputtering & loss of power. It's like something is cutting out. I haven't tried to push through it, but when I lift, life is fine. Up to 6K, life (seems) fine. No idiot lights. I haven't tried to pull any codes off the ECUs yet. Except for replacing cooling tank hoses, I haven't done anything to the car in 1-2K miles. Last fix was a rebuilt alternator. Just another odd note - after driving & the car is warm, if I blip the throttle for high revs while standing still, the alternator light may come on.
    ideas?

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I had a similar problem with my car, also a 95, a couple of years ago. Drove fine. But at 4500RPM it was like a rev limited set in. Ignition just seemed to cut out.

The problem was the signal from the 1-4 crank sensor. It was not the crank sensor but rather the connecting wire. One of the wires in the plug on the harness (sensor end of harness) had broken right at the crimp to the connector pin. Below 4500 RPM the signal was apparently strong enough for the car to run fine. But at 4500 and above, either due to vibration or just the higher frequency signal, the ignition would become intermittent. I made continuity checks and resistance checks and compared the 1-4 bank to the 5-8 bank. Everything check OK. The way I finally found it was to disconnect the plus from the sensor, pull back the rubber boot, and tug on each of the 3 wires. When I did that the insulation on one of the wires stretched like a piece of spaghetti indicating that the wire was broken internally. So, that's where I would look. Check connections, sensors and wires at the connectors.

blox79 likes this.
  3. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I saw a similiar thread int he archives suggesting the sensor. How hard are they to get to with engine in? I saw a pic in the other thread for their location.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It depends on the sensor (there are two on the F355 2.7). Both can be changed with the engine in, but one is rather difficult to get to.

The left bank (5~8) sensor is on the bottom and easier to get to.

5. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I had a weird missing issue. Every time I would go around a turn (right turn I think) the car would miss and skip, then get better. I decided to change the crank sensor. When I changed it, the connector was filled with antifreeze. I had a coolant leak that had filled the connector with water and it was shorting out.

Qavion likes this.
  6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I ordered two Speed/sensors Angolar[sic] speed Sensors 162916 back in Oct 2020 from GT Car Parts
    Decided with the warm NNJ weather, it was time to tackle this.
    Well, the lower one is cake. But the upper one between the A/C belt is near impossible.
    A 3/8" drive with allen wrench wont fit as it's too long. My longest 5mm allen wrench's handle is too short not coming below the frame for leverage/
    And how the heck would you get the screw started with the new sensor in place???
    I have to find a longer handled 5mm allen wrench.

On the bright side, a 1/4" socket I had dropped from the top of the engine back when I was replacing the Coolant tank return hoses decided to suddenly and mysteriously drop from the engine. When I lost that I spent a couple days searching for it
    relegating it to stuck between the fuel tanks. I'm guessing it was near the A/C compressor. I'm glad its back. Less sweating.

Qavion likes this.
  7. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I changed both the upper one was a real *****! Managed to do it with a small Allen key and my arm wedged up as high as I could get it, all blind too.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Better access to 1-4 sensor through the LH wheel well after removing the fender liner. Loosen the AC compressor belt and get the compressor out of the way.

9. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Thank you.

10. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Clyde.
    My 355 just developed your exact symptoms so I’m going to get the car on my hoist tomorrow and pull the sensors and check the wiring.

I’m curious to know if you changed the crank position sensors & did it fix the problem?

Thanks.

11. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I had this issue, changed the crank sensor and issue solved. Changed both while in there too.

Qavion and spaghetti_jet like this.
  12. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for the info — I just ordered two sensors and will fit them over the weekend.

13. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #13 spaghetti_jet, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    I pulled the crank position sensors last night and found one of them with the plug end of the wire completely “cooked”. The affected area was under the small aluminium retaining bar.

You can see in the picture where the heat has turned the plastic to brittle crumbs. When I took the retainer off it all crumbled away and exposed the oxidised bare wires.

still, the car is 26 years old, so not complaining. New sensors should arrive today…
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  14. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I only replaced the lower sensor. And yes, problem solved (assuming I dont jinx myself now).

15. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for the reply and I’m thinking positive for you so you won’t be jinxed..:):)

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Had same problem, was rpm sensor, cheap replacement with a KIA cross part. Search the forum it’s somewhere around.

hope this helps