430 - Need Your Help - Coolant System Just Blew Up! | FerrariChat

430 Need Your Help - Coolant System Just Blew Up!

Discussion in '360/430' started by NorCalGuy, Oct 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NorCalGuy

NorCalGuy Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    NorCalGuy
    Hello All - I am seeking your expertise & guidance regarding diagnosing a coolant system leak that happened today with my 07 F430.
    Let me preface by saying that the car has run flawless with Zero leaks of any kind. I pretty consistently drive the car once, maybe twice a week going to the gym or over to a friends house, totally about 20 miles per week. I always inspect engine bay to look for leaks any kind after each drive and I don't hot-rod the car or push it to the red-line. I never shift beyond 7500rpm - admittedly, I "granny" drive most of the time. In addition, I put it up on the rack 2x per year to look for any fluid leaks.

With that said, on the way back from the gym this morning, I pull away from the light, at about 3/4 throttle I shift from 2nd into 3rd at 6krpm, a second or two later, I hear a "whistle" like pitch, almost like a sucking noise-type pitch, looking to the rear-view mirror and I see a light stream (not just a steam/spray) but a consistent stream of coolant shoot up from the engine bay and hitting the deck-hatch glass. I'm like WTF!??? First thought is a hose from the coolant tank came loose. Pull over, pop the hatch, I see steam/coolant spraying up from somewhere under the three reservoirs tanks. Nurse the car home. Note - no warning or check engine light came on!.Let it cool. From up on top, all hoses are connected. I can't get down into the engine bay enough to check to see if any hose connected to the engine have come loose. Given the way this just all of a suddenly happened, I am guessing a hose and/or clamp has come loose. I am praying not a head gasket issue.

Seeking everyone's input for possible diagnosis. I did go out to Ricambi to look at the coolant system diagrams, however, their web-site has changed and I can't find a diagram that shows where the coolant hose(s) connect to the engine. Most likely will have to flat-bed the car into my dealer for fix.
    Your input is most appreciated
    NorCal Guy

2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Some of the lower hoses are known to fail. 2007 was the switch over point from laminated rubber to silicone.

3. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I have never seen a head gasket shoot a stream up...so I think you can be rest assured on that..must be a hse or something. Glad you didn't overheat the motor.

4. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Check your coolant level when it’s completely cold. The tank will probably be empty. Refill the cooling system with distilled water, with a vacuum device, then start the car and let it warm up while you look in the engine compartment with a flashlight. Hopefully you will find a split hose or loose clamp. You may even find the leak while you are trying to pull a vacuum on the system.

After you find the leak you’ll have to replace the coolant to a 50/50 mix.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    On my scud I had the coolant channel in the v of the engine, on top, let go. It dumped coolant all over. Not sure that it sprayed. Obviously that is only one kind of potential failure. Good luck. Always sucks.

6. ditpixs

ditpixs Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2019
    Nor Cal - Tracy
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Just had the hose under the intake manifold split. Sounds like this is a common issue with the age of these cars. Noticed my rear window was fogging up and then saw the steam in my side mirror.

FWIW, that was the most expensive hose I have ever bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg328 likes this.
  7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Check the coolant tank cap

SoftwareDrone and Apollo 11 like this.
  8. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Sorry that happened, same thing recently happened to me and it was the coolant hose right off the water pump. My guess would be #18 in the diagram above.

The way I found mine was to pour distilled water into the reservoir and see where it ran out. In my case, the hose had a large hole in it so it was very obvious which hose was bad. I'd recommend changing some of the other rubber hoses while in there as they all live in the same harsh conditions and are all 13 years old at this point.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    A $100 coolant pressure tester will reveal the leak without running the engine to temperature.

10. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Fill it up, bleed it, and briefly run it. You should be able to see where it's coming from rather quickly. It may even be apparent without starting the car. Obviously make sure it doesn't get hot.

11. NorCalGuy

NorCalGuy Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    NorCalGuy
    All - I want to thank everyone for your replies and how to go about finding the leak. The diagram posted was exactly what I was searching for on the Ricambi site. Agreed, based on where I saw the spray/leak coming from, #18 hose leading to the manifold may very well be the culprit. And good advise, I might as well change out old hoses for new.
    Very much appreciated to all!

armedferret likes this.
  12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    How are you going to get the air out ?

13. NorCalGuy

NorCalGuy Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    NorCalGuy
    All - posting this info as an FYI to help others where applicable regarding repair cost. I decided to take the 430 to my Indy repair shop. As expected is was the primary coolant hose going into the manifold. All told, cost $2900 to fix (parts (fluids/gaskets/clamps) & labor). Parts were only $660, remaining cost was labor. Indy repair shop explained that the labor was 11-12hrs as they had to pull the manifold to replace the hose. Labor seems a little excessive...but OK, not gonna lose sleep over it. Care runs like a champ and glad to have my "Prancing Pony" back in the garage. Of course, my wife is not happy that she has to park in the driveway again as both my F430 and Shelby GT500 have garage priority. :)
    As mentioned above by "ditpixs", YES!, this was the most expensive hose replacement I've ever experienced.

singletrack and ditpixs like this.
  14. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Glad all good but ouch on the costs for a few hoses, coolant, etc. Best part is no damage and back up & running.

15. bowserrh

bowserrh Rookie

Oct 16, 2007
    Poway, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Bowser
    My '07 F430 just had the same symptoms. Big whistle of escaping coolant, antifreeze puddling in the V of the engine, but no obvious source.
    Turned out the oil cooler gasket failed.
    Repaired at Ferrari of San Diego for $5636.95.
    Labor: $5200.00
    Parts: $436.95

NorCalGuy likes this.