2020 silly season | Page 7 | FerrariChat

2020 silly season

Discussion in 'F1' started by Mitch Alsup, Mar 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    It is especially a scandal that he does not replace Bottas next year..

stavura, Senna1994 and Bas like this.
  3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I certainly wish Sergio a spot on the grid next year.
    But given a choice between Russel and Latifi -- Russel gets the nod every time -- even if Latifi brings a fistfull of dollars with him.

4. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    It’s clear that if Russel loses his seat it won’t be about performance or potential. It’ll simple be about money. Sad.

5. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    This is crazy. Why not have Russell in the second Mercedes seat as a solid rear gunner to Hamilton? No knock on Bottas but he ain't cheap and certainly won't be the future of the team once Hamilton retires

jpalmito likes this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Not unlike Tracing Point firing Perez and retaining Lance to make room for Vettel?

Bas likes this.
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The best driver for Clone point Is Nico - brings points, direct feedback leads to car improvements and is healthy! He also has no contract and is reserve!

8. DF1

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Because Russel probably will be too much of a threat to Lewis. I don't think he'll last the season against him, mind you.

stavura likes this.
  10. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    You’re saying Lewis wouldn’t “last” the season against George Russell?

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No. I'm saying the opposite.

He'll be a much bigger fighter than Bottas but over the season Lewis will beat him.

12. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Seems a bit odd, Russell really had a chance at Bottas' seat but because Claire asked nicely he staid put? Something about the best drivers always ending up at the best seats :)

I have a hard time assessing his qualities and I feel he gets the same 'token-nice-guy'-treatment as Hulkenberg. No great achievements whatsoever, but always receives praise for results pay drivers get burned to the ground for. Latifi has a lot less talent and less experience, but has been quite close to him a couple of times this season. That being said I would like to see him in the second Mercedes, just to see if he can back up the expectations.

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Why should Mercedes dispense so quickly with Bottas?
    Bottas is a safe pair of hands at Mercedes: 9 wins, 53 podiums, 14 poles, 15 fastest lap.
    He is certainly not spent yet; his latest win was in Russia, a few weeks ago.
    Speculating on Russell is fine, but there is absolutely no proof that he would achieve more than Bottas.

DF1 and blkfxstc like this.
  14. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    No comment on Bottas, but Russell has yet to lose a qualifying session to a teammate in two years. We can argue about the quality of the teammates (Kubica and Latiffi), but to never have made a mistake alone in that span is saying something... I would like to see Russell get a real car under him and see what happens. Frankly the Renault seat would have made sense to me, or the Haas seat as well. I think he's high caliber but want another measuring stick beyond what we've seen already. Remember that he's flogged a dog of a Williams car into P2 a number of times.

15. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Think you meant Q2

16. DF1

Well said if Bottas fan or not. Nothing shows Bottas should leave and Russell is better!

william likes this.
  17. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Russell would be cheaper than Bottas and is still young enough to learn and improve. He is part of the future generation. Bottas is simply a ‘good enough’ driver who will never be top tier material. And... guess where Mercedes got Bottas from? That’s right. Williams. He lucked into the Mercedes seat because Rosberg unexpectedly retired after clinching the wdc. Had that not happened there is zero chance that Bottas would ever have got a merc seat.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  18. DF1

He was part of the Mercedes program. Mercedes took a risk and it has paid nicely with Bottas.

Risk with Russell who is unknown and to be honest does not appear any more capable than other drivers. Norris is the most impressive to me of Russell contemporaries.

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Russell may deserve a better seat than the one he has at Williams, but not at the expense of Bottas, IMO.

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    While reading this thread with interest, I came to the conclusion that if Lewis were to leave, one of the better driver match ups might just be Bottas and Russel.

21. DF1

The moment LH leaves, Max appears!

Wikdstrate and Thomas S. like this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Hamilton leaving could also mean Toto Wolff .
    There is no certainty that Mercedes would still be to top team then.

23. DF1

In technical aspects the team would continue well. Superb leadership and car\ PU etc.