348 power cutting in and out | FerrariChat

348 power cutting in and out

Discussion in '348/355' started by Mike31, Oct 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike31

Mike31 Rookie

Sep 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Beauvais
    out of nowhere and after only 100 miles of driving my new 348 I am experiencing power cut outs. The last week I have had my 348 stall in traffic 3 times. It starts right up again but when the power cuts out boy you have the foot to the floor just to get her to go at all. One day I drive 30 minutes to work with no issues at all then the return home trip the power cut out may occur 3-5 times. It makes no sense. It doesn't matter if the car is cold or hot it does it. Has anyone els had this happen? obviously it going back to Craig at Fast Cars Monday.

2. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Any lights on dash? Sounds like you are loosing a bank of cylinders.

3. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That sounds very similar to when I disconnected and reconnected my battery terminals...and forgot to tighten the clamp on the negative terminal. Check your electrical connections are all nice and tight :)

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No check engine lights? I assume the bulbs work? You can see them light up when you start the car.

Assuming battery is not loose, Id check the TB air screws. Have them balance the 2 banks air screws and set it according to back and idle.
    The cars can stall with ac on if they are far apart or too restrictive.

Then id replace the ignition modules and coils and cam position sensor.

Good luck.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Mike31

Mike31 Rookie

Sep 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Beauvais
    Craig at fast cars told the same thing I’m losing a bank of cylinders check for lights but I never get any lights. When it was stalling I got two lights side-by-side but I couldn’t read what they said it too bright inside the car

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    When you drive the check engine lights will stay on if you have an engine code they just say one to four and five to eight for the respective Banks. you would have to pull the codes from the ECU but it sounds like you don't have any codes it sounds like you're just losing power in the banks are dropping.

does it happen when you're slowing down to a stop or does it just happen while you're driving at 30 40 mph what not?

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If the problem is intermittent the light may go out but the code will still be stored. The problem could be a lot of things a bad MAF can have similar symptoms.

8. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Have you reconnected the battery, then left to idle without touching anything , until the fans kick in?

9. Mike31

Mike31 Rookie

Sep 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Beauvais
    It happens all the time whether it’s hot or cold or whether you’re at idle or going 100 miles an hour. I went over to see Craig at fast cars they did some diagnostic and confirmed it’s those bank ecc units. He’s ordering the parts for me and hopefully I’ll get back on the road

10. Mike31

Mike31 Rookie

Sep 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Beauvais
    Exactly what you’re saying is what’s happening I don’t see the lights but it’s stored and they told me at fast cars I have to replace those Units. Even though the lights are not on which confused me at first

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Units??? Both? Are you sure that's what they said? These units don't normally fail at the same time unless you have a serious power issue.

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    bank ecc units, do you mean ECU units?

13. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I haven't confirmed them yet only my suspicion. I also doubt both have failed.

14. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC