First Ferrari - First 308QV - What did I do? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

First Ferrari - First 308QV - What did I do?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Big Swole, Jul 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    You need the "quick release" roof that appears in one of the Magnum episodes (or maybe in the intros, I can't remember) where he just shoves the roof back! Maybe there was a factory "rear position" roof option that was a special order! :rolleyes:

2. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David

LOL. Yes, I remember that scene. He just lifted it and pushed it back and it disappeared off the back miraculously!! lol

Wished it was that easy!! lol.

3. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Did another 175+ miles yesterday!!

Few vids of a few different angles.

Newman likes this.
  4. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Few pics from Sundays 175+ miles drive

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Mr. Newman,

You are the man!!!!

Thanks for such an awesome passion and build. I drove it again today for a bit.

Jakuzzi, rob and GordonC like this.
  6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I thought the USA versions had 1911s.

308inSD likes this.
  7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.

Nice loop! Holler next time you go!

sjd

Big Swole likes this.
  8. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Glock all the way for me!! I worked for Glock for 9 years, shoot competitively for them on the original "Team Glock" USPSA / IPSC team as a Master Class shooter. Been shooting them and Instructing with them for 30 years now.

Shoot me your number. Would love to meet up.

9. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Well as my luck would have it. The 308 has developed another coolant leak...lol.

What is it with me and this car and coolant...lol

Seems the radiator (New in 2014 I think according to Crowndog) has a leak

I'm hoping to get it to Wade at Merlin and fingers crossed that it can be repair like he did on the hard pipe he fixed for me.

This thing drives amazing and is a blast, but these two coolant issues has put a damper on things for me a bit.

10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    That's discouraging! Makes one wonder about replacement radiators if it's actually the rad as opposed to a hose/clamp, etc. Unless it was punctured by road debris or whatever, six years old and leaking is abysmal quality... :(

11. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David

You have a good point about the road debris or something. Who knows what the cause is, but I certainly don't want to assume it's just "bad quality". It's almost 6-7 years old. Stuff happens. It just sucks it happened to me. lol

Just like the hard pipe I had repaired. It'd been rubbing for a while, it just happen to finally go all the way through once I got the car. Oh well. I'm still blessed to have such an awesome restoration / Restomod.

I think a quick weld, and it'll be back out on the road. Fingers crossed.

12. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    So it has a leak where the cross flow tubes meet the side tank. Seems there's a debate on how to fix these. Does anyone have any recommendations on this??

Wade says it can't be repaired by welding. Can an all aluminum radiator be "Brazed" or the other option is Apoxy!!

Apoxy option seems to be debatable for permanent fix or not. Some say yes.

Any help would be appreciated...

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Since OEM radiators can last "for the life of the car," if the cooling system is occasionally drained/refilled, I'd say that seven years is pretty poor quality! ;) I never had to replace a radiator on any car I have ever owned and the rad on my 328 is original/ 31 years old with no leaks... OK, with that (unhelpful) comment out of the way...;)

You could try some JB Weld - standard formula - to fix the leak. It will easily hold as far as temp/pressure is concerned but you need to ensure that you clean all the coolant residue off the area that will have the JB weld applied to get a good, solid bond. The might be difficult with the location of the leak. But heck, if it doesn't work...well, you haven't lost anything.

14. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David

I don't think Wade could get to the area for the JB fix. After research, it seems the Epoxy option is the only real one that MIGHT be a decent fix.

Starting at around $125.00.... Or do I just suck it up and buy a new one.

Epoxy seems like it would be a decent option, if done right.

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    For my ten cents - I'd do a new NFF radiator... given that 308's are marginal on cooling at best ... in the summer to drive it and have fun and not be eyeing the coolant all the time ... bigger better radiator seems the way to go... Wade knows all the cooling tricks on the 308... Id' follow his advice.

16. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David

This car cooled great and never has any heat issues, even in the summer sitting in traffic.

I did some research and found a place here that specializes in doing the Epoxy for radiators and Charge air coolers too. He assured me it's a permanent fix and will certainly hold the pressures of a coolant system. I'm giving it a shot. They'll pressure test it and so will Wade I'm sure. Other than not being able to warranty it, Wade seemed to think it was a decent idea.

steved033 likes this.
  17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    cool -literally! My QV was marginal at best in Atlanta traffic. finally I had it totally rebuilt and they fitted in 3 new rows of cooling matrix.. which did help along with a re done water pump impeller for a 328.. a bit more flow at idle. before that Mine would routinely go up to 200 or more until you started to move but would be between 195 and 220 mark.... I would watch that more than the speedometer. when on the move it would usually settle down to 195 or the notch to the left. for me I could never enjoy the car while worrying about overheating.

the 328 never did that ... it was rock solid temp wise with it just before the 195 mark.

Big Swole likes this.
  18. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David

Before the leak, this 308 never went above 195 even sitting in traffic.
    Looking forward to getting it fixed and back on the road!!!

19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    you have a good car!

Big Swole likes this.
  20. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    I put a 46 min. vid together of ALL the photos I have from the Build of this car back in 2012 - 2013. Shows how much work went into this car.

Crowndog and BOKE like this.
  21. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Got the 308 back home and it's running / cooling awesome now! :)

Wade / Merlin did an awesome job on the repair. The radiator was repaired Great also!! They epoxied every joint to make sure I have no future issues.

GordonC likes this.
  22. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    I needed a drive today but since I've played with the TTS and new tune lately, I decided to take the ol' Ferrari today. Picked up a friend and took him with me. He enjoyed it and couldn't believe how well this car handles.

I did just under 250 Miles today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Milkshaker0007 and Albert-LP like this.
  23. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
  24. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    I should have replied to you earlier. We bought virtually the same car at the same time. Mine was built in November 1984. I am a retired guy who personally restores cars as a hobby. After I finished my 1967 Series 1 E-type, I wanted something different. (My modern sports car is a 2013 911 C4S.) So I have been trying to educate myself on Ferraris after a long history with British machinery, although, on the two wheeled side, my favorite motorcycle was a 1972 Ducati 750 GT. After rebuilding the suspension last winter and generally cleaning up the car, I have replaced the exhaust and am redoing the fuel system this year. I love the Tigers cap.
    Although I have lived in New York since 1975, I was born and raised in Detroit and went to many Tiger games as a kid back in the Kaline era.

Big Swole likes this.
  25. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Thank you! I just had to buy the cap to pay tribute to Magnum P.I.
    He always wore it so that's what I wear when I drive it. :)

Rosey and Saabguy like this.