430 - 430 Foggy Cabin Glass Fix | FerrariChat

430 430 Foggy Cabin Glass Fix

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bob in Texas, Oct 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Some 430's suffer from a foggy cabin window - the one between the cockpit and engine compartment on coupe's. The moisture leaves staining between 2 glass panels. In my case it's pretty severe.

I've cut and pasted this from a conversation I had with JR Lemans on Facebook on Oct 20, 2020. JR just completed an install of a replacement cabin window.

Step 1 is you have to remove all of the engine compartment panels carbon fiber and the rear cabin leather engine panels in addition to the 17 mm bolt holding the seat belt in to access the back leather panels so the glass is in view.

Step 2 you have to use an angled razor blade of some sort or a wire were you can cut the urethane from the glass. You will notice as you go around it'll start to loosen and will push forward into the engine compartment just be careful have someone on the other side with suction cups on the glass or be ready to catch it. You can reuse the rubber shroud that surrounds the glass to put on the new glass.

Step 3 once you have the glass out you have to clean up with the surface area and make sure it's relatively smooth it doesn't have to be perfect because the primerless 3M urethane or Dupont will it adhere very well to the used glass. I would definitely recommend 360 Berlinetta glass because it was thicker a little stronger heavier and it didn't suffer the same fate as the 430 glass supplier of 05 to 09. Perfect reason why newer is not always better.

Step 4 apply the DuPont primerless urethane evenly on the edges of the old glass. Then with two suction cups one person on each side just press it in to the body and hold it. Double check to make sure you got a good seal and then don't move anything it takes about eight hours to cure and 24 to 48 hours to completely cure before you can safely drive the vehicle.

Final step this is the primerless urethane adhesive you're going to want to use you can pick it up at any glass supplier locally just be careful not to get it on anything because it's very very sticky.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

SingleClutch likes this.
  2. Dbops618

Dbops618 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2017
    florida
    Full Name:
    D. Hernandez
    i had never heard of this issue when i spent months researching the 430

3. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    My rear window was replaced by the previous owner for this issue. Was done by an Indy.

4. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not sure it affects every 430, matter of fact I don't think it does. But the window issue pops up every now and then.

5. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I wish he gave more details on the cutting of the urethane

Step 2 you have to use an angled razor blade of some sort or a wire were you can cut the urethane from the glass. You will notice as you go around it'll start to loosen and will push forward into the engine compartment just be careful have someone on the other side with suction cups on the glass or be ready to catch it. You can reuse the rubber shroud that surrounds the glass to put on the new glass.

I'm not really on Facebook so could you ask him if he cut the window out from the inside and how was he careful not to cut the seal on the engine compartment side?

6. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    It affects my 2007 assembly number 69244. I tought it was water intrusion after futilely attempting to wipe off the vertical streaks from inside and outside. I concluded some adhesive had run during assembly. This is good to know and one thing I WILL pay the Somali Pirates (Ferrari of Newport Beach) to fix.

Thanks for the information.

Ray

SingleClutch and armedferret like this.