Project-Scuderia | Page 28 | FerrariChat

Project-Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by RBM, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    If you've never used a tool, how do you know you don't like it? I have six different sets of allen head drivers, including traditional allen keys, electric drivers, ratchet wrenches, screw/nut drivers, T-bars, and extended T-bars with wobble heads. Each has a defined purpose, and I've had cause to use all of them. My favorite set is the extended T-bar set. The T-bar helps apply just the right amount of torque, and the extended shaft and wobble head gets at all the hard to reach places.

2. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    The front hood hinges have two adjustment locations on each. There is adjustability in the hood mounting points, and in the body mounting points. The hinges had to be removed from the body, and some body filler cleaned up on the hinges and the body, in order to regain the play in the attachment points. A razor scraper works well here. More new Ti fasteners on the cowl below the windshield. The black hose feeds the windshield washers from the pump.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    The front hood hinges are two of the very few steel parts on the entire car. They are quite heavy too, making them good candidates for being replaced by Titanium hinges in some future upgrade phase. They tell a good story about how the car is painted. The hinges are attached to the car in primer gray, and body filler is applied. The assembled car is then painted in its exterior color. Then interior sections (trunk, door jambs, engine bay) are painted black. The color sprayer does a better coverage job than the black trim sprayer.

4. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    This is the underside of the hinges, that attach to the hood. I removed the hinges to remove the over-application of body filler, so I took the opportunity to re-paint the hinges in satin black, making sure to get full coverage. Much easier when you have time for multiple coats at multiple angles.

singletrack and clean512 like this.
  5. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    singletrack, duck.co.za and day355 like this.
  6. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    singletrack likes this.
  7. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  8. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    RBM is a rare bird. Give him a totally dismantled f-care and he will put it back together better than factory. I have great awe and respect for individuals who can do this. Years ago I tore apart my 1.8Liter VW(Audi) engine and the number of specialty tools required for that relatively simple job makes me wonder what an enormous tool set RMB must have. Anxiously awaiting the next update on this.

alum04org, day355 and mwstewart like this.
  9. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Oh yeah, over 3,000 tools collected over 30 years, starting with almost every Craftsman tool in the catalog, and then adding Snap-On tools and other brand/model specialty tools as needed.

10. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Measuring the logo dimensions and determining the center point. The new logo is not an OEM metal logo that bolts on. This logo is vinyl with a plastic overlay and an adhesive backing. Less weight, no drilling, and no concern for badge thieves.

11. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    After measuring the hood to determine the placement that matches the OEM hood, I put down blue tape to mark a corner and sides where the emblem goes. Alignment of the tape is key to guide placement of the emblem square with the hood. Nobody wants to see a crooked hood emblem!

armedferret likes this.
  12. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    I applied the emblem by peeling back a corner of the backing, and placing the emblem using the tape guides. Once placement was right, I pulled the rest of the backing out from under the emblem.

13. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  14. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    After buying several additional parts and hardware, and many more hours of fabrication and prep work, the new composite hood is finally "bolt-on" ready. But, of course, there is something I must do before installing it....

Freddan likes this.
  15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

its more accurate to do calculation work. Carry the hood with you and stand on the scale. Then measure your own weight.
    do the minus.

efg2014 likes this.
  16. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    That's not a bathroom scale. It's a 30 kg postage scale, accurate to +/- 20 grams. See post #3 in this thread for an explanation.

17. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    The new composite hood, all trimmed out, weighed in at 5.970 kg/13.16 lb. The weight savings over the OEM aluminum hood with similar trim is 0.890 kg/1.97 lb. The mass reduction was 15.0% of the stock hood.

18. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    The finished hood installed on the car. Once the hinges were removed, cleaned, and freed up to move within their tolerances, the hood install went quickly and smoothly. There was no trimming or filling of the hood needed to fit and match the panel gaps. The weave and the surface finish are flawless to the naked eye. Going over the hood with a glove, there were no surface imperfections.

Overall, I would give the product a 10 for finish quality, a 10 for fit, a 5 for design, and a 3 for materials. The manufacturer needs to design the underside panel for 360 and 430 applications, and it should be manufactured exclusively with CF and Kevlar, not fiberglass.

armedferret, Freddan and Performify like this.
  19. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It's on! It could do with a cut, some adhesion promotor, and a coat of 2k clear.

20. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    looking good!

Company in italy selling theese in full carbon fiber. would fit your car perfect with all exposed carbon and also save some wheight.

21. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    The Scud has a new stablemate, also from Italy. It was in need of some TLC, so it has been absorbing my attention lately. I was thinking about having a contest to see who could be the first to guess the make and model and color of the car under the cover, but ... well, it seems too easy.

Performify, armedferret and mwstewart like this.
  22. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    The garage needed cleaning, and the steeds needed to stretch their legs. Winter has set in on the Big Island, which means cooler weather (not cold by any means) and lots of rain. We got an 8-hour window of grey skies but no rain, so out they went. After an extended work period on the Scud, a shake-down cruise is in order.

23. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    View attachment 3037883

I really like the look of the carbon decklid on yours. Ties into the rest of the carbon and continues on the lines or the rear plexiglass.

If mine didn’t have the factory stripes I would probably go the same route.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Yes, the carbon panels only work with a few light colors, notably white and yellow. And they definitely don't work with striped cars.

25. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Both cars have Ferrari-sourced V8 engines. The 2014+ QP VI has a detuned twin turbo 3.8L V8 from the 488, making 523 HP and 525 TQ. Since these cars are now sub $30K, they could be great donor cars for fully-dressed Ferrari motors to anyone looking to revitalize their 360.

armedferret likes this.