New 360 6 spd question | FerrariChat

New 360 6 spd question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gary(SF), Mar 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    My brand-new 360 is a b*tch to get into 2nd gear when it's cold first thing in the morning - and I'm talking San Francisco cold (maybe low 40's) not Minnesota cold. I actually have to double-clutch upshift to get into 2nd at all the first few shifts, otherwise it just takes too much effort for comfort. When it's warm it's quite slick, no problems at all. Anyone else experience this?

Gary

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Does anyone experience this? Dude, EVERYONE with a mid engine Ferrari experiences this. Just do 1-3 shifts until the car is warm. Don't force it.

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Thanks for the tip, should have thought of that.

Gary

4. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    My F1 makes it into second and I have no way to bypass it to third when cold. How does the F1 make the shift? Does it double-clutch, too?

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    IIRC, the F1 doesn't have the same problem. I don't remember why, though. Maybe someone else, knows.

6. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

The F1 determines the pressure needed and the slippage required for the shift.

7. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

You know I heard the same from my dealer before I get my 360, but it didn't happen to me. How wierd is that.

Good Luck man!

JIMMY
    04/360/6-SPEED/Red/Blk

8. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    How about the "squeak" shifting from 2nd to 3rd? Am I shifting wrong or is there a lubricant needed on the gate?

Matt

9. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA

Simply tug the UP paddle two times quickly instead of just once.

But I have also noticed that the F1 can make the 1-2 shift much more smoothly when cold than the 6-speed.

10. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Well, you're in LA, so you probably don't even see 40's. Maybe that's the difference. Or maybe after a few thousand miles it gets better?? Or did you get a new car also, can't remember now.

Gary

11. storminnormin

storminnormin Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    Gary, my 360 has 20k miles on it and has trouble getting into 2nd cold. Have to do a 1-3 shift until it warms up. The mechanic at FoSF says this is not uncommon.
    BTW, are you going to Sears Point for the Challenge race?
    Norm

12. raygr

raygr Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Ray
    My 360 6sp also is hard to shift into 2nd when cold. I just skip to 3rd. I was told this is typical.

I believe the F1 gets around this because it rev-matches the engine when it shifts. You can do that manually with the 6sp too. (i.e. "double-clutch")

-Ray

13. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    my 02 6speed spider has 1k miles on it and in 40s temp i have not had any problems 1-2 shift...or any other shift..in fact the 6speed is great!

14. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Yup, I'll be at FoSF at 0830 on the 21st.

Gary

15. cpdred

cpdred Rookie

Mar 1, 2004
    uk
    Full Name:
    craig
    If you speak to your dealer there are some measurements for the gear shift cables and also on earlier cars modified cable ends to stop the baulking between 1st and 2nd gear done loads of them hope this helps