308 Targa roof panel and extra inserts | FerrariChat

308 Targa roof panel and extra inserts

Discussion in '308/328' started by built2grind, Oct 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Hey Guys

I listed a RED rosso corsa painted 308 Targa roof panel and an extra set of early targa roof panel interior inserts for sale in the classifieds. I haven't seen any interest over there, wasn't sure if anyone here in the 308/328 group was looking for one or even knew it was listed. PM me if interested, its time to move this stuff out of the shop.

Andrew

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know it’s for sale :)

3. built2grind

Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Come on Mike, I know you need another one. LOL

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What are the fitment differences? Would it be possible for someone with nerve and a hefty set of tools to modify it to fit a QV?

5. built2grind

Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Absolutely. I was going to modify myself but later found a roof panel from a 2v car that fits perfectly. This particular roof panel is from a carb car, it was on a ‘78 to be exact. The front underside corners have more material where it meets the windshield/door wing window tip and targa roof. Alittle grinding and some filler and it should drop right in.

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Wait, what? I had no idea the roof panel changed over the run of the car. I assumed the last 328 panel would fit the first GTS. Does this mean the windshield header also changed over the run of the body?

7. built2grind

Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Not exactly sure what happened and when during the lineup. If I make it out to my shop this weekend I’ll take some pics of my factory QV roof corners, the 2v roof corners I had painted rosso corsa, and the carb version corners I’m listing for sale. Luckily I have all 3 versions for comparison.

Stay tuned

8. built2grind

Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Ok guys, here's a couple pics for you to consider and hopefully answer some questions or raise more about the 308 Targa roof panel. I was able to get pics of the front inside corners where the guide pins insert for comparison. The first pics are of my factory original QV roof corner '83 -'85, followed by the 2Valve corners '80-'82, and then the early carb car '77-'79. You'll notice the last pics of the '77-'79 carb car versions there is more fiberglass material or a thicker panel at the corners, this prohibits proper fitment on my '84 QV. It will be interesting to see if there are variants within the years I described above as well. Mind you the drip rails and weatherstripping are NOT installed on my newly painted roof panel.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. built2grind

Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
  10. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Andrew,
    How well does an 80+ 2V/QV roof panel fit on a carb car? I can see where you'd have collision trying to put the carb panel on a later model, but it seems like a later panel could fit on the carb cars. The only part that isn't clear is how the side window weather stripping on a later panel would interface with the earlier door and windshield frame -- does it leave a gap?

11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jason, Andrew explained and showed us the difference between the early and the late QV targa top and why it can’t be interchange without modifying it. below you can see the difference from the pic that Andrew posted. I believe the side weather stripping on the side f the targa top are the same.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
  13. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Mike,
    Yup...I understood that the early targa top has extra material in the corner that collides with a later car (which was Andrew's point in thread #5).

My question was whether a later targa top can fit on an earlier car (the opposite of what Andrew was originally trying to do). Since the later top has less material in the very corner, it shouldn't collide with the window frame of an earlier car. However, there could be other collision or fitment issues--hence my question. One thing that appears different from the pictures is that the weather stripping on the earlier top appears to extend further than it does on the later top--hence the second part of my question.

14. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Gosh I'm tempted but I have an '83 so I don't think a painted targa would integrate as well as on an 84/85 because the A-pillars frame and forward part of the targa bridge are black. Otherwise I'd probably go for it. I think the modifications would be fairly easy.

15. built2grind

Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Take a look at the 288 GTO, red roof black windshield pillars. Awesome

16. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    Hi ANDREW,
    I sent you a PM, but no response yet. Are your pieces still available?
    Bill

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE

Attached Files:

18. built2grind

Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    PM sent

19. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    Thank you.

20. built2grind

Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Update, the targa roof panel has been SOLD, I still have the extra set of interior roof panel insert/liners if anyone is interested.

miketuason likes this.