599 GTO 60ms shifts on 2007, 2008+ 599 GTB & HGTE cars with 85ms / 100ms shifts | FerrariChat

599 GTO 60ms shifts on 2007, 2008+ 599 GTB & HGTE cars with 85ms / 100ms shifts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Le00ns, Oct 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you think the MC stradale Actautor + TCU can result in 599gto 60ms shifts?

Poll closed Jan 19, 2021.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Dont know but make it happen!!!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Le00ns

Le00ns Rookie

Oct 21, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Leon Chan
    Hi All,
    I recently acquired an 07 599 GTB and have read a lot about the ECU, TCU differences between the 07 and 08+ & GTO cars.

Any experts can share some insight?

1) I know the 2007 had different ECU & TCU (an earlier version of the Motronics ECU vs a newer Motronics ECU in the 2008+ cars meaning they cannot get HGTE Superfast 2 speedshifts.

Are there anything else other than the ECU and TCU that are different? I read that the 08+ cars have different wiring with an extra clutch pressure sensor and different wiring not in the 07 cars. Is this correct?

Has anyone tried swapping the 07 ECU + TCUs to the newer one to get the upgraded software or is there the issue of missing clutch pressure sensors on the 2007 models?

2) whilst I was doing research in this area, I realised that my Maserati GT MC Stradale actually got the 599 GTO software for 60ms MC Shift speeds. Which brings me to my next question, rather than the HGTE TCU, could one use the MC Stradale TCU to get 60ms shifts instead of the 85ms shifts on the 599 with HGTE pack. I can easily enough try my MC stradale TCU but thought Id ask around first to see if anyone had already tried. I know the MC stradale has a different F1 actuator to the GT MC-shift and the MC stradale Power unit is the same as the one on the 599 GTO. I am hoping someone has tried this already and can confirm before I go off and try randomly connecting things.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Early 599s used Motronic 7.1.1 while later ones from around late CY2007, including the HGTE and GTO, used Motronic 7.3.2. In general, ECUs for 7.3.2 are not compatible with 7.1.1. No clue what Maserati used on their cars.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Le00ns

Le00ns Rookie

Oct 21, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Leon Chan
    Hi Tazandjan,

If i got my hands on the motronics 7.3.2 and replaced the 7.1.1 ecu with it, then it should accept the HGTE TCU?

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, then some of your other ECUs would not work. All the ECUs have to be compatible with 7.3.2 and I do not know which ones would be compatible and which ones ones would not be.

5. Le00ns

Le00ns Rookie

Oct 21, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Leon Chan
    Hi Terry, if i managed to pick up all the various ECUs and TCUs on a 2008+ wreck do you think I could get around the issue you speak of?
    Or do you believe there is still hardware differences on the 2006/07 599s?

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I have no clue. Not as simple as it sounds. I doubt even Ferrari can answer that question.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Sounds like a difficult but really interesting experiment. I hope you keep us posted on what you learn.

8. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I would recommend checking with @360trev he is an expert in Ferrari CSU and TCU and has made many things work that were not "supposed" to work.

9. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Btw here is another piece of information that might be of interest to you. Jim Glickenhaus, when he used to post here back in the day, had shared that he could lower the shift times of his P4/5 from the standard 150 ms shift time of the Enzo to under 100ms but doing so was hard on the clutch/components.
    Given that the 599 had a beefier twin plate clutch from the get go and no apparent update was made to the clutch for the GTO, I am guessing this should be doable without harmful effects. It might not be as simple as replacing ECUs/TCUs and will probably require special programming by an expert like @360trev but it should be doable is my guess. Ferrari loves to save features for its special editions and backward upgrades (even if possible) is a no no in official Ferrari land.

10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    something to consider is the 430 SCUD also has the superfast2 transmission shifter. they are the only two Ferraris that I am aware of that have this upgrade and they both have similar non super fast models .. maybe a study of the differences between and 599 vs 599GTO shifter compared to the 430 and 430 scud should show common differences maybe just a SWIG.......