How would you order a GT4? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How would you order a GT4?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Texas Forever, Sep 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    One last change under the wire, I got the 18-way seats.

IloveGT, LARRYH and ryalex like this.
  2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I hope your garage has a high roof. Otherwise when you open the rear hatch, it looks like the wing is going to be pretty darn high!

Are they only making a limited number of GT4s? Is that why it's hard to order one? I know people order regular Caymans all the time with no options-- it does require a special order (few if any dealers will inventory a car like that), but it's very common.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There are a ton of new GT4s for sale on Autotrader

4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It's hard for the dealers to get a build allocation. When they do, they spec it up to close to $130K.

of2worlds, LARRYH and donv like this.
  5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I realize I'm slightly overpaying by going through a dealer. But, at 68, this is my forever car. I doubt I'll ever order new again. From what I can tell, a Cayman is the best sports car on the market. The Alfa 4C is cool, but at 6'2," I don't fit. Plus, I can't get a stick, and who knows how long Alfa will be around?

And, a Cayman GT4 is the best of the Caymans. 400 hp, 6 speed stick, 6 cylinders. Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose.

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wing doesn't bother me. I actually like it. Can't say the same about some past Porsche wings, like the whale tail, ugh. I also like it being fixed. One less thing to break.

7. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think this is awesome!

My brother has a 4C, and I've driven it a fair amount (including on the track). While I haven't driven a GT4, I can tell you that I much prefer my 981 Cayman S. The 4C is fun, and arguably might be better on the track (although possibly not when compared to the GT4), but in terms of every day driving the Cayman is just so much more pleasant. You can see out of the Cayman, you can understand the dash (the dash on the 4C is an ergonomic and functional mess), it's easier to get in and out, and it just in general has a more solid feeling.

To your point about the GT4 being the best of the Caymans, I would further argue that the 6-cylinder Caymans are the best of Porsche. Wonderful, highly usable cars that give no quarter in terms of performance and yet you can still drive to the market. Truly the spirit of Porsche, and what I love about the brand and the cars.

8. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    SC with a manual really doesn't do much of anything. I had it on my 997 and all it did was make the throttle pedal more sensitive. The track timing stuff wasn't worth much. Sure, I'd play with it on the way to work, but that's about it.

I say simple is the way to go on this car. And yellow is a fantastic color!

9. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    GT4 borrows suspension upgrades from the GT3 and other race-oriented Porsches, so the handling is sharper than the GTS, which is more street-oriented.

IloveGT and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Cool company car.....

11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Does the gt4/cayman have more room than the boxster/spider? Because at 6’1” I felt too tight in the boxster...

you have driven one? And fit?

Robb

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I will second the smoking package , the leather wrapped steering column (looks real good) , 18 way seats, and the alum foot rests and pedals .. other than the very nice.. this will be a great car ..
    your spec looks nice .. that's my problem I always end up adding a ton of stuff I don't need...
    I my onion there is no better car built that a PORSCHE....

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    im happy that you're treating yourself!

One of my best friends told me yesterday he wants the new Lexus LC convertible. He's a PI lawyer in his early 50s, finally empty nester. He was asking me if i thought he should pick one of the few on the market at msrp or wait for a deal. I said 'youre not getting any younger!' We laughed and i explained if you really want it do it now and get as many days behind the wheel as you can. Like I said in the my crash thread, I decided that i wanted to replace my car as quickly as possible because I want to drive a Ferrari everyday.

of2worlds and Texas Forever like this.
  15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yes, np problem.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. Tamaren

Tamaren Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Tempe, AZ, Westcliffe, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Wesley K.
    Honestly a good spec for the GT4. I've always been a fan of the GT4 over the GT3. For your purpose the Leather on the steering wheel and shift boot is a must. Carbon buckets for a race car are great, but I can't get in and out of them- 18 ways are actually comfortable.

Personally with a speed yellow car, yellow gauges and seat belts are a nice touch. I would also do carbon trim instead of aluminum because I'm not a huge fan of the aluminum trim, although when you take delivery you can always buy a second set of trim- and I think you have to be at Premium Package Plus before you get carbon trim anyway.

Sport Chrono is an expensive clock in the dash but also great for resale, as well as it breaks up the expanse of leather in a dash. I'm a fan, but I also will be the first to admit it's more of a show piece than a useful feature, on or off track.

Final thing- Make sure your spec comes with the heated multifunction steering wheel. It was an option a few years back, but they may of made it standard. Either way, if you don't order the gauge control is tossed on a stick below the turn signal, and is honestly terrible in that configuration.

IloveGT and Texas Forever like this.
  17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I love this quote from the Car & Driver first look at the Cayman GTS (equally applicable to the GT4):

of2worlds and Texas Forever like this.
  18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm 6'4" and I have no problems in my 981 Cayman, even with a helmet. I have the manual sport seats.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    There were several Gt4s at the Glenn last week.
    One had some suspesion lowering and was running big slicks. Drivers of course count, but that Gt4 was quicker than everyhting except the Gt3 Cup cars.
    The Glenn is a fast track, and the ability of the Gt4 to maintain and sustain speed was truly impressive. Balanced handling, relatively low weight, good aero, brakes that dont fade, good power all work together for a superior vehicle..

20. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    I was never really interested in Porsche until I drove a 2016 GT4. Almost everything about that car was right; from the bucket seats, to the undeniably precise manual gearbox, to the razor sharp handling. Hell, even the downshift auto blip in sport mode is cool. The only thing it really lacked was just that extra push needed in the cars power band. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a quick car but not fast. And while the handling is extremeIy precise, there were moments when I longed for a bit more power. I haven’t driven the newer 414hp model, but from the sounds of it, that extra bit of power has really completed the GT4. I don’t really think you can make a mistake if your ordering this car. Congratulations and enjoy in good health.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I didn't do pccb on last gt4 either.

I saw a deep blue 718 gt4 few days ago, and the itch starts. I know the gear ratio is the as long as the last gen gt4, but I heard the exhaust note now is worse. Is that true?

22. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    correct.

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Yep, the exhaust note is not nearly as good as the previous model. Perhaps an aftermarket system would help.

24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I just realized that there are quite a few company that came up the exhaust removing the gpf alone. sounds good after. My 718 spyder which is essentially a gt4 without roof is coming in Jan with pdk. I haven't been excited for a while now.

If one can remove the gpf alone for the Pista, I may be game....oh well.

25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    From my understanding there is NO GPF on the USA 992. Instead they use a baffle to mimic the back pressure of the Euro GPF equipped cars. Is it the same arrangement for USA version Cayman models? That would explain perhaps the different exhaust sound vs the 2016.