365 GTC 4 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

365 GTC 4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by acd683, Nov 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    There were some mousehair which were of course full black!
    Good to see in one of the prototipo press shots.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bowzer, ivo73, John Vardanian and 5 others like this.
  2. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Excellent.
    sort of puts that whole subject to rest

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    WOW, a GTC registered in GB, LHD in CH ;)

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    16261, Verde Medio Nyjinski (Italver), owned by a managing director of Credit Suisse.
    Color name comes from a Canadian race horse born 1967.

Marcel Massini

Bowzer, ivo73, readplays and 3 others like this.
  5. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Amazing color

readplays likes this.
  6. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    I think the mouse hair was never truly black when new, always a darker grey when new, never really black. I bought some of these cars with the mouse hair dash new and none were black. Daytona, Dino, GTC4 had them along with early Lambo cars. Talk to dealers who sold them, not black.
    The texture and pattern were easily seen but black was never the color.
    The picture posted showing black had to be touched up or not accurate shown in black in my view.
    Maybe Marcel can verify. I am not an expert, but saw them when new, never black.
    John

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    not to mention that protype also has a wood steering wheel. so that mousehair may have been not carried over to production cars.

8. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The Prototipo was just a new car on the pic, of course there was no touch up made at the moment...

But i always remembered production cars as dark grey but only because i didn‘t saw ever a really fresh from factory 60/70s car.
    Will check all pics if i find any pic from production.

But if you saw them new, you answered the question...

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #110 TTR, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Gentlemen, I think some of you are engaged in relative “splitting-the-hairs”, even if those of mouses, with this black vs. dark gray disagreement.

Although never at the factory or when cars were still brand new, having closely/personally worked on several 365 GTB/4 dash panels and their components or sections, including disassembling, removing, re-dying, repairing, replacing, re-assembling/-installing, etc, I would say calling the “mouse fur/-hair” color black or dark gray are equally close enough to adequately describe it.

Obviously now, +/-50 years later, best places to assess the material construction and its color are usually in the back or underneath and preferably areas which presumably(?) have never been disassembled/touched since the car was assembled new and has had minimal exposure to lighting and other natural elements.

And still, like with everything else in life, just 5 decades of natural aging can affect the chemical composition, including color dyes used in these types of synthetic materials.

P.S. I might’ve mentioned this before but several decades ago I discovered/realized something which even lead me to paraphrase an old saying “A picture/photograph can LIE* more than thousand words”

*Or if that sounds too harsh, use of “misinform”/“misinterpret”will also be sufficient.

Having worked on hundreds of vintage cars, including Ferraris, in past 4 decades and older (experienced ?) I get, less likely I am to make any kinds of “absolute” claims on their original construction, etc.

Heck, just yesterday I discovered (& photo documented) yet another almost shocking detail about the quality (or lack there of ?) on a Daytona engine and I’d be almost willing to bet anything it was something done at the factory, during the original assembly.

10. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    How about charcoal!
    John

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    In vast majority of cases whenever I hear/see someone making an "absolute" (i.e. "always", "never", etc) claim on original construction details of any (vintage) production cars, I tend to discount/ignore that persons "opinion" for likelihood of him/her having no first-hand (extensive) experience (working) on them.

Zanny1 likes this.
  12. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I had my Dino dash recovered by a fellow who worked at FAF in Atlanta. Bought the original material from FAF and it was just short of what I would call black. That car was always garaged and driven little and the dash still faded. Talked to the guys at Trincera in Italy while I was there and the owner remembered that the first runs weren't very good due to fading. The same mouse fur was used on my Stratos (1975) and has held up much better than on the Dino and the Stratos has seen a lot of sun.

13. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    We still have some original material of the mousehair. Our material is not full dark, more dark dark grey. We had a sample of the new material, and it had a slight violet shine and was more black than the original. I heard, that the violet now is gone, but I hadn´t had a recent sample in my hands so far.

14. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Does anyone know if the GTC4 came with an emergency plugin trouble light? There is a plug in for power under left side of dash, but wondered if there was a light supplied when new?
    Thanks,
    John

15. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    John, i could be wrong but if i remember correct it started 1973 or 1974 with Boxer or 308 GT4.

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    if a trouble light was included it would be shown in the owners manual.

17. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    None shown in manual, but does have the 12v outlet under dash for bayonet type plug in.

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    As I've pointed out before, just because something is or isn't in factory manuals doesn't make it accurate or "gospel" (I could fill a book or two with examples I've encountered in past 4 decades and I'm sure I'm far from only one).

Most manuals were usually produced at the time of final design and engineering of the car, often before any single example was actually produced, hence the need for supplements/updates, some of which still didn't receive every little detail change need encountered at the production line.

375+ and hagen111 like this.
  19. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Does anyone with a GTC4 have a trouble light they can post picture of? That came with the car originally?
    Thanks,
    John

20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    john
    if factory thought it necessary for the c4, then maybe the 365 boxer too. check the boxer forum for their findings.

21. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Can anyone advise what is the correct emergency window crank tool for a 365GTC4? I see them with brass gear and plastic.
    What is correct for original factory equipment?
    I need one to complete all originality in my GTC4 if anyone has a correct one available.
    Thanks,
    John

22. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Brass PM me

23. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Sent you PM, advise. thanks, John

24. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Time to add to the C4 love fest. My car (14953) arrived back Oct.23. Spent a year being stripped, painted and had some maintenance done. Two pictures for you. The first shows the two colors on the car - the original Verde Medio Niyinsky and the red repaint mentioned by Scantera earlier in this thread. The second is a shot a friend took on Ocean Drive in Newport RI on a drive we took after delivery. It is now ready for the next 100K miles. Enjoy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login