Is Muscle & Exotics the new Giovanni's? | FerrariChat

Is Muscle & Exotics the new Giovanni's?

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Jul 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I attended the first monthly Muscle & Exotics car show this morning at The Forum on Peachtree Parkway, the new shopping complex on the east side of GA-141, just north of Peachtree Corners Circle.

I was startled to see who was directing traffic when I arrived just before 9 AM. Remember Vinny from Giovanni's, the Italian restaurant about 7 miles up the same road who used to host a big monthly afternoon show over 10 years ago? This is his idea, and he's hoping to recapture some of the Giovanni's magic!

He sold the place he had opened on Sugarloaf Parkway in Duluth, and his new place is Fire & Stone Italian Pizza Kitchen, which uniquely has both wood-fired and stone ovens for both Neapolitan and American-style pizzas. I had a Neapolitan pizza for lunch and it was very good (and I got to take 1/2 of it home in the Ferrari!)

Although this show was on the last Saturday, future shows will be on the next-to-last Saturday morning of every month, from 9 AM to 12 Noon. And just like at Giovanni's, you can stay and eat! So the next show will be on August 22. (Ignore the "annual" on the poster - the show will be monthly.)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here are some of the 30 or so cars that showed up. The Dodge Boys were there in force; about 1/3 of the cars were late-model Challengers and Chargers, some with rather unique modifications and/or paint jobs. I had the only Italian car in sight.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4re308, DefunctNeurons and steved033 like this.
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I like the idea of doing the show in the morning. Traffic is lighter, it is definitely cooler, and there's less threat of the thunderstorms that are making noise outside as I write this!

The restaurant's website is at https://www.fireandstonekitchen.com/. Confusingly, there is another place called Firebirds Wood-Fired Grill just a few doors away!

steved033 likes this.
  4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    This makes my life difficult, as I have both muscle AND exotic.

sjd

4re308 and ATLdoghouse like this.
  5. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Thanks for scouting all of the available options Jim!!

6. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    I'm glad this was a success -- looks pretty good for a first time event. That's crazy that Vinny is behind it! Wow.

Jim, did you learn of it from my post in the other thread earlier this month? At the time, no one acknowledged it at all, which was disappointing since we all miss Giovanni's so much. Hoping this gains some momentum, as it has a nice location, food, and .....Vinny!
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147308932/

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    No, I get messages on Facebook from the page for Local Car Magazine, and a message for this show actually popped up over a month ago, but they were sending reminders during the week before the show. Local Car Magazine is a nice little magazine for $1 an issue.

And for steved033, find another driver and bring one of each! ;)

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Today's second installment didn't quite have the same attendance, in part because Vinny refrained from advertising it over weather worries. Curiously, none of the Dodges that dominated attendance last month showed up this time, so instead we had a show dominated by BMWs and Corvettes! And once again, I had the only Italian car on the premises. Here are some of the Beemers:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    4re308 and DefunctNeurons like this.
  11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    4re308 likes this.
  12. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I like the back up light was a $10 option. And seat belt Delete was a $10 credit if you did not need seat belts.

13. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    Did anyone go yesterday? How was it?

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I went instead to a similar gathering about 5 minutes from my house. I didn't feel like going all the way to Peachtree Corners. Maybe next month?

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This month's show is this coming Saturday morning, and I expect to be there if the weather permits (and the forecast has gotten better). If you have a Ferrari or another exotic, or a muscle car, come on over; only $5 to enter. If you remember the old Giovanni's gatherings, let's try to rekindle the flame! Free admission for spectators.

https://www.facebook.com/events/262110771792335/

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    As of now the rain should hold off until the afternoon. Keep your fingers crossed!

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Dang it, it's beginning to look like a washout. I'll look at the radar tomorrow morning before heading out, it I go at all. If not, maybe November? In the meantime, nothing to stop you from eating at Vinny's!

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Now the rain is supposed to hold off until 1 PM or later, so I'm going! Though I may not arrive until after watching GP qualifying. Anyone else going to join me?

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I suppose it was yesterday's grim weather forecast kept people away, but today's forecast was better, and the weather during the show was fine, with even some periods of sun and no obvious threat of rain. I made a few stops and got home to Marietta just after 1 PM, and the sun was shining!

Anyway, we had 9 cars that basically stayed for the duration, and nice variety of marques: Chevy, Dodge, Ferrari (mine), Ford, Honda, Lamborghini, Lotus and Porsche. I was particularly interested in the Civic Type R, having just bought a coupe of the same generation. Aside from the grippier seat and the stick shift, the main difference in the interior was a ton of red accents everywhere, but functionally it was pretty much the same. The Camaro ZL1 is a car that could honestly be listed in both the "muscle" and "exotic" columns, equipped with a Corvette Z06 engine. The Elise was the only other car there that was a veteran of the old Giovanni's meets; we need to see more of you at this show!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
  21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I haven't been there since, and I haven't heard a thing about it. There's a USO car show in Tucker that I might attend.

22. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    I just called there to confirm if these are still happening, and they said "yes, although it's been a while since the last one. we're trying to get back into it."
    They also added that this one instance is moved to next Saturday, June 5th, due to Memorial Day weekend. Doesn't make sense to me, as holiday weekends are more fun, and the weather forecast looks perfect, but ok, they probably have other reasons.

I really wish they would do a better job of updating the online info and promote this gathering, be it on facebook or wherever, because it looks like a great location and atmosphere. Would really like it to succeed like Giovanni's.