I think my Clutch of Diff has failed today | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I think my Clutch of Diff has failed today

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360Dee, Oct 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If this was my car, I'd get it on a lift, drop the pan and manually move the wheels with the car in gear, clutch in. That should help pinpoint exactly where in the transaxle the problem lies. If it's a bearing, might be a low cost fix. If it's deep inside, bummer, and get a new transaxle.

I certainly feel for your loss.

armedferret and flash32 like this.
  2. 360Dee

360Dee Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks. It's going on a lift tomorrow. Sadly cant have it in gear / clutch in as its an F1 box car but we plan to manually move things around and run the car in first and try to find the source of the noise

EastMemphis likes this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The Nottingham branch picked mine up from Heysham for £150 , this was a few years ago. If you have an f1 box i dont think it is a straight swap anyway and will need expertise . You can get them to tell you what needs doing and costs etc.

360Dee likes this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    i still think you r looking at a bearing on the rear drive shaft

armedferret likes this.
  5. 360Dee

360Dee Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks for the replies Mike. I'm weighing up all options... If it were the driveshaft bearing it'd be making noise rolling in neutral though wouldn't it?

I'm update you all once I've had the chance to look over the car/hear it on a lift

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #31 mike32, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Might not as it is not transmitting torque, the torque is power and will put weight on the bearing. Once you get the weight off the wheels you should be able to put your fingers on the bearings and feel a rough one when the shaft is turned. Or try a prybar and look for lift in the shaft. If it was gearbox i would expect problems getting gears to engage
    Look on u tube for info re drive shafts/

brookliner7, armedferret and 360Dee like this.
  7. 360Dee

360Dee Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hmm. interesting Mike. I'll be sure to check it all thoroughly. Yes gear's are all fine

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Eurospares have used wheel bearing and housing at about £200 + vat. Thats about half price ( assuming thats all it is)

9. 360Dee

360Dee Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just got the car home. Couldn't resist a quick jack and spin of the wheel.

This is in neutral :

https://youtu.be/14cAuDyNxwk

Any thoughts on this? Other wheel doesn't make the clank clank clank rollercoaster climbing type sound

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Looks like you narrowed it down to CV joint or the. Diff (clutch plates?)

So the same thing with someone listen to the CV joints on half axles .. and I think you will have your answer

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

EastMemphis likes this.
  11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You hope it is just your cv joint. Remove the axle on that side and strip it down. You are handy enough for that.

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    U r getting there- screwfix do a de walt impact for reasonable money, will make life easier

13. 360Dee

360Dee Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Another odd development...

Spin the wheel this morning and ...nothing. Wheel spins with about the right amount of resistance but no clank clank clank.

The only difference from last night to this morning is the car was hot from loading/unloading onto the recovery last night. Stone cold, not moved this morning.

I was ready to strip that shaft off but now I’m at a bit of a loss.

14. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I doubt the good fairy of Ferrari repair paid you a midnight visit. I suggest going ahead with your plan.

15. 360Dee

360Dee Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #40 360Dee, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Haha I doubt that too!

However... If I’m not able to trace the noise by manually turning parts how am I meant to track down where the problem is? Just a case of stripping the shaft and looking for something busted?

I’ll try running it on stands today.

EastMemphis likes this.
  16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Forget running it before u do more damage, get the half shaft out and see what is going on. Very simple job. Look on eurospares web site for a good drawing of the assembly.

flash32 likes this.
  17. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    You will need a solvent tank if you are going to open up the CV’s. The cage might be broken inside, but the whole CV will need to be cleaned to see what’s broken. I’ve used my wife’s Tupperware and gasoline in a pinch, but be careful of the fumes.
    When you put the CV back together, make sure it’s clocked correctly. Caterpillar grease is one of the best available for CV’s, I used it for years offroad racing. It comes in a tube for a caulking gun which makes things easier.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

360Dee and armedferret like this.
  18. 360Dee

360Dee Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks everyone.

I plan tomorrow to remove the shaft and briefly run it to see if the noise persists or if it has disappeared with the shaft.

We’re getting somewhere...

EastMemphis and armedferret like this.
  19. 360Dee

360Dee Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Got the shaft off today. Noise is still painfully obvious :(

Options seem to be :

A: Replace Trans (£5,500)
    B: Rebuild Trans (£800 labour for strip + £? for parts)

Anyone have up to date prices for crown / pinion etc? Need to try to gather an idea of worst case scenario once this is opened up.

20. Toonfosi

Toonfosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2014
    Valley Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Chad Woods
    Just curious, have you drained the gearbox/ pulled the mesh filter to inspect yet?

21. 360Dee

360Dee Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Grant

Not yet Chad. Will post pics when I do

Toonfosi likes this.
  22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Eurospares showing complete diff with shafts and bearings at £1800 plus vat or if its just the 2 roller bearings, about £110 ea plus vat. If u can id bearing will be lot cheaper from bearing wholesaler.

360Dee likes this.
  23. 360Dee

360Dee Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I seen that Mike, having called them they have no stock. The factory also have no stock although are apparently 'in production'.

I spoke with the re-builder this morning. His concern is that whatever has failed in the diff has fired swarf into the box effecting rendering it useless. Still he advises opening it and having a look.

24. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You might be lucky and find the roller bearing has failed, hope it has stayed in diff .Ferrari classic parts showing no stock either( part of graypaul ) give bh ferrari a ring and see if he knows of any bits, they do a lot of ferrari rebuilds and if you need an expert he is the man to go to. Probably the best in uk

360Dee likes this.
  25. 360Dee

360Dee Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks Mike, it was AV Engineering I was speaking with but I'll give BH a call too.