Oil change conundrum.......... | FerrariChat

Oil change conundrum..........

Discussion in '308/328' started by papparazzi, Oct 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. papparazzi

papparazzi Rookie

Nov 12, 2004
    Carlisle, MA 01741
    Full Name:
    Christian Delbert
    I just drained the oil on my 308. Is it better to refill it right away or wait 5 months for spring? If I wait, the new oils I put in will lubricate some of the top parts of the engine before I start it. If I fill the car with oil right away, it will settle in the sump during those 5 months! Any thoughts?

Also, I'm getting an oil leak ( yes, older Ferraris leak 100% of the time ) from the distributor on the upper cam ( I have an 83 QV ). It probably is a gasket and is it easy to change?
    Thanks for any help......I'll have a few months to remedy any situation.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Fill now

Reasons

It will absorb mositure
    It will keep some lower gaskets from drying
    It will bath the lower end in oil

Not scientific but answer based on some thought

You can crank engine a few revs with fuel pumps fuse in to lub engine after five months.. but that should be necessary

So put in, run until very hot like 212 or above and then store

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

waymar, JuLiTrO and mike32 like this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Never leave an engine dry, i used to put STP oil treatment in my mondial for 15 years, its good because it leaves a very sticky film on the engine internals, mine used to sit for 6 months if i was away at sea working. Never had an engine problem so i am a firm believer in its use

waymar and JuLiTrO like this.
  4. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    When oil has fully drained into the sump, I’m not sure anything is bathed in oil, but I’d keep it filled for a more peace-of-mind reason: eliminates any chance someone forgets and tries to start it dry.

Brian Harper likes this.
  5. Jeppedo

Jeppedo Karting

Sep 30, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Hi, don't know about the gasket, but before I parked my car I changed the oil, filter and transaxle oil and some other stuff. Let it sit until spring. Don't know why you would wait, it's just sitting there.

6. Jeppedo

Jeppedo Karting

Sep 30, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh yeah, that was last spring.

7. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I may know what’s going on, as I am working through a similar issue right now. First, some questions: Have you taken off the distributor cap yet? If so, is it filled with oil and can you post a picture of the cam sticking out? Is your engine running sub-optimally?

8. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    The only thing that will be bathed in oil is the oil pump and the pan. Gaskets won't dry out over the winter. If you leave oil in it or not, the only thing that will notice is the pan. I think the best advice is to fill with fresh oil, run for some minutes to run the fresh oil through the engine. Old oil can be acidic and have water or fuel in it.

9. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

I would leave the oil in for one single, simple reason. If you forget it's dry and start it up, you're f*cked.

I'd rather have dirty old oil than no oil.

No it's never happened to me.

Nuvolari likes this.
  10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I agree with the folks suggesting that oil ALWAYS be in the engine. The general guidance is that oil should be changed prior to storage (over the winter, whatever) though I have to admit I don't do this with any regularity on cars or boats I have owned.

As far as "bathing" the lower end. That doesn't happen unless you have grossly overfilled the engine with oil. The crankshaft/related assemblies do not contact the oil in the sump if the oil level is correct. Great effort is made in engine design to ensure the crank/rotating parts don't contact the oil in the sump or "pull it up" via crankshaft windage. Windage trays are one commonly used way to prevent that.

Re that, tests in the late 60's that demonstrated that a big block US muscle-car v8 with the OEM windage tray removed could, at 7000 RPM, pull 5 quarts of oil up out of the sump due to windage and turn it into a "tornado" of oil around the rotating crankshaft. This could essentially remove the oil from the pan and mean there was NO oil available to lubricate the engine. It also reduced HP due to the drag on the crank...though not for long since NO oil at 7000 RPM under load meant no engine in short order. ;)

11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    FANTASTIC ADVICE and brilliant in its simplicity. Add the oil now or leave it alone until spring. Don’t store it empty

kryten2001 likes this.
  12. papparazzi

papparazzi Rookie

Nov 12, 2004
    Carlisle, MA 01741
    Full Name:
    Christian Delbert
    Thanks everyone. As everything in life, there are always opposing views. I usually fill the engine with fresh oil in the fall. Why? Because any acids in the oil should not stay for 5 months. In the spring, before starting the car, I unplug the coils and crank the car for 15 seconds. Then I reconnect the coils and start the car.
    By the way, years ago I did the fall oil change to my Moto Guzzi LeMans ( motorcycle ) without replacing the oil til spring. Like some of you said, I forgot to refill with oil! Cost me an engine rebuild. Expensive lesson.........

13. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Exactly.

Even worse for those of us with dry sumps. You can't even read the dipstick to know whether it's got oil in it without starting it up.

Recipe for disaster right there.

14. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd fill it and start it up to check for leaks and give the internals a distribution of the fresh oil before the disuse period -- JMO.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I change every spring in all my vehicles whether full time use or stored. Been doing that for 35 years in my 308. We are way past the err of high sulfur gas and creation of sulfuric acid due to condensation isn't a significant issue. Since 2004 90% of sulfur has been removed from gas and it 2017 the requirement was less than 10 ppm. Other acids in the oil are largely controlled by additives and I don't consider them an issue as they will exist whether that car is used or in storage. They are more a matter of mileage than age.

Just my opinion.

16. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    If I ever leave my 308 in position of failure upon startup. I always leave the keys next to the issue that would cause it. ie: leave the keys next to the oil fill cap in this case ...... just saying......

17. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It’s easier just to pull the fuse Or relay for the fuel pump.

18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Or just tape a note to the steering wheel. Much easier.

waymar likes this.
  19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I put the key in and start it. It build oils pressure faster than cranking a 100 rpm or so. I think it's pretty ironic. I don't do anything special to my 308 or 355. Just pull them into the garage in late October, disconnect the battery and cover them. Come spring they always start right up. I get them warm, change the oil, check the tire pressures and I' off.

flash32 likes this.
  20. papparazzi

papparazzi Rookie

Nov 12, 2004
    Carlisle, MA 01741
    Full Name:
    Christian Delbert
    Actually, about 20 years ago I put an Accusump in my car. 14 qts. total and no sloshing of oil up the sides in hard cornering. The factory should include an Acusump with every car!

21. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    +1 for changing the oil in the fall. I like to let the car sleep on fresh sheets ;). Also, if you have oil leaking from the distributor, check the o-ring on the distributor cam...