812 losing control | FerrariChat

812 losing control

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by otakki, Oct 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016

Luckily no one seemed to have gotten hurt. Y'all stay safe out there.

Napoli likes this.
  2. Yellow355

Yellow355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Did I see the manettino dial all the way to the right? And the guy got on the gas while the car was just passing by someone on an electric scooter on his left and an incoming bicyclist on the opposite lane!!! I'm so glad others aren't hurt as this could've gone so wrong for everyone on that portion of the bridge. Hope he considered himself very lucky to have only destroyed the car and learned a valuable lesson.

3. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    .....and floored it with cold tires on a bridge.

TomAZ, mattcooke, Thecadster and 3 others like this.
  4. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Beeping sound while driving from bumper sensor malfunction?

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah, I watched it six or seven times last night, it seems like he must have hit some sort of moisture or at least cold cement for the wheels to spin suddenly like that. I can't tell where the Manettino is at but it shows why you should only go up to race mode when driving in the city. I think the beeping may be the lane change warning, detecting that cyclist?

I've had that skitter and sudden rev a few times in my F12, even at low speeds going over small bumps and smooth cement. But with the traction control on it catches. There are several intersections in downtown Las Vegas where the city thought it would be neat to make the crosswalks out of polished concrete.

Caeruleus11 and Napoli like this.
  6. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Interesting how the very 1st thing he did was hide the go-pro... cold tires / warm tires... take the nanny's off, it can come around on you.

I wonder if the owner knew their son was out driving? ( j/k )

Glad no one was hurt.

S

Caeruleus11 and Napoli like this.
  7. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Yes, but the bridge surface will be colder and moister. And, then there’s expansion joints and uneven surfaces and the like. Recipe.

8. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    He probably also lift gas pedal and step on brake.

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Nothing new here but hate to see it. Massive V12 with cold surface temps and I'm sure summer tires. Everyone had a coat on and bridges are not insulated. Don't poke the beast in those conditions.

Adamas, Caeruleus11 and Napoli like this.
  10. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I’m interested to know ,as I am about to collect an 812, had he been in wet mode would the car’s nanny systems have controlled that wheel spin for him or with wrong tyres/temperatures and a cold and possible wet road surface was it always going to happen ?

11. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    In my experience with my 812, the electronic stability control is very good, even in the wet and even in Race mode (I don’t go beyond this and turn systems off)

You need to be careful when the tyres are cold but otherwise it will be fine.

anyone who drives like an idiot especially in the wet will quickly be reminded that no stability control can overcome the laws of physics but for a reasonably skilled and sensible driver you have nothing to worry about

happy huntin’

Thecadster, Frank_C, ryalex and 2 others like this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Looking at it closely, I'm quite sure he is in RACE, not CT-OFF. But on a cold damp bridge, that is asking for it. Idiot.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Sudden downshift? His hands are slow and foot is too heavy.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is not the 812 SF which is losing control, it is the driver.
    The 812 is a monster and it is highly recommended to behave.

Marcel Massini

635CSI, Adamas, otakki and 13 others like this.
  15. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    In straight line, in wet, if you floor it you definitely wont get into such a skid. The response is quite tame and it will cut the gas as soon as it breaks traction.

16. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    From what I can see from the video, it appears he is in Sport mode (upper left corner of the right screen is white on this frame). Wet is blue, race is yellow. CT-off is orange, all off is red.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Idiots jab throttles instead of progressively applying pressure
    It appears that he may have over corrected his steering and
    stayed on throttle longer than he should have ?? just wondering

18. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    It seemed as though the driver timed his stomp to sonically blast the scooterboard guy on the left. And, it was at that precise moment, God decided to lay down the karma.

Adamas and italiafan like this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Don't count on it. I had a funny experience with the Lusso last year. Was not driving like a loon, was easing on the throttle behind another car in regular traffic on an on-ramp.
    Was about 6-7 C, slightly damp, but more dry than damp. Car was on MPS4S shoes with 3/4 tread left. Tyres were not "hot" but still around 15-20 degrees so not stone cold, had been driving for a bit. Anyhow, got on the ramp behind the car in front, so no room for play, and not in a hurry. Gentle acceleration with the car in WET. At around 60 kph the rear starts to step out. Nothing wild like this, but it did do a quick slap of with the tail. Yes, a bit cold for the tyres, but it was a Lusso with the 4RM system. Just goes to show why low temps needs to be respected and why winter tyres matter. London in October at this time of day, cold bridge etc. If you're on PZ4 shoes on a cold damp bridge, and floor it, even WET mode won't save you in an 812. And with the car in what looks to be RACE, it was inevitable.

Albert-LP and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    They never learn.
    Too many idiots believing in their "skills" (they took the basic "Pilota" after all and that makes them almost "professional", right?),
    turn the Manettino all the way up, any other setting is for "*******".

21. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    There’s some speculation in the comments section of the YouTube video that he is in Launch Control mode. When he’s at the lights, you can see him reach down and the LC bongs start chiming. Once in LC, ESC is off and remains off...

22. Rabies

Rabies Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    UK
    Just watched this and as a local I can tell you that this crash happened westbound on Lambeth Bridge in London. Judging by the light and the low volume of traffic, this car is being driven very early in the morning, so the tarmac would be cold and my guess is that the tyres were cold too. Cold or not, the driver did not have enough skill to cope with a large amount of right foot and the subsequent loss of traction. Also, its a 20 mph speed limit on that bridge he's less than 1/2 mile from the Houses of Parliament (hence the roadside barriers) so the Police (possibly armed) will probably have attended very rapidly to a crash on a bridge in that location.

23. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    See post #14.

Marcel Massini

24. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete