Can a stretched accelerator cable be fixed in a 550? | FerrariChat

Can a stretched accelerator cable be fixed in a 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by niftyfivefifty, Oct 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    I’ve noticed some slack in my 550’s accelerator cable (the section that connects the pedal with the left throttle body). Is it possible to tighten this connection similar to the 456 GT or will I need a new cable assembly? Thanks!

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It is adjustable to a point. Just know what you are doing. A stuck cable at wrong time is a bad day!!

3. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I assume you mean the cable connecting the two throttle bodies, not the cable from the pedal. There is adjustment on the LH valve cover bracket using the two jam nuts. Both rod ends are also adjustable. The cable from the pedal also has some adjustment possible with 2 jam nuts just behind the throttle body.

4. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    I am referring to part # 178185, the accelerator cable that connects the accelerator pedal to the throttles.

5. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Il Tifoso likes this.
  6. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Thanks! I adjusted that section, but at the point before the throttle opens, it still feels like there is slack in the cable. I’ll take a video of it tomorrow; I am curious to know if this is expected.

7. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Pretty easy to make your own cable. There are custom cable builders too. Search eBay, etc.

8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That cable is almost 1/16th stainless steel and probably has a breaking strength of near 300 lbs. so it's hard to imagine it stretching.

I suspect something else is happening.

9. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Plus be careful when you depress the accelerator pedal all the way its not stopping on the throttle butterfly. You don't want to put that kind of force on your TB. Most throttle cables have a small amount of play designed into them once the throttle hits the throttle stop to avoid what I mentioned above.

10. MartinM.no

MartinM.no Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    Oslo Norway
    Full Name:
    Martin Myhre
    Do now if relevant, but have you seen this....?

Il Tifoso likes this.
  11. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Its a different configuration in the 550, not quite so simple (at least not in my 2001)

12. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Hwyman, not sure what looks different in your 550 compared to the 456 in the video, my 2001 550 is the same as the 456 in the video. Maybe it is because the 456 in the video is RHD and so the cable from the accelerator pedal has to run behind the engine from the RH side of the car to the LH side of the engine rather than just a straight shot through the firewall from the pedal to the throttle body as it is on LHD cars.

13. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Mine doesn't have that large nut to adjust the cable, mine has circlips. The adjustment on mine would require the ball and socket section at the end of the cable to be adjusted.

14. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yours has circlips on both sides? The bracket on the RH valve cover uses a circlip, but the bracket on the LH valve cover should have 2 jam nuts. The cable is only adjustable on the LH side of the engine.

15. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    I checked, mines not the same for whatever reason