360 - Accidentally hitting the reverse lever? | FerrariChat

360 Accidentally hitting the reverse lever?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Aeron Fout, Oct 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    My reverse lever in my 360 F1 is broken. It doesn’t lift up past the detent anymore, which I’ve heard is a common issue. It just pulls straight back with no lifting. Is that detent the only protection against going into reverse while driving in 1st thru 6th, or is there something in the TCU that tells the car not to select reverse above a certain forward speed? I’m not having any issues with it, just wondering if it’s something to be cautious of. I’m having scary visions of a passenger accidentally bumping it and seeing the gearbox saying goodbye in the rear view mirror!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I believe some one has a repair kit for this and it’s not too complicated. At least that’s what I remember from a few years ago. Might try asking Daniel at Ricambi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ricambi America and Aeron Fout like this.
  3. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    I’ve seen that Ricambi kit and it’s the next thing I’m ordering for my car.

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

E60 M5 and Aeron Fout like this.
  5. CalonLan

CalonLan Rookie

Jul 24, 2018
    UK
    The reverse lever on my 360 came loose a year into ownership. No problems going into reverse so I put up with it for a year or so, then got it sorted during the yearly service at the Supercar Rooms in the UK. Seems to be a common 360 fault. The replacement part came from Hill Engineering. It's fine now, but I'm more careful about dragging anything across from the passenger seat.

Aeron Fout likes this.
  6. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
  7. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    I didn't even know there was a detent, mine just pulls straight back and returns forward.

8. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    What happens if you doing 50 mph and you accidentally hit the reverse lever?

9. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    This is my main concern and the reason I started this thread. I was hoping someone would know the answer to this. I have to believe there is some kind of safety measure built into the TCU to protect against reversing from high speeds, but I don’t want to be the one to test it!

Mel Spillman likes this.
  10. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I would be surprised if there isn’t a permissive on wheel speed that prevents engagement of reverse whilst the car isn’t stationary.

I don’t know for sure though, but I can be pretty certain that Wolfgang will have the answer. He’s completely decompiled and reverse engineered the 355 F1 system, upon which the 360 system is based. Fire a question in on his thread or PM him:

Hacking the F1 TCU
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/Hacking-the-F1-TCU.603531/

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Aeron Fout likes this.
  11. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    F1 software is smart enough to not allow it to go into reverse while moving forwards. It won't even let you change down into a low gear if you are moving too fast. It's reasonably idiot proof.

Mel Spillman and Aeron Fout like this.