Lower Cam Bearing Installation Tips? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lower Cam Bearing Installation Tips?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    I'd be willing to pay that price for one of those, if they are available. If so, please post ordering info!

Can you please measure and post the part's I.D. and the O.D.?

boatr2001 likes this.
  2. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    A quick internet search on that part no. turned up empty. Can you recommend a reliable supplier which you have used?

3. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    I was able to find that bearing but with C3 clearance.

4. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    E-bay UK has a listing for this bearing 6203-2RSH/C4-SKF

5. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Derek, I just spoke with NTN engineering dpt and the C4 bearing is no longer available. They have recommended the following. 6203LLUC4/2AS. They are looking further into it and will call me back.

6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

As I have said the person at SKF gave me all the info I needed and I told him what was there and he gave me info on their current offerings for 6203. I would be very cautious ordering SKF bearings on ebay, there are many counterfeits out there.

7. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

8. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Tommy, those 2AS bearings look great. Same temp specs but different grease supplier. How much are they as I may get a few spares.

9. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Derek,
    Not sure I didn't look in to it as I'm waiting on word from NTN on the best available bearing for the application., You really have faith on TNT products!!

10. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Has anyone experimented with hybrid bearings? They are suppose to be far superior than what we have been using at least for the lower cam application.

11. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    They do look good in theory but I have no experience using them. Hopefully they have been used in other harsh environments/industries and someone has or finds good data.

12. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
  13. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Afternoon Tommy,
    Yes, that is the correct position for the thrust washer.

John.

14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Some have asked about the "spring washer" aka belleville washer. There's a specific reason it's there, it's not a trivial reason. It would be easy enough and well within the capability of the factory to machine a pocket for the bearing so that it wouldn't need a spacer to take up the diff. So what is the reason? Thermal changes and gear thrust. The expansion rate of the timing cover is greater then the bearing and shaft mass, so at some point the bearing is free to float in it's bore, that's not a good thing as the outer race needs to keep from turning. Without the spring washer the entire shaft can float, also not ideal for a timing belt setup. In short it's to pin the bearing place and reduce vibration, harmonics and movement that can cause problems.

Honestly it's an ingenuous setup. Thought I'd share that.

Stupid thing can be a real PITA to install though.