Doing a track day in my 360 - any tips? | FerrariChat

Doing a track day in my 360 - any tips?

Discussion in '360/430' started by DDavid, Oct 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DDavid

DDavid Karting

May 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    DDD
    Specifically, known good brake pads, tyre pressure recommendations (Continental Contisport 285/35/ZR19) mainly interested in brake suggestions. Any help or thoughts/ideas would be most appreciated.

Darren Donovan likes this.
  2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Stock brake pads are fine. Just make sure you have plenty of thickness remaining. Fresh fluid is important. I use Motul RBF600.

Tire pressures can vary widely. I generally run mid 30's, meaning I start the first session in the low 30's and will have to keep letting air out for 2-3 sessions before they stabilize. Check the wear pattern at the edges after each session. There should be a marker on the tire that you do not want to exceed.

sparetireless likes this.
  3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Tire pressure in 30-32 psi range hot seems to work regardless of tire. StopTech sport pads work for me, but the pad compound is highly dependent on track (lots of turns close together vs long straights with hairpins at the end), and how advanced you are (later and harder braking). PFC11, Ferodo DS2500 or Pagid RSL if more advanced, heavier use.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I run Raybestos ST43 pads on Girodisc 2 piece rotors with ATE TYP 200 brake fluid. I'm not a fan of the fluid and will be swapping it out for Motul RBF600 as that's what I use on my bikes.

Tire pressures, I aim for 32-34 PSI (hot) on Bridgestone RE-71R's

5. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Oh, I also made some titanium heat shield shims for the pads but I'm not convinced they do anything and have them in there to preserve the dust seals as opposed to limiting heat transfer to the pistons

6. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    To give you an idea of tire heat gain, in my first 20 minute track session with my 2000 modena the tire pressures went from 32 psi cold to 42 psi RR (anti-clockwise track), 38 psi LR, 37 LF, and 39 psi RF.

Open your engine cover between track sessions, the engine bay gets really hot when you're pushing on the track.

You will honk the horn by accident when you're cornering. Don't be surprised when it happens.

Take your floor mats out of the car so that the driver's side mat can't jamb the throttle because of "excited" feet pushing the mat around. Ask me how I know this.

Have fun! Bill

Need4Spd and armedferret like this.
  7. Stev-o

Stev-o Karting

Sep 18, 2020
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    Stev-o de Italiano!
    Just curious, what track?

jag-oo-r likes this.
  8. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    Also, the 360's reputation is that it understeers. It does. At least for your first laps do all braking in a straight line before you turn into a corner. Later on, after some laps, you can move to trailing braking where appropriate.

If your car has an F1 transmission and you haven't had the opportunity to experience the way it changes gear in Sport mode above 7000 rpm, well, you're in for a treat!! The 360 is truly an incredible machine, especially for a 20 year old design. You'll have fun with it at the track. Let us know how it goes for you.

Need4Spd likes this.
  9. DDavid

DDavid Karting

May 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    DDD
    Thank you all so very much for the tips, I really appreciate your input. To answer one question, the track is Sandown in Melbourne, Australia and car is a 2000 manual Spider.