Sauber buys Sauber | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Sauber buys Sauber

Discussion in 'F1' started by Far Out, Nov 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Just seen this on the Autosport site: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80357

This part interested Me in particular: However, Stefan GP's chief Zoran Stefanovich has made it clear that there is no truth to the speculation linking his outfit with Toyota's actual entry – even though his outfit could yet make use of Toyota's 2010 car design for its own plans.

Based on that information, surely Toyota's vacant spot should go automatically to Sauber as that's what the FIA decreed when they made Sauber the first reserve team?.

Stefan GP seem to be under the impression that they stand a good chance of getting it instead though.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    According to Blick's Benoit the Stefan GP is a done deal: Toyota will gift its factory and team to Stefanovich so he can race the team in 2010. This will save Toyota from paying a $ 150 million dollar fine to the FIA for violating the Concorde Agreement.

While that eliminates the 13th spot for Sauber, it is virtually assured that they'll be given a 14th spot at the FIA's meeting in Monaco.

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks.
    Now where does this leave Renault? Is it worth it to them to pay the 150 mil exit fee?

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hardly.

I still think somebody should point them towards the Nissan rebranding idea. Seriously.

5. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    If there's anyone available at this late date.
    BTW Kudos to Steve on the Serbian scoop.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As I said, according to Benoit's Blick. He often portrays rumors as facts.

That said, it now makes sense why there were reports about Toyota continuing on their 2010 car and the workers showing up for work regularly.

7. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I have to ask . . . is this serious, or are you just having fun with us.

If it is real, then I think that kraftwerk and drive550pfb should form a team called "kraftdrive F-1." I can get Mika Hakkinen to drive, and I can get this guy from Dubai to fund it. (Oh, wait, I think his loan was just called.--OK, where is Peter Windsor when you need him.)

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
  9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I thought it was a joke myself until I read the reports. Stefan GP might be the new name for Toyota to avoid the $ 150 million fine from FIA.

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
  11. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
  12. ACross32

ACross32 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    Bay Shore, NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Nice! Now I wonder where Heidfeld will end up...Mercedes or Sauber.

13. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Why is BMW still mentioned? I thought is would just be Sauber or Sauber-Ferrari...??

Great news regardless.

14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I think Sauber's purchase was contingent on getting an entry so the formal entity that pending the sale has been granted the entry is still BMW Sauber Ag which will then be renamed on completion of the sale

15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Peter Sauber: "I would keep Kimi Raikkonen"

[​IMG]

Racing stable founder Peter Sauber talks about today's Formula 1 and explains why, in his opinion, the hybrid route is wrong. The Swiss would definitely keep the 41-year-old Kimi Räikkönen.

Former racing driver Peter Sauber made Sauber Motorsport AG in Hinwil out of a small sports car team from the 1970s, brought Mercedes back to motorsport at the end of the 1980s, won Le Mans and entered Formula 1 in 1993. In 2016, the now 77-year-old from Zurich sold his life's work to the Swiss investment group Longbow, which later agreed with the Fiat / Chrysler group first on sponsorship with Alfa Romeo and then on the new team name “Alfa Romeo Racing”.

Peter Sauber has not lost his interest in racing and usually attends a few Grands Prix each year. What the Swiss thinks of today's Formula 1, he says in an interview with SPEEDWEEK.com.

Mr. Sauber, do you still watch Formula 1 on television?

Yes of course. I've been away from the company for a good four years, and I no longer have any shares. But it's difficult to part with something you've done with all your heart for years. I follow Formula 1 closely on television and have the detailed times and dates of the Formula 1 management on my screen. If you have been used to that for years, you can read a lot from it.

What do you currently like about Formula 1, what do you dislike?

That is difficult to answer. I've been associated with Formula 1 for almost 30 years and there have always been ups and downs. One always wanted to reduce the technology, lower the costs, balance the field. Usually after a change it got worse than before. If you wanted to do something cheaper, it got more expensive. Mistakes were made there.

For example?

The whole hybrid campaign. Renault actually instigated it, Mercedes had to go along with it, and today everyone would be happy if these engines didn't exist in this form. These enormous costs, which will only partially go down with the upcoming budget cap, are the main problem. It hurts that a traditional team like Williams doesn’t disappear, but no longer belongs to the founding family.

Will the future be better?

That is hard to say. I see the future critically, even if Formula 1 has always survived difficult times. There is a lot of money involved. We are in a difficult phase. The exit of Honda, ultimately for financial reasons, shows the problem. The main problem remains the distribution of funds, even after the reform. The smaller racing teams are still getting too little. In other series, for example in the USA, distribution is more fair.

When you look back on your time as a team principal and owner, what would your conclusion be? Did everything right, or would you have solved this and that differently?

My career in motorsport lasted almost 50 years. In retrospect, you would probably do a lot differently. But you can't judge it that way. So today I would say: Yes, I would do it again, even if mistakes were made.

What has always amazed us: Why didn't a Swiss team succeed in attracting major Swiss sponsors in this rich country apart from Credit Suisse?

That's a fair question. The Swiss have a split relationship with the automobile. Nowhere else will you find so many luxurious cars as in Switzerland. The Swiss love their car. But when it comes to standing up for it, he doesn't stand up for it. Maybe that has an impact on the boardrooms of the companies. The fact that Credit Suisse was with us for many years was only due to the then CEO Oswald Grübel. Otherwise it would never have worked. The fact that UBS is now a partner of Mercedes was also because of Oswald Grübel, who became UBS boss after Credit Suisse. Other large companies such as ABB, today the title sponsor of Formula E, showed no interest, not even the private bank Julius Baer, which is also involved in Formula E. The boss at the time would have liked to come to us, but Formula 1 was ultimately too expensive.

Hypothetical question: If you were still team boss, would you sign Kimi Räikkönen for 2021 20 years after joining Sauber?

Kimi is a safe bet. If he has a chance to take something he continues to be a fighter and fast. He is very valuable to the team, I know that from employees. He works hard with the engineers and is also a regular at the racing car factory in Hinwil.

How can Alfa Romeo and Sauber move forward? Is it just missing from the Ferrari engine?

In terms of chassis, the team is on par with Ferrari. Charles Leclerc is a top driver there. If he's a little further ahead, it's the driver and not the Ferrari. The handicap of Alfa Romeo and Sauber is the engine. Not that much is missing from the midfield with AlphaTauri, McLaren, Renault. With a few more horsepower, the picture would be different. Still, the car has room for improvement.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/167339/Peter-Sauber-Ich-wuerde-Kimi-Raeikkoenen-behalten.html&prev=search&pto=aue

stavura, 375+ and Flavio_C like this.
  16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's an interesting question and answer. He feels Leclerc's skill is the primary differentiator between Ferrari and Alfa Romeo's current performance.

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Pretty apt this thread got resurrected after 11 years right on the day alfa renewed Sauber’s sponsorship, but for just 1 year.
    Mr Sauber might need to take possess of his team once again pretty soon

Bas and Flavio_C like this.
  18. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I'm very fond of Sauber F1, I wish they were involved in Le Mans and DTM too.

Bas likes this.
  19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If the Ferrari engine was halfway decent I think they'd be doing pretty good....definitely regular point scorers and the occasional top 7 finish.

20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't think so.
    You have to be in the first 10 to score points, and Sauber/Alfa is not among them most of the time.
    It's a mediocre team.

21. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul

Apparently the 2021 Ferrari engine is giving good results on the test bench so hopefully they will be more competitive.

stavura, greg328 and kraftwerk like this.
  22. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow Joe, it's a blast from the past this thread...

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The engine is only down 30 HP (3%)

24. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Its more than the engines, though that must be 50% of it. The drivers are a low talent wanna-be and and over the hill used to be. Alfa is just a petrie dish for Ferrari. And it helped Ferrari dump Kimi with some face saving all around. You could drop Alfa, Haas, and Williams from the lineup and never miss them, especially when you were lapping them. Seven teams and 14 cars would be more than enough. The others are just filler, like bread crumbs in meatloaf.