New 1975 308 GT4 Owner | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New 1975 308 GT4 Owner

Discussion in '308/328' started by Erol, Oct 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Congrats Erol!!! Btw that admin, Rob Lay is the fchat founder, if I’m correct. beautiful car!

The way many of these cars are lost are by fire from old hoses bad leaks - this should be priority one. Like stated above, gas drops hit exhaust- which weaves from the front end of the engine, right next to that gas tank to the back of the car -GOODBYE Dino . Given someone put a pinin badge on there, someone wanted her to looked loved..... do you know when your last major service was? A lot of careless owners let the rubber parts go (seals, bushings and commonly hoses). Cam belts should also be fresh - if you don’t know, change them very soon.

Are you working on the car yourself? If so, this is the best group on fchat. We will help you! Stay in the 308 forum. Start a “think my gas tanks are leaking” post and people will jump in.

Erol likes this.
  2. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Congrats! Love the GT4 and your car is gorgeous. The color is great. Neat that you have the original side mirror and rims. I've owned mine going on 35 years now and sill love driving it and just looking at it.

Fuel lines - like others have said, keep them in top condition. All of them: Large and small. There's a bunch. Very important ! !
    Fluids etc.
    Tires: Be mindful of the date. Tires over 6 years old just becomes an all around bad idea, unless you just trailer the car.

Erol likes this.
  3. Erol

Erol Karting

Sep 1, 2020
    New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Erol
    Thanks so much! Any idea where you spotted it? I sadly don’t have much re service records or ownership history so trying to find some of that out!

4. Erol

Erol Karting

Sep 1, 2020
    New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Erol
    Wow 35 years. I’m in love with the car as well. Bummed we got some snow and can’t take it out today!
    I put new tires on already (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Cinturato+CN36&partnum=07WR4CN36) and fuel lines will be the first project for the winter.
    My clutch is also slipping so will need to tackle that next. Adjusted the linkage but that doesn’t seem to have fixed the issue so looks like it will need to be replaced altogether.

5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    just Tom Yang's site. nothing before that....

did you check your VIN on the gt4 registry?

sjd

Erol likes this.
  6. Erol

Erol Karting

Sep 1, 2020
    New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Erol
    Ah yes of course.

Yep checked the registry but sadly not listed. Will keep digging!

steved033 likes this.
  7. Erol

Erol Karting

Sep 1, 2020
    New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Erol
    If it's helpful for anyone else, this turned out to be a DIY shield for the air pump!

8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Ah that's reassuring!

9. Erol

Erol Karting

Sep 1, 2020
    New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Erol
    Ok a few more noob questions. Pls bear with me!

Car is running really hot in traffic and only one of the fans seems is working (passenger side). If I were to pull the drivers side fan, does that require removing the grill or is there another way to get at it? Searched around and found a thread from the Birdman that mentions missing foam over the radiator (sure enough, mine has totally deteriorated and will need to be replaced!) but even in the cold New England weather today, was running close to 200 when I hit some stop and go traffic. Anxiety was high! Coolant is topped up, bled radiator and minimal air came out. Imagine it’s the fan for sure?

I also pulled the plastic cover from the front (btwn the spare and windshield) and found the attached. Can’t imagine this is how things are supposed to look but no idea what I’m looking at so would appreciate any information here.

I also had a new clutch assembly (went w AP from AW Italian), RMS, resurfaced flywheel, pilot bearing, o rings, etc installed last week. Things seemed wonderful until I suddenly lost all tension in the clutch pedal and had to pull over. After pumping the pedal a bunch of times, suddenly something popped back into place, tension returned and things have been ok though I’ve been hesitant to push the clutch to the floor. Any ideas what this might be? Possible the cable/linkage is getting caught on something when clutch is pressed completely to the floor?

Finally, any estimate what it might run to rebadge the nose? I can feel the recessed dimple under the nose so imagine it would mean stripping and removing whatever they used to fill the indent and then respraying that area. Curious if anyone has done it and what it might cost?

Again sorry for the newbie questions! I’m learning as I go here. Love this car!!!

Thanks

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    #35 absostone, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Remove grill just a few phillips screws. Not sure I remember but the second fan might run with AC? Not positive though. The clutch cable needs to be adjusted for approx 3 mm space at the throw out bearing. Im going from memory here. Im looking for the clutch set up sheet on my PC. Someone will chime in soon.

Erol likes this.
  11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Erol

The LH & RH fans are radiator cooling fans, triggered by the thermostat, they run together.
    The RH fan also acts as the AC's condenser fan, triggered when you switch AC on.

First check if the inop fan has power and ground, then the relevant fuses and relays.

Erol likes this.