The Last Pista | FerrariChat

The Last Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by C50, Oct 29, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I finally received my Pista and wanted to share.
    The design brief was the race car I wanted when I was a wee lad.
    First, it had to be red.
    After considering a couple dozen options, I finally selected R. Tornado, a triple layer TM color, inspired by the 750 Monza (so they tell me). It's non-metallic, and more red and, well, luscious than R. Corsa.
    On a color wheel of well-known reds, as you move from the orange of Dino, to Scuderia and then Corsa, Tornado would be the next stop. To my eyes, it doesn't quite transition to the cooler, more purple reds that follow in the spectrum.
    For the stripe, I considered different colors and combos but ultimately went with metallic B. Nart flanking the vintage non-metallic B. Biano. The white is wider than standard, and helps the metallic blue pop in the sunlight.
    Painted shields, of course.
    The exterior carbon is finished matt, which dials the flash down just a notch. Ultimately it was, for this car, the perfect grace note IMHO.

For wheels and calipers, I went with a brighter, matching pair which I think ties the theme together. Darker wheels and especially the carbon rims looked out of place.

I wanted a simplified interior, so opted against power-clashing stripes and stitching, and tried to minimize the variety of materials and textures.
    The seats are beige peccary with smooth panelling, the simplest seat design available, and cross-stitching on the side, to hearken back to the old days of racing.
    I love the seats. The fit and finish is superb, and the material is better than I anticipated.
    Quilted stitch patterns in the floor well and rear wall also evoke that era.
    Paddles are color-matched to the exterior, as is the TM badging, in matt Tornado.

I must acknowledge my appreciation to the tailor made team that helped me.
    So many details that they suggested, as well as some ideas I had that they gently advised against, really brought the whole car together.
    Left to my own devices, I would never have arrived at the final combination.

She's had her time in the spa, getting the paint corrected (minor swirls; Zanasi did a great job with the paint), complete wrap and then ceramic coat.
    I took her on a gas tank-worth circle-island drive today. Only 400 miles to go in the break-in period before I can really explore the driving characteristics.
    Because I ordered the car in the Before Times, and there were understandable delays and concerns with Covid, my wife surprised me by painting an updated version of the Road Warrior, starring us and the Pista as the Interceptor. Last of the V8s, it fits.
    She doesn't paint portraits or cars, but I'm stoked by how it turned out.
    It still needs a dirt layer and I'm trying to convince her to add the mohawk guy trying to break through the roof. When I brought up raising the suspension and changing out the wheels and adding some crash bars, she gave me a look that said 'don't push your luck.' She's the best.
    Funny: I pulled into a beach-side parking lot and went to a deserted corner for some glamor shots. Immediately, 6 people (3 different groups) appear to talk cars and take pics. Then three squad cars arrived to gently educate us (I only got two in the pic) that we were too many, too close, and not masked.
    No tickets, thankfully.
    Talked a little story with the officers, and of course we have common friends. Small island.
    I'm a lucky guy to have such a fun car with which to explore a small fun island.
    Cheers

NB I know this isn't the actual last Pista. It just feels that way to me.

bluesea, ferry430, Baitschev and 30 others like this.
  2. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Absolutely gorgeous color and spec! You did a fantastic job, well done Bravo!

I'm assuming that you got it at Velocity? A very good friend of mine is the new GM Chris Miele. You should definitely meet him if you haven't. Great car guy and a Ferrari enthusiast. He was the GM at my NJ Ferrari dealer. If you need an intro to him, please PM me.

Many happy smiles!!!!

J

C50 likes this.
  3. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Congratulations! Enjoy in excellent health!!

C50 likes this.
  4. FutureF

FutureF Rookie

Nov 28, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tom N
    Beautiful spec Pista. Is that china man’s hat in the first picture? Miss Oahu!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

C50 likes this.
  5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats gorgeous! Is there anywhere on the Island to really open her up?

C50 likes this.
  6. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    What a beautiful car!!

You have made a very well thought out choice.

What do you think of the sound?

May the Horse be with you

C50 likes this.
  7. MarkTodd

MarkTodd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Congrats, beautiful spec and lovely story. Enjoy!

C50 likes this.
  8. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Many thanks. I did get it at Velocity. They've taken good care of me so far. I haven't met the new GM yet, but maybe we'll cross paths at the Roma event in December.

Thanks, man

Thanks much. It is Chinaman's Hat.
    We're all here just chilling. Come on over.

Thanks
    Not really compared to the mainland, but one must adapt, right? There's brief moments of brilliance, and the scenery can be spectacular.
    With tourist numbers still way down, the roads are much more friendly to enthusiasts.

Thanks man
    Credit really goes to the TM team. They are worth the extra spend if one has an urge to go off the reservation.
    I'm getting the capristo installed, and I'm respecting the break-in rec of <5000rpm for the first 1000kms, so I really haven't experienced WOT.
    That said, even in the 4-5k range, it sounds much throatier than my now-gone 488gtb. I caught some burbles as well, which was welcome.
    Can't wait to really break her in and stretch the legs.

Thanks man
    Only 200 miles and the enjoyment is off the chart

SVCalifornia likes this.
  9. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Stands out! Great looking; so is this build considered a 2020 or 2021.

C50 likes this.
  10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Hawaii is so beautiful! It’s like the Caribbean but with Mountains! I have been to Oahu, Maui and golfed on Lanai still need to go to Kauai and the big island.

C50 likes this.
  11. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Much throatier than your GTB. That is interesting that you have experienced this.

Mine is dramatically quieter.

The Capristo no doubt will sort everything out!

May the Horse be with you

C50 likes this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Looks stunning along with the backdrop. Very nice indeed. Congrats and enjoy!

C50 likes this.
  13. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Thanks man. I was going for low-key stealth, but I may have blown it if the crowd and cops at a deserted beach park is any indication.
    It’s a 2020 (VIN was assigned before covid, if memory serves).

Yeah, I haven’t experienced it WOT so I’m not the best judge. Midrange sounds lower to my ears, but as to volume my verdict is out. I’m looking forward to the capristo, for sure.

Right? It’s ridiculous here. My wife and I have to remind each other that we’ve become the *******s in the postcards.
    Thanks!

14. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Congratulations! Awesome spec and you really gave it a lot of thought. Red paddles are a nice touch. Enjoy in good health!

C50 likes this.
  15. hairdoc

hairdoc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2015
    canada
    Full Name:
    HR
    What a beautiful car and great scenary to drive it in.
    enjoy it, its a blast

C50 likes this.
  16. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Beautiful... congratulations.

Upload a side photo when you get a chance. I’d love to see the painted shields and callipers you went for.

C50 likes this.
  17. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    This is the last Pista coupe made on the production line as the post topic states??

18. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    Anymore interior pics?

19. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Amazing, congratulations, love the quilted alcantara carpet!!!!!

C50 likes this.
  20. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    #20 C50, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Thanks man
    TM suggested the color-matched paddles as a pop of color to highlight the controls. The mocked up all sorts of color combos, solids and side dreamlines. Simple ended up being best, IMHO.

Thanks. I'm making progress towards the 600m threshold to really open it up. It's not not a chore to drive along the oceanfront, even at 1/10 the car's capabilities.

Many thanks.
    No, I don't believe it is the actual last pista off the line. It just feels that way to me.
    Like I mentioned above about the line from the Road Warrior, "last of the V8s."
    When I first started it up, I heard that guy's voice in my head, "last of the Pistas..."

Thanks man
    I like it more than I expected. When they proposed it as a nod to vintage cars, I was worried it would look overwrought or just busy. Because it's all black, it's a really subtle feature. Best part was being able to delete the rear wall netting. For some reason, I never like that stuff.

21. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Holy carp! That is a gorgeous car in a gorgeous location. And the gift from your wife, icing on a super sweet cake. Enjoy your awesome car...T

Thecadster and C50 like this.
  22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

GREAT SIDE shots. Wont find another one similar to yours. Love the painted shields. Love the aluminium calipers and wheels.

Question as I'm more of the silver caliper and wheel why did you go that way ? So many still go for the yellow or red.[/QUOTE]

Spider68 and C50 like this.
  23. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Thanks for the kind words
    I had similar color wheel/caliper on my 488 and really liked it.
    I went in thinking I’d opt for a darker rim and some color for the calipers. Maybe Carbon? Nah, enough roads here are junk that it’d be too risky.
    However when we explored different wheel/color combos on the configurator, this combo just seemed to fit the overall scheme best IMHO.

MANDALAY likes this.
  24. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Many thanks for the kind words
    It puts things in perspective: as fun as these machines are to enjoy, they don’t come close to fun and joy of family

tomc likes this.