Removal? - Door lower outer sill panels 60003803 and 60003902 | FerrariChat

Removal? - Door lower outer sill panels 60003803 and 60003902

Discussion in '308/328' started by Du_Man, Oct 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    #1 Du_Man, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    I cannot find a past post that speaks about the removal of the lower outer door sill panels.....#21 80' GTSi
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    (from Red Bay Car Parts....new panel)

Both of my left and right rear sills are mangled from years of abuse....probably with a floor jack.

After removing fuel tanks I get exposure to the sill panels...passenger side looking forward.

I think I can save my outer sills.....really no rust. I would love to remove them to panel-beat them back to perfection. How do you remove them? Or am I asking for a big rabbit hole to fall into?

callout #1.....what the heck is happening here? It's too mangled to see the fastening method or if there is even one.

callout #2....what fastening method is used along this edge with the upper panel?

callout #3....while I have a hundred questions - where can I find this fibrous material or appropriate vibration-deadening material to use before replacing the fuel tanks? I thought about a more modern water-resistant neoprene rubber.

Thanks all!

2. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    I had both inner and outer sills replaced on my ‘81, the inner and outer are welded together, you will need to cut out/grind off the welds to remove them, it’s not a small job Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Thank you, Richard, for the pic! It does provide some clarity! That looks nice to have the sill with crisp edges, straight and new!

The center part of the sill that comes over and into the door frame is the section that makes me reluctant to start the removal! Can't see what is happening under the paint. Plus the panels are expensive......makes 10 hours of panel beating more easier to accept!

4. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If there is no rust, my vote is to just do bodywork on them. They are thin non-structural panels as you know. You’ve gone through the trouble of removing the tanks, so you have good access from the rear. Finish the panel with Wurth’s Stone Guard and they’ll look great. You can use a pry bar and a block of wood against the frame rail to cajole the bent-up area back down into position.

waymar likes this.
  5. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Alex, appreciate the vote. I agree....at least the first thing to do is strip the paint off and get a start position of where to start prying and pounding. The Wurth's should forgive some imperfection.

6. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Pull the gas tanks, then hammer and dolly.

Many 308 cars have this condition due to careless lift operators.

7. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    A stud puller will also help. Best of luck!

8. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek

I went forward with removing the paint so I could see the crinkled surface better.....ughhh.

I bought an HF stud welder to try and pull the panel back out...

But trying to get the lower edge (spot weld lip) to pull down was impossible because of the way the lower sill panel is attached to the frame at this rear section.

I decided to cut off this "cauliflower-head looking section" and panel beat back to shape.

I have the panel straightened up now......now I need a MIg to tack it back on.