Alfa 75 | FerrariChat

Alfa 75

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by WJHMH, Oct 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I remember the Milano but this is the first time I've seen one of these in the US, let alone Dallas, TX. Very interesting to see these still on the road.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction likes this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The owner likes to dress up in leather and chains for fun.

"Thank you sir! Can I have another!" :)

showme1946 likes this.
  3. JoeCab

JoeCab Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Joe C
    IMHO that's a Milano that someone put European 75 badges on. Most likely a 2.5 liter Milano "Gold" edition based on the mirrors and red/amber tail lights.

Very few 75s had the accordion bumpers the US spec. Milanos came with.

m5shiv, WJHMH and pilotoCS like this.
  4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yes, certainly a Milano, and not a Verde at that. Someone put the 75 QV badge on the back. Interesting that the trunk lid has the Verde spoiler, but still has the non-Verde upper fender trim that should blend into this spoiler.

These are great cars and drive extremely well with one of the world's best engine notes.

I had a Verde for 6-7 years? Maybe something like that. I ended up selling it last year.

Makuono, WJHMH and m5shiv like this.
  5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    5 will get you 10 that it has

1) the ABS warning light on
    2) the airbag warning light on
    3) the check engine light on

I'm an alfa fan but the torque steer and poor reliability really hurt these things.

greg328 and pilotoCS like this.
  6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    What the heck are you talking about?
    Torque steer? They are RWD.
    Airbag? These things don't have airbags.
    ABS warning light? It's the same Teves system used on the 348/355. For mine above, you'll see the light on. I had recently replaced the rear calipers and didn't have everything buttoned up fully.

Otherwise, with all due respect it doesn't sound like you have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My mistake: Alfa 164 has the torque steer problem.

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Ever driven one?

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    164? Sure.

10. JoeCab

JoeCab Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Joe C
    These cars were pre-OBD, so there's not really a check engine light either. There are a variety of warning lights, such as low oil level, low oil pressure, low engine coolant, etc. but not a master CEL light per se. It's all attached to a large display called the "ARC" or Alfa Romeo Control unit - very 80s!

They are actually pretty simple and reliable once sorted out, and being the last RWD chassis Alfa until the 4C and Giulia came along, they have quite a cult following.

bjwhite likes this.
  11. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Don't know why TheMayor is talking rot about the Milano.

There were ABS issues, but it was down to the missing diagnostics. I wrote several articles on how to fix the Teves system very easily.

http://www.geocities.ws/MotorCity/Downs/3837/absdebug.html

DeDion rear suspension was excellent rear wheel drive handling, especially when using the Alfa SZ parts.

12. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    My only issue with these cars was not having enough power out the hole to beat an E36 BMW 325is

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Looks like the car had its trunk replaced with one from a 75 somehow.

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Ah The 75-my uncle has one growing up. (I’m
    European)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Unlikely. Rear trunk lid (including spoiler and red tail light blend piece) from a Verde and a 75 QV badge. And wheels from a GTV6.

I still have that exact badge as NOS I was going to put on my car. My car had lots of 75 stuff on it--the center console logo, the tail lights (proper amber indicators--yet the clusters look red), the grille, the headlights, etc. Basically like a 75 3.0 America as sold in Europe. I wanted to do the side indicators as well, but I never got around to cutting the front fenders for them.

16. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Where did you take these pictures? Looks like east side of the cascades somewhere. I would love to go for a drive wherever this is.

17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Leavenworth near and at my in-law's house.

fastback33 likes this.
  18. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Always had a soft spot in my heart for these cars and their funky styling. One of these days I've got to give one a try. (One buys old Alfas with the heart, not the head)

71Satisfaction likes this.
  19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Love the V6 motors in these cars. To bad they never put a 3.0 in the GTV6 other than in South Africa as it's lighter and has better handling and a shorter wheelbase. The Milano was funky in alot of ways, until you got it set up(lowered). I had 5 of these cars over the years and all but one is in Alfa heaven now, but their motors live on. Still have spare 3.0 and 2.5 Milano motors in storage. I am a parts collector I guess

zygomatic likes this.
  20. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    LOL - I don't own a Milano, but indeed I have procured a 3.0 from a deceased Verde waiting for its time to be called up for duty in our GTV6..

The Milano came out in the US right about the time I was graduating college. I was diving a 76 Alfetta Berlina 2.0Spica at the time and I remember the local Foreign Car dealer letting me take a 2.5 Milano out for a test drive (Silver, Gold or Platinum I don't recall, but I still have the sales brochures from that visit). Definitely no slouch for its time, and handling was great in a brand spanking new car. The e-brake was a little funky. So was the styling but it was an Alfa and that was enough for me to find reasons to love it. There have a loyal following. A going time admirer-but-before-owner Alfa friend in Boston just bought a beautiful Verde from the West Coast..

Cheers,
    - Art